Uverse box, onkyo amp now in the closet help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 06-30-2013, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had my HTD IR extender for many years. it has had mixed results, failing at times to turn on or off my amp and what not, mostly if someone blocked the 'eye' when using the macro button.

Now I've moved and have Uverse not Direct tv. I've now installed my amp and moved the STB into the closet with the amp. I am using the ATT remote and I believe it is RF to the STB. I can make the amp work using the htd extender, the TV is in line of sight obviously, but all commands for the STB do not light up the led in the eye for the HTD extender. I can use the ATT remote for all devices no problem, until I put them in the closet.

So I found a thread here about the Next gen extender, found it at smarthome. the site says use the 418mhz for att uverse.

I cannot control anything when I try and use it. It comes with one emitter and I can almost get it to work but with no consistency at all. then it seems to reprogram the remote and it wont even control my onkyo at all even from directly in front.

I will also want it to control an apple tv or roku when I get that as well.

DO I just get the harmony 915 ]http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-915-000201-Harmony-Ultimate-Customizable/dp/B00BQ5RY1G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372656915&sr=8-1&keywords=logitech+harmony+ultimate

and be done with it?

I tried removing the HTD extender and still the next gen was a failure.

Can I really control my setup in the closet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-01-2013, 06:59 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I don't have U-verse but if this is the remote you have > http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_sku=sku4760278, it's RF frequency is 433MHz which would explain why it's not communicating with the NextGen 418MHz base. If this is in fact the remote you're using maybe you can exchange the 418MHz kit for the 433MHz, however, I would think you'd use the base only and not place the transmitter in the AT&T remote since it has RF built in and will hopefully communicate directly with the NextGen base to control your other devices.

Another option would be to use any other IR remote with the NextGen you already have assuming the U-verse box can accept IR signals.

With that said, I've been using the 433MHz NexGen kit for several years to control two DirecTV HD DVRs, a Roku box, and an IR controlled HDMI matrix switch (all located in my basement) from my bedroom 1 floor above....works flawlessly.

Vin
post #3 of 15 Old 07-01-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Yes that looks like my remote. If this is the case then the 433 remote should work with the 433 spaceship right?
That would explain why it is messed up when I try it.

That being said shouldn't this remote function through my closet door already?
post #4 of 15 Old 07-01-2013, 11:05 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli nut View Post

Yes that looks like my remote. If this is the case then the 433 remote should work with the 433 spaceship right?
That would explain why it is messed up when I try it.

If your remote is the one pictured, then yes, theoretically it should work with the 433MHz spaceship.
Quote:

That being said shouldn't this remote function through my closet door already?

The receiver should work with the AT&T remote from the closet if it is the remote pictured, however, according to the 'Features tab" there is a USB adaptor required for RF control: ' •Simple plug-n-play USB adaptor, requires no power cords, or bulky antennas. Works with all U-verse receivers.'

Do you have that adaptor plugged into the U-verse receiver?

Also, I'm not familiar with the HTD IR extender so I can't comment on that.

Vin
post #5 of 15 Old 07-01-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

It appears there are 2 different remotes that look identical. I will have to peek closer and see if I can see anything that claims a frequency.
I have to assume RF is used for the STB since when the other components are selected my led 'eye' lights with all commands, but those directed at the uverse box.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It appears there are 2 different remotes that look identical. I will have to peek closer and see if I can see anything that claims a frequency.
I have to assume RF is used for the STB since when the other components are selected my led 'eye' lights with all commands, but those directed at the uverse box.

Interesting, it appears as if the AT&T remote just insn't sending a strong enough RF signal to control the cable box in the closet, yet, you say you can control the amp with it when used with the HTD extender which I have to assume is 433MHz if the AT&T remote is the 433MHz one previously linked to. What happens if you remove the HTD extender? Can the remote then communicate directly with the STB as it's designed to do? I'm trying to determine if the HTD extender is interfering with the signal between the remote and the STB.

Getting back to the NextGen...I wouldn't expect it to work with the AT&T remote since that remote presumably already has RF capability built-in. I'm assuming this is the remote you tried it out with???? Do you have any universal IR remotes you can try the NextGen out with? Have you tried it with the remote for your amp?

Vin
post #7 of 15 Old 07-01-2013, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Yes it works directly with the STB when the rf battery is removed. I did remove or disable the HTD extender for testing. When testing I was able to get the ATT box to power on at random times, however all other previously working functions pretty much stopped even in direct line of sight. So Picture this- tv on the wall, closet door within 1 foot of the edge of the TV. Reciver and STB now in closet. If I have line of site I can control STB but the door need to be open. I do not have the USB adapter I see in your att remote link. I searched on ATT and see there may be 3 others that look same, but are not claiming RF. I assume it must be RF since all other commands (tv, AUX) will light up the eye when commanded, yet the ATT (channel up, down, guide etc) do not illuminate the eye.

CAn I call someone at ATT? Hell no it takes an hour to get someone who knows nothing. NOt even going there.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-01-2013, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Light up the HTD eye when commanded

I have an older version of this
http://www.htd.com/Products/IR-Distribution/IR-BLOCK4
post #9 of 15 Old 07-01-2013, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

I might be able to try the amp remote, but I need it to work the ATT box also. Amp & remote are older 5 years or so
post #10 of 15 Old 07-02-2013, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Ok stb is Cisco ipn330hd remote is s10-s2
I think the answer is the smart hub Logitech
post #11 of 15 Old 07-02-2013, 07:31 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok stb is Cisco ipn330hd remote is s10-s2
I think the answer is the smart hub Logitech

Okay, so it's not an RF remote, that would explain why it couldn't control the STB in the closet. smile.gif Not sure why the NextGen isn't working, it may just be some compatibility issue with that remote. It sounds like you've already made your mind up regarding the Logitech but a couple of other things that might be worth considering first would be a cheap universal learning remote before you give up on the NextGen since you already have the 418MHz which seems to be the preferred version to work with U-verse.

The other thing that might be worth a look-see since your component closet is so close to your TV is this > http://sewelldirect.com/Sewell-Dual-Band-InjectIR-IR-over-HDMI-for-Remote-Controls.asp

Vin
post #12 of 15 Old 07-02-2013, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

I have an old sony rml500? don't recall the exact # but that worked perfect and can 'learn' Maybe see if I can get it to learn the cisco box.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-02-2013, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

I found this- does this mean something?

"Using Your Remote--
When using your remote, whether it be a Scientific Atlanta or Entone Amulet Remote the procedure for operation is the same."
post #14 of 15 Old 07-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I found this- does this mean something?

"Using Your Remote--
When using your remote, whether it be a Scientific Atlanta or Entone Amulet Remote the procedure for operation is the same."

eek.gif Not sure what you're asking....a little more detail needed.

Vin
post #15 of 15 Old 07-02-2013, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Just wondering if that is some remote 'language' that can be used or programmed into a remote... Everything is vague. not sure where to go for real answers. That's how I ended up here. At least its real world experiences.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech 915 000201 Harmony Ultimate Remote

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page