How do I use the Harmony One with an IR blaster? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-05-2013, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have never had to use an IR extender until now that I have my TiVo hidden away from the other components - which sits in the open.

Bought a Sewel IR blaster & it works well with OEM TiVo remote.

Now I want to use my good ole H1 to corral everything up.
Conceptually I can't get my head around how the H1 can control the IR that sits in front of the eye of the hidden TiVo.

How would I do this now that the IR blaster is part of the equation?

Do I have to program the IR extender into the H1 somehow?

Do I put a IR eye in front of just the TiVo or an eye in front of every components I want to to control with the H1?

I was thinking I just had to IR blast the TiVo since it was the only thing hidden & didn't need to IR extend anything out in the open.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-05-2013, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleM View Post

I have never had to use an IR extender until now that I have my TiVo hidden away from the other components - which sits in the open.

Bought a Sewel IR blaster & it works well with OEM TiVo remote.

Now I want to use my good ole H1 to corral everything up.
Conceptually I can't get my head around how the H1 can control the IR that sits in front of the eye of the hidden TiVo.

How would I do this now that the IR blaster is part of the equation?

Do I have to program the IR extender into the H1 somehow?

Do I put a IR eye in front of just the TiVo or an eye in front of every components I want to to control with the H1?

I was thinking I just had to IR blast the TiVo since it was the only thing hidden & didn't need to IR extend anything out in the open.

I'm confused how you say the Sewell setup works with the TiVo remote but you can't get the H1 to work... so if my explanation is too basic or I missed something please just try and clarify your questions.

Do you understand what the Sewell is really doing? It receives the IR signal from the remote, be it the TiVo or H1, and then transmits it via wire to the emitters which you place on the receiving eye of your TiVo unit and other equipment where you don't have line of sight for IR with the remote(s). Thus you are able to extend IR via the wires of the Sewell setup to the equipment that is hidden. There isn't anything to program with the extender... your remote/equipment shouldn't care that it is there. It's just relaying the IR signal.

Try using the H1 with line of sight to your TiVo. If your H1 works to control your TiVo with line of sight then it should work with the Sewell extender when the TiVo is "hidden." If the H1 doesn't work with line of sight to the TiVo then you don't have the H1 programmed correctly.

Once you have verified the H1/TiVo combination works correctly you need to verify the Sewell is working.

Put one of the Sewell IR emitters on the receiver eye of the TiVo.
Put the Sewell IR receiver somewhere out in the open where the H1 has line of sight to it.
Point the H1 at the Sewell eye that you placed and the signal will be relayed to the hidden TiVo.
The H1 should be able to control everything else that is out in the open where it has line of sight. You just need to extend the signal to the TiVo.
scl23enn4m3 likes this.

post #3 of 3 Old 07-07-2013, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterappleby View Post

I'm confused how you say the Sewell setup works with the TiVo remote but you can't get the H1 to work... so if my explanation is too basic or I missed something please just try and clarify your questions.

Do you understand what the Sewell is really doing? It receives the IR signal from the remote, be it the TiVo or H1, and then transmits it via wire to the emitters which you place on the receiving eye of your TiVo unit and other equipment where you don't have line of sight for IR with the remote(s). Thus you are able to extend IR via the wires of the Sewell setup to the equipment that is hidden. There isn't anything to program with the extender... your remote/equipment shouldn't care that it is there. It's just relaying the IR signal.

Try using the H1 with line of sight to your TiVo. If your H1 works to control your TiVo with line of sight then it should work with the Sewell extender when the TiVo is "hidden." If the H1 doesn't work with line of sight to the TiVo then you don't have the H1 programmed correctly.

Once you have verified the H1/TiVo combination works correctly you need to verify the Sewell is working.

Put one of the Sewell IR emitters on the receiver eye of the TiVo.
Put the Sewell IR receiver somewhere out in the open where the H1 has line of sight to it.
Point the H1 at the Sewell eye that you placed and the signal will be relayed to the hidden TiVo.
The H1 should be able to control everything else that is out in the open where it has line of sight. You just need to extend the signal to the TiVo.

Thank you walterappleby.

I got everything to work & finally understood - as you explained above - the various components just recognize their IR & will respond when it's their turn to be invoked. Including the Sewel Blaster.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech Harmony One Advanced Universal Remote

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page