Need advice for a good Logitech Universal Remote that doesn't cost an arm and a leg... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-25-2013, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For years I've been wanting to get one of those Logitech Harmony remotes but thought they costs too much. I'm fiddling around with about 5 or 6 remotes right now and I am TIRED, not to mention confused. Each one has their own functions and I'd always paused for a mere few seconds just to think what I was supposed to do with the one I'm holding. Needless to say, I am tired of it and I want one that can take care of business. My system consists of/in order of use:

- Cisco Explorer 4640HDC Cable box (Charter)
- Panasonic 42" Plasma
- WD TV Live HUB Streaming Media player
- Denon AVR-2310ci Receiver
- Panasonic DMR-EH55s DVD recorder (200GB)
-JVC DVD Player
and a couple of other audio decks.

I've looked at many Logitech remotes but they still seem to cost too high. I'm not looking at spending up in the hundreds, just something to consolidate everything into one, but it is also important they they MUST control all the features of my equipment. Which has worked for you guys and which is feasible for the money?

Thanks guys/gals for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-26-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Look into refurb 600, 650 or 700 to save money. I have a couple of refurb 600's I got for around $30 that work fine for a 5 device system. It that's still too much, many cheaper universals will also handle all functions of all your devices but will be more difficult to operate since the button names may not match the functions. For example, your Denon probably has around 400 functions (about 50 of which are on the original Denon remote). On harmony, you may have to put Zone2 Center Level+ on the 100th page of the screen, which will take you 50 button presses, at least, to access that function. Anything over 5 or 6 pages is impractical in my opinion. On a universal with no LCD, you may have to put such a function on double-shift-6, for example. In that case you'd either want to back off on your "every function" requirement, or make some cheat sheets listing the functions and buttons.

I find it's best to relax the every function requirement a little. I realize that I'm not going to use most of my receiver's 400 functions every day, so I put the ones I use often on the remote and am ok with pulling out my original remote for the others. So relegate your universal to every day functionality and use the original remotes for things you might only do a few times a year. Otherwise, you'll be endlessly paging through screens or referring to lists for many common tasks. Just because a universal technically can do every function doesn't mean it should.

I personal use JP1 remotes which are quite cheap (under $10) and handle every possible function for all my devices, but I don't necessarily program all of them.

EDIT: I just checked, and your Denon has 416 possible commands. I know I wouldn't want that many on my universal remote, but if you do, then go for it. That would be impressive on harmony and an interesting programming exercise on a JP1 remote. I'd probably do 10 or so multiplexed devices on a JP1 remote. That would be the most efficient use of memory.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-11-2013, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
^^Thanks. I'm gonna take a look in ebay and see what treasure lurks.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-11-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Does it have to be a harmony? The Philips SRU6008 is very nice for the price - I put a review on here some time ago.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Denon Avr2310ci 7 1 Channel Multi Zone Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page