Using Harmony Remotes to control Google's Chromecast Stick - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-26-2013, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58

With all the excitement generated by this week's release of Google's new "Chromecast" device, I was curious whether its possible to interface with Harmony remotes.

For example, to use a Harmony remote to control playback (pause, play, ff, rw) of chromestick content once you've pushed it to the TV from your computer, tablet or phone.

It would seem that the answer would be "No", but since the chromecast appears to be listening to Wifi connected devices, I suppose its possible that the Harmony Hub could communicate with it if the Harmony team updated the firmware to allow that (and added Chromecast to their device database).

My Blog >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

My Equipment: 70" Vizio M-Series | Directv HR34-700 | Denon AVR-591 | Harmony Smart Control | Samsung LNT-5265 | PS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-26-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I was wondering this too. Searching 'Hamrony and Google' brings up your thread................

I am assuming that controlling the 'Chromecast' player will have to be WiFi.

I have a Harmony One and plan to use an AVR HDMI input for the Chromecast.

I think what I will do is set up an activity for Chromecast on the Harmony One to switch on the TV and AVR and select the correct AVR input - but it seems I will have to control the Chromecast from another device (phone, tablet, PC etc).

Shame everything else in our home video set up works using only the Harmony One......
post #3 of 5 Old 07-26-2013, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post
I think what I will do is set up an activity for Chromecast on the Harmony One to switch on the TV and AVR and select the correct AVR input - but it seems I will have to control the Chromecast from another device (phone, tablet, PC etc).

Right, at this point, it would appear that's the extent of what you can do until we know more.

Google Chromcast Developer SDK Page

My Blog >
|
|

My Equipment: 70" Vizio M-Series | Directv HR34-700 | Denon AVR-591 | Harmony Smart Control | Samsung LNT-5265 | PS3
post #4 of 5 Old 08-05-2013, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hdmi-cec....
post #5 of 5 Old 10-17-2013, 07:15 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post

Hdmi-cec....

Since the Chromecast can control the TV power and input it is logical to think the TV should be able to control the Play, FF, RW and pause functions of the Chromecast. Hopefully Google broadens the CEC functions in the future. My Vizio TV CEC buttons on the remote will not control the Chromecast. The Chromecast shows up as a CEC device in the Vizio's setup page.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Google Chromecast Hdmi Streaming Media Player , Logitech Harmony One Universal Remote With Color Touchscreen

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page