Software for URC Remote - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 07-09-2013, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I received a MX880 remote as an award from work but then realized that I needed software to program it. I called a local dealer for the software, but he wouldn't sell it but offered to program it for me for $200. I thought that was too high considering that I have only 4 components that need to be programmed. I called URC, but they won't give it up. Is this software available anywhere? I didn't figure it would be this complicated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-10-2013, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 185
That's an odd item to receive as an award at work. Maybe just sell it on eBay and state that it doesn't include the software.

post #3 of 23 Old 07-10-2013, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

I had a selection of merchandise that I could choose from. I needed a new remote, so that is what i chose. I think that I will sell it. It's been more trouble than its worth trying to get the software.
post #4 of 23 Old 07-10-2013, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
i'd be interested in it......I have two other URC pieces I'm having to look for software fo ,might as well make it Three's the chram!wink.giftongue.gif
post #5 of 23 Old 07-10-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardvark View Post

i'd be interested in it......I have two other URC pieces I'm having to look for software fo ,might as well make it Three's the chram!wink.giftongue.gif

And you'll need a third piece of software. The MX900 Editor, MX3000 Editor, and the MX880 Editor (if it is an older model) or CCP.

post #6 of 23 Old 07-10-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Bryan I think you're getting the mx880 mixed with mx810. Where the mx810 has a separate editor, the mx880 and mx900 can both by programmed by the CCP.
post #7 of 23 Old 07-10-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 382
If I were you, I'd keep searching. Somebody posts links to all the URC software in this very forum every few months.
post #8 of 23 Old 07-11-2013, 02:55 AM

Liked: 16
Just pay someone $200 seems fair. I charged more and so does Magnolia A/V chances are if you had the software you still wouldn't be able to get it right anyway.
post #9 of 23 Old 07-11-2013, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post

Bryan I think you're getting the mx880 mixed with mx810. Where the mx810 has a separate editor, the mx880 and mx900 can both by programmed by the CCP.

No, I assumed the MX900 needed its own editor and not CCP. Early MX880's needed the MX880 Editor, then they changed to become CCP compatible. Not sure if the early MX880s were ever firmware updated to work in CCP.

post #10 of 23 Old 07-11-2013, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

The odd thing is that the remote came with a programming cable. I talked to a few people who are interested in taking it off my hands. They are kind of balking at needing to have someone program it for them though.
post #11 of 23 Old 07-12-2013, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
So the CCP software only works on certain pieces ? Guess I'll have to keep looking for software for each piece frown.gif .On the brighter side at least if and when I can find them I'll know to keep them handy if I go back to doing installs as the lakeside community I live close to has severail homes that have the older 850 series as I've had to modify them when I added new tv's,,changed over dvd"s to Blu-rays ,ect. .Allways wondered why so many people had their own files on a computer!!!

As to the rest ,No I would'nt consider 200.00 excessive if one was programing asystem for a whole house [2~3 remotes,350 units,,multable macro's ect.] but a simple 3~4 devise ,no hidden unit point and shoot type setup I couldn't justify {wink.gif on my paygrade anyway }t That is why I would never have bought one of these from Magnolia . I used to have a copy of the 850 software on my old laptop because as I mentioned a fair amount of pepole from up north who have retired to the lake near me have those in systems they brought with them . So I am somewhat familare with the way it programs .URC at that time would let you download the program to load them it just didn't update it self. I'm not saying the fee's are to high for every where but for my area very few are interested in that kind of cost to add a couple of pieces of equpment.. If there was I would have long ago spent the money to become a dealer?installer for the URC brand ,but the5~6 times a year I run into one of these its much easer to just tell them.....{ I't a Dealer only sytem ,I'll just replace it }
post #12 of 23 Old 07-12-2013, 11:30 AM

Liked: 88
No, CCP works with a lot of pieces. There are only a few consumer-targeted or really older remotes that don't work with CCP.
post #13 of 23 Old 07-13-2013, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

I was able to sell the remote. I am now looking at getting the Roomie Remote app.
post #14 of 23 Old 07-15-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevydee View Post

I was able to sell the remote. I am now looking at getting the Roomie Remote app.

That should be pretty easy to find.

post #15 of 23 Old 08-13-2013, 05:03 PM

Liked: 10
I have also tried to get the software from URC and they continue to state their software is proprietary but this does not address their deceptive advertising practices. The fact URC is stating their software is proprietary, copyrighted and private property doesn’t address my complaint, as nearly all computer software is proprietary, copyrighted and private property. If this is their position it should be clearly stated in the manual so consumers can make an informed decision base on the facts and not mislead customers by “HIGHLY RECOMMENDIING A PROFESSIONAL AUDIO INSTALL”.

The below comments are Directly From the MX-880 Operations Manual which leads you to believe consumers can program these remotes: The MX-880 is programmed via a Windows PC equipped with a USB port (programming cable included). It also states, "To fully automate an audio/video system the programmer must have a detailed knowledge of each component and how the system is connected and operated. We highly recommend that you use a professional audio/video installer to program your MZ-880 so you will be able to enjoy all the benefits of the MX-880. This Manual only recommends a professional audio install and doesn’t indicate the programmer must be a trained representative of URC. This is definitely not clear a user technically proficient to program a remote control. Without this software I will need to spend approximately $200 each time I require any changes to my Audio / Video equipment - 2 remotes. I have filed a complaint with the BBB of New York and filed a complaint with the Attorney General in New York.

If anyone knows where I can get the software it would be appreciated.
[/SIZE]
post #16 of 23 Old 08-13-2013, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The programmer doesn't need to be a trained rep of URC. Dealers ARE allowed to give out the software to their customers (some do and some don't) and I would only buy from a dealer who also provided CCP. The software isn't terribly difficult to use but MOST people would benefit from some professional help especially if programming a more complex system including something like an MSC400.
post #17 of 23 Old 08-13-2013, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pientkafl View Post

I have also tried to get the software from URC and they continue to state their software is proprietary but this does not address their deceptive advertising practices. The fact URC is stating their software is proprietary, copyrighted and private property doesn’t address my complaint, as nearly all computer software is proprietary, copyrighted and private property. If this is their position it should be clearly stated in the manual so consumers can make an informed decision base on the facts and not mislead customers by “HIGHLY RECOMMENDIING A PROFESSIONAL AUDIO INSTALL”.

The below comments are Directly From the MX-880 Operations Manual which leads you to believe consumers can program these remotes: The MX-880 is programmed via a Windows PC equipped with a USB port (programming cable included). It also states, "To fully automate an audio/video system the programmer must have a detailed knowledge of each component and how the system is connected and operated. We highly recommend that you use a professional audio/video installer to program your MZ-880 so you will be able to enjoy all the benefits of the MX-880. This Manual only recommends a professional audio install and doesn’t indicate the programmer must be a trained representative of URC. This is definitely not clear a user technically proficient to program a remote control. Without this software I will need to spend approximately $200 each time I require any changes to my Audio / Video equipment - 2 remotes. I have filed a complaint with the BBB of New York and filed a complaint with the Attorney General in New York.

If anyone knows where I can get the software it would be appreciated.
Should have bought the remote from an authorized dealer and this whining would not be necessary. You would have known up front that it requires dealer programming unless the software was going to be included with the purchase.
post #18 of 23 Old 08-13-2013, 06:48 PM

I can't speak to all URC products that require CCP but all the ones I've bought have had a big red label making it very clear that software isn't included
post #19 of 23 Old 08-13-2013, 06:56 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by praz View Post

Should have bought the remote from an authorized dealer and this whining would not be necessary. You would have known up front that it requires dealer programming unless the software was going to be included with the purchase.

I purchased my first remote from an authorized dealer and paid him for programming. After $300+ in programming fees from the "pros" what I got in return was the functionality of a $15 remote from the drug store. Actually the drug store remote was better because it would actually turn things on and off instead of just pretending it did.

Not all URC authorized dealers know what they're doing and none of them can beat a system designed by the user who has the time and patience to learn how to program the device and will be using it every single day in the manner which they find to be the most convenient. Even a very capable programmer can only do so much in 2 hours of programming and certainly won't be able to foresee every real life usage scenario. Also paying a dealer $100+ to come back out and choose some different IR codes from the database just because you switched out a piece of gear in your setup is ridiculous.
Michael950 likes this.
post #20 of 23 Old 08-13-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehan View Post

Not all URC authorized dealers know what they're doing and none of them can beat a system designed by the user who has the time and patience to learn how to program the device and will be using it every single day in the manner which they find to be the most convenient. Even a very capable programmer can only do so much in 2 hours of programming and certainly won't be able to foresee every real life usage scenario. Also paying a dealer $100+ to come back out and choose some different IR codes from the database just because you switched out a piece of gear in your setup is ridiculous.

I agree that the quality of dealers can vary. I went with URC (as opposed to a much more closed system like Crestron) specifically so that I could make my own changes and tweak along the way. It's obviously too late in your case but for others looking for a dealer it's important to ask up front if the software will be provided. I'm sure many here could recommend a good dealer.
post #21 of 23 Old 08-13-2013, 07:29 PM

Liked: 10
I did purchase two MX 880 and two base stations along with additional equipment from an authorized URC dealer and they completed 4 TV installs to include a 9 seat theater room, surround sound in my home and they never informed me that I could not update the remotes or required additional software for programing and none of URC advertising indicated only a authorized URC professional could update the remotes. In fact their advertisement leads you to believe just the opposite. I realize it is on me but I was in the process of relocating from AZ and moving into a new home and never thought to ask for software - most remotes you just plug in a USB which URC provide and you connect and the software is downloaded. What is disturbing is their Deceptive Advertising in their Operations Manual and Limited Warranty Documents l which I did read.
post #22 of 23 Old 08-13-2013, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twells View Post

I can't speak to all URC products that require CCP but all the ones I've bought have had a big red label making it very clear that software isn't included
The same is stated on the URC website. My first URC remote was a 980 and have have bought several others since. They have all come from authorized dealers who were also willing to provide the software as part of the sale. Nothing deceptive is going on here. At worse is the lack of due diligence before the purchase.
post #23 of 23 Old 08-14-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pientkafl View Post

I did purchase two MX 880 and two base stations along with additional equipment from an authorized URC dealer and they completed 4 TV installs to include a 9 seat theater room, surround sound in my home and they never informed me that I could not update the remotes or required additional software for programing and none of URC advertising indicated only a authorized URC professional could update the remotes. In fact their advertisement leads you to believe just the opposite. I realize it is on me but I was in the process of relocating from AZ and moving into a new home and never thought to ask for software - most remotes you just plug in a USB which URC provide and you connect and the software is downloaded. What is disturbing is their Deceptive Advertising in their Operations Manual and Limited Warranty Documents l which I did read.

URC didn't sell you the remotes, your installer did. Go complain to them that you wish to have the software.

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Urc Mx 880 48 Device Ir Rf Remote With Color Lcd , Universal Remote Mx 900 40 Device Ir Rf Pc Programmable Remote 418 Mhz

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page