Harmony 300 help (yes, I know it's old) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-06-2013, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let me start out these questions by saying up front that I'm a retired (thus on a fixed SS income and with limited funds) 65-year-old A/V sub-novice with Attention Deficit Disorder (NOT a joke, and no joke to live with, either). Over the past year, I've been collecting various A/V devices, and here's the list:

Denon AVR-3312CI A/V Receiver

Cisco Digital Cable Box Model RNG150N

Roku 3
Model 4200R

Panasonic Viera TV
Model TC-L42E50

Panasonic Blu-Ray Player
Model DMP-BD75

Panasonic All-Region/All-Code DVD Player
Model DVD-S68

Magnavox DVDR and VCR w/Digital Tuner
Model ZV457MG9

Oh, yeah -- an original-model Wii, too (not WiiU)

and last, but certainly not least, as it's my current PITA and most pressing difficulty, a Logitech Harmony 300 programmable remote.

I'd REALLY like to control everything, including the Cisco RNG150N Digital cable box, from the Logitech Harmony 300 remote, but as it's limited to controlling 4 devices, I don't see how that can be accomplished. Worse than that, I connected to Logitech's device set-up site (myharmony.com), and D/Ld the remote profiles for the:

Denon AVR-3312CI

Panasonic TC-L42E50 Viera HDTV

Magnavox ZV457MG9 DVD-R and VCR w/Digital Tuner, bi-directional dubbing (still have a LOT of personal video cassette tapes I'd like to save to DVD-R)

Panasonic DMP-BD75 Blu-Ray Player -- the saving grace here is that the Blu-Ray Player's remote will also control the Panasonic DVD-S68 All-Region/All-Code DVD Player (which I got because I bought a lot of Duke Video motorsports DVD in PAL format before Duke started releasing all their DVDs as all-region/all-code ). I could probably lose the Blu-Ray player profile, opening up a slot for the remote settings for the Cisco RNG150N cable box. At any rate, the profiles installed all right, then I went to try the Logitech Harmony 300 on my system. Following the rather sketchy instructions in the multi-lingual "manual" that comes with the Harmony, here's what I got: zip, zilch, bupkis, nada, nothing. I could point the Harmony 300 at my tower of power all the live-long day, and it would have exactly the same effect as using a popsicle stick as a remote. The individual device remotes work perfectly, but the Harmony 300 not. at. all. Wouldn't even make a single device light blink a friendly "hello." So either I'm misunderstanding how this device is supposed to work (hardly the first or last time), or the Harmony 300 ist kaput. Any help? Thanks! Bart Brown[Code 0]). I could probably lose the Blu-Ray player profile, opening up a slot for the remote settings for the Cisco RNG150N cable box.

At any rate, the profiles installed all right, then I went to try the Logitech Harmony 300 on my system. Following the rather sketchy instructions in the multi-lingual "manual" that comes with the Harmony, here's what I got: zip, zilch, bupkis, nada, nothing. I could point the Harmony 300 at my tower of power all the live-long day, and it would have exactly the same effect as using a popsicle stick as a remote. The individual device remotes work perfectly, but the Harmony 300 not. at. all. Wouldn't even make a single device light blink a friendly "hello."

So either I'm misunderstanding how this device is supposed to work (hardly the first or last time), or the Harmony 300 ist kaput.

Any help?

Thanks!

Bart Brown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-06-2013, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 758
I had one of those 300s for a bit, never worked right and returned it. They also require the special website programming (different from their other models) which was often inaceessible, too. I'd get rid of it and look at Harmony 600,650,700 models (I have a 600 & 650). Assume batteries aren't an issue and that you RTFM? smile.gif

post #3 of 12 Old 07-06-2013, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
First of all, thank you for being thorough in your post. To rule out some things, do you have a video camera available? A smartphone would work perfectly. Point the video camera at the front of the remote while pressing some buttons. The camera picks up IR frequencies so if a signal is being sent out, you'll see it as a white light lighting up. For what it's worth, I have three 300i remotes working fine, and I also have a Panasonic DMP-BD75 Blu-ray player being controlled by one of them as well.
post #4 of 12 Old 07-07-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the hot tip -- tried it with my wife's iPhone in video mode -- pressed every button on the Harmony 300 and not a single response on the iPhone (though I now have an excellent video of "Shaky Hands Theatre Presents the Non-Functional Harmony 300"). Fresh batteries in the 300 -- no joy on the iPhone. I have to say I bought this Harmony 300 about 3 years ago, when I thought I'd be setting up a Poor Man's Home Theater with my Panasonic 27" CRT STD TV, but -- thanks to a phenomenon I call "Serendipitous Synchronic Procrastination" (thank YOU, Dr. Jung!) -- I never got around to putting that system together, so now that I have an HDTV and all the fixin's and browbeat my son in law into putting everything together, this is the very first time I've tried to use the Harmony 300.

I'm going to try your suggested test again with a pair of freshly-charged Li-Ion batteries, and if that doesn't make visions of sugarplums dance on the iPhone's screen, I'm going to have to assume the 300 is DOA.

Many thanks for your generous help. Once again, I have to say, a technology-specific users' forum with untold hundreds of tech-savvy members is worth 20 million Pacific Rim outpost defense "tech reps" reading boilerplate help screens.

Peace

Bart Brown

PS: I also have an email tech support request in to Logitech, but I'm not holding my breath...
Quote:
Originally Posted by scl23enn4m3 View Post

First of all, thank you for being thorough in your post. To rule out some things, do you have a video camera available? A smartphone would work perfectly. Point the video camera at the front of the remote while pressing some buttons. The camera picks up IR frequencies so if a signal is being sent out, you'll see it as a white light lighting up. For what it's worth, I have three 300i remotes working fine, and I also have a Panasonic DMP-BD75 Blu-ray player being controlled by one of them as well.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-07-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I had one of those 300s for a bit, never worked right and returned it. They also require the special website programming (different from their other models) which was often inaceessible, too. I'd get rid of it and look at Harmony 600,650,700 models (I have a 600 & 650). Assume batteries aren't an issue and that you RTFM? smile.gif

I tried the special website programming, and, though the four devices showed up as being programmed to the H300, absolutely no joy resulted from pushing ANY buttons on the Harmony 300 (see reply to other answer to my post regarding iPhone video showing NO response to IR). And yes, I "R'd" TFM and used fresh batteries

I'll look at the other Harmony models -- right now I've got my necessary remotes paired down to:

The factory Denon 3312

My Comcast cable box/TV remote -- hilariously though I guess logically enough, all you can do with the Comcast cable box/TV remote is turn the TV and cable box on and off, and change channels, while the Denon 3312 remote is necessary to control volume and simple input-device selection. Since all audio (and video, for that matter) is processed through the 3312, that makes sense, but it seems I ought to be able to do that AND turn the TV and cable box on and off, AND control channel, input, and volume all in one package smaller than Comcast's humongous "Xfinity" blunt-weapon remote

Either of my Panasonic Blu-Ray, or All-Code/All-Region DVD remotes

My Roku 3 remote, which -- because of its peculiarities as a crude hand-held gaming device and its mini-jack headphone output -- cannot be replicated in a multi-device remote. However, the Roku 3 works SO beautifully -- my cable modem > router [Apple Airbase Extreme] > receiver and Roku connections are hard-wired gigabit ethernet -- and having SO much content available as an Amazon Prime user, the Roku remote is an absolutely necessary, though minor, inconvenience.

Assuming for the nonce that my Harmony 300 is Tango Uniform, it seems my only options in my gotta-be-under-100-bucks-or-my-wife-will-kill-me price range are:

Logitech Harmony 650 Remote Control (controls up to 5 devices) Price: $58.99

or

URC WR7 Universal Remote Control for up to 7 A/V Components with 4 Favorite Channel Buttons by URC Price: $20.31

I don't know anything about URC as a company, but 20 bucks and change seems fairly incredible for a 7-device remote -- can someone give me the bird's-eye lowdown on the URC remotes?

As a Mac-only user since 1989, I've spent plenty of money with Logitech over the past 24 years, and really with no complaint until this Harmony non compos remote. I have no qualms about going to another manufacturer if I can get a quality remote -- preferably a LEARNING remote -- that can control at least 5 devices, and costs less than 100 somolians.

Thank you all for all your help -- gotta love this forum!

Bart Brown
post #6 of 12 Old 07-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
There is nothing wrong with URC. They are a solid company, and are very well known for their high end remotes (check out the URC R40 and R50). The Harmony 650 is always on sale for under $40 bucks (refurbished model usually) if you keep your eye out. Ebay is a good place to buy them too, but be weary of unknown sellers selling broken ones. I'd recommend a remote with a display over one without just for the ease of setting up and using...either that or I'm biased towards the 'cool factor'. But I have no doubt you'll enjoy the URC.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-07-2013, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 325
You are definitely missing something major on the 300. Did you "update" the remote after adding all the devices?

That aside, all harmony share essentially the same device database and programming, so if you can't get a 300 working, a 650 likely won't work for you either. So you should hang in there with the 300 until you get it working.

While the WR7 is far better than a 300, it's nothing special. Remotes with it's capabilities are a dime a dozen. I have 12 devices on my $3 JP1 remote that runs circles around much more expensive harmonys and URCs. What you're paying for in a $60 harmony versus a $20 URC is harmony's huge database, PC programming, LCD for unlimited labeled functions, and activity macros. Those are big differences.

If I had 7 devices, I'd get a 7 or 8 device remote like the 700, not a 5 device 650.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-07-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

You are definitely missing something major on the 300. Did you "update" the remote after adding all the devices?

That aside, all harmony share essentially the same device database and programming, so if you can't get a 300 working, a 650 likely won't work for you either. So you should hang in there with the 300 until you get it working.

While the WR7 is far better than a 300, it's nothing special. Remotes with it's capabilities are a dime a dozen. I have 12 devices on my $3 JP1 remote that runs circles around much more expensive harmonys and URCs. What you're paying for in a $60 harmony versus a $20 URC is harmony's huge database, PC programming, LCD for unlimited labeled functions, and activity macros. Those are big differences.

If I had 7 devices, I'd get a 7 or 8 device remote like the 700, not a 5 device 650.

How do you get 7 or 8 devices from the 700? I bought one for my brother and pretty sure it maxed at 6. The 300 I had you needed to use a particular website to program, did that change later?

post #9 of 12 Old 07-08-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Myharmony gives you 8 devices on a 700, desktop software gives you 6.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-08-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Myharmony gives you 8 devices on a 700, desktop software gives you 6.

Didn't realize the two web services yielded different results for the 700....at least it seems that this is always a web based service, despite using one's pc. How about the 300, do they now have more than the one restricted website for programming? That was my experience when I had the 300, and often could not connect to the website for hours at a time.

post #11 of 12 Old 07-08-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Myharmony is new-ish and is only for new remotes (post 900). Old software and members site is for old remotes. Some remotes work with both, like the 700, but not the 300. Why the device limit on the 700 is different is anybody's guess. Myharmony has several other major differences, mostly missing features, so I try to avoid it if possible.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-08-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess I'm on the newer side of being a Harmony user. Started with a 650 using a site I'll have to confirm once at home (but accessed thru the Logitech harmony pages), then tried a 300 for a second setup, only to find it had a separate website for programming and gave up as mentioned, as that was different from that I'd used for the 650 and nearly impossible to access at the time, so ended up returning the 300 for a 600. Got my brother the 700 and while another unit to manage wasn't needed at xmas time, with his kids that could change at any time, will let him know about the additional capabilities...thanks.

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech Harmony 300 Remote Control Black , Denon Avr3312ci Receiver , Panasonic Viera Tc L42e50 42 Inch 1080p Full Hd Ips Led Lcd Tv , Panasonic Dmp Bd75 Ultra Fast Booting Blu Ray Disc Player , Logitech Harmony 650 Remote Control Silver
Gear in this thread - L42e50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page