Official URC Remote Thread for MX-780, MX-890, and MX-1200 - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 60Likes

post #271 of 671 Old 10-27-2014, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Thanks! Given I can get one pretty cheap, maybe I'll give it a shot. iRule isn't bad but I love hard buttons! :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by adk highlander View Post
Not at all. You configure the ports just as you would the IR ports but just use a different database with the commands. The nice part is even if all the commands are not in the database you can just add the commands manually if you have the list or know the command structure.

The biggest difference using a 400 base station is all the commands are stored on the 400 and you just send "triggers" from the remote to activate the commands on the 400. If you already have CCP then just go to the manual for the 400 and it gives nice examples of what I mean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 671 Old 11-06-2014, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone ever have problems with some of the database codes? I have a Sony STR-DN1020 that's listed in the database, but just noticed last night that the button assigned the code for the MD/Tape input (which I have my Wii plugged into), won't change to that input. I tried entering it again and no luck.

So, I figured I'll just learn it from the original remote, but everytime I tried to learn, I got a timeout error. So two questions. What might be the issue with the database? And, why can'y I learn the codes?
post #273 of 671 Old 11-09-2014, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Learning Mode for mx-1200

I just installed powered curtains in my HT. They use an RF remote. Is there a way to learn the commands with the MX-1200?

Traveler

post #274 of 671 Old 11-09-2014, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Probably not - unless there is an IR interface to learn them
post #275 of 671 Old 11-20-2014, 10:55 AM

Anyone try to replace the LCD screen on the MX-1200? Or for that matter, any remote LCD? I got some numbers off the back of the LCD after I took it apart, but three places I tried all said they don't carry anything like this. Any ideas as to where to start or if it's at all possible? People fix cell phone LCD's, so I would think it's possible.
post #276 of 671 Old 11-20-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschildt View Post
Anyone try to replace the LCD screen on the MX-1200? Or for that matter, any remote LCD? I got some numbers off the back of the LCD after I took it apart, but three places I tried all said they don't carry anything like this. Any ideas as to where to start or if it's at all possible? People fix cell phone LCD's, so I would think it's possible.
You're not going to find an aftermarket replacement screen, they do not sell enough for there to be market for something like that, unlike cellphones. So the only replacement would have to come from another broken mx-1200, say with unresponsive keys?

Anyways if the mx-1200 is like recent URC remotes the lcd screen is glued to board, you can't get them apart without destroying them. I have replaced screens in urc-300, Rf10, and mx-850, back then the screens would attach to the board through a slot, with a wedge keeping it in place, very easy to release. Recent URC models like the urc-r50, mx-450, and mx-780 have all been glued together.
post #277 of 671 Old 11-20-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 255
rschildt:
Have you contacted them directly and ask if the screen is even available?

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1977. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #278 of 671 Old 11-20-2014, 02:04 PM

MRF-260 issue

I'm having a problem with a single piece of equipment when I try to use a RF-IR repeater. The Vizio TV responds to a direct IR command from my MX-900 remote, but not the IR signal from the MRF-260.
I re-checked to see if there is any conflicting RF signals and I changed RF channels, I have even re-positioned it for more of a direct lint to the TV, but there is no response. The LED on the 260 does respond to commands sent from the remote.

Any ideas here? Out of over a dozen of other devices over the years I have had the 900 that were programmed into it, this is the first not to work through the 260 repeater.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1977. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #279 of 671 Old 11-21-2014, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
You're not going to find an aftermarket replacement screen, they do not sell enough for there to be market for something like that, unlike cellphones. So the only replacement would have to come from another broken mx-1200, say with unresponsive keys?

Anyways if the mx-1200 is like recent URC remotes the lcd screen is glued to board, you can't get them apart without destroying them. I have replaced screens in urc-300, Rf10, and mx-850, back then the screens would attach to the board through a slot, with a wedge keeping it in place, very easy to release. Recent URC models like the urc-r50, mx-450, and mx-780 have all been glued together.
Well the cable to the LCD on the MX-1200 is also glued to the PCB. Oh well...It was worth a try. I've got a friend whose and electrical engineer at Motorola. Maybe he has an idea if it can be removed in some way without trashing it.

EDIT:Actually found an article on someone who did a similar thing to a control module in a VW. Might be do-able.

Last edited by rschildt; 11-21-2014 at 09:59 AM.
post #280 of 671 Old 11-23-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
rschildt:
Have you contacted them directly and ask if the screen is even available?
Yes....Waiting on a reply from URC support/sales. They claim I'll get a response with 48 hours, but I'm not holding my breath. It's been a couple of weeks on a different question I posted to them on another issue. I don't think they like to respond to consumers.
post #281 of 671 Old 11-25-2014, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Can someone please tell me if URC X7 is compatible with MRF260 base station
post #282 of 671 Old 11-25-2014, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by madnaxal78 View Post
Can someone please tell me if URC X7 is compatible with MRF260 base station
Yes. It is the same as the MX-780.
post #283 of 671 Old 11-29-2014, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Transfer program to MX780 MX890?

LCD on MX900 just died. I created the ccp programming for it. Is there a good method of copying the programming across to a MX-780 or equivalent? I could not find a response to this kind of issue beyond "give me a call" or "that it took a very long time and a lot of searching" in some old posts. Most of my programming was a couple years ago (ah, how they can forget details), so it seems that copying or modifying the ccp file would be very nice. Is there a general approach or could someone point to a discussion on this? I attached my current mx900 file FYI.
Just looking at CCP it looks like you could add another device, like a 780, in the system designer and maybe copy buttons off the 900?Could there be a simpler way to port the configuration over......
UPDATE - found a solution - CCP Transporter (may have to fiddle with macros and punchthroughs, but it will copy from the same file, different remote, or from different files)
Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: zip mx900mooreR13 add Sonos with macros.zip (10.7 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Floydo; 12-01-2014 at 02:51 PM. Reason: UPDATE
post #284 of 671 Old 11-30-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
I'm having a problem with a single piece of equipment when I try to use a RF-IR repeater. The Vizio TV responds to a direct IR command from my MX-900 remote, but not the IR signal from the MRF-260.
I re-checked to see if there is any conflicting RF signals and I changed RF channels, I have even re-positioned it for more of a direct lint to the TV, but there is no response. The LED on the 260 does respond to commands sent from the remote.
Any ideas here? .
This may be a sensitivity of the Vizio TV...If you search on DTV Pal you will see the same issue. I played and played with it to find out others had the same issue. Only have read speculation on why.....You could try a stick on emitter with various masking/distancing..
post #285 of 671 Old 11-30-2014, 09:29 AM

You are talking about overload?
If so, nope that isn't it. In fact right now the 260 is 4' from the set, about 8" lower and it works fine. If I move it up to the top of the end table, the set doesn't see the signal.

post #286 of 671 Old 11-30-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
You are talking about overload?
If so, nope that isn't it. In fact right now the 260 is 4' from the set, about 8" lower and it works fine. If I move it up to the top of the end table, the set doesn't see the signal.
If you search on the DTV issue with the 260 there is only speculation and experimentation as to why. From memory several people played with distancing, off angles and other odd methods...but there were no good solutions I could find...Your issue may be different, but I mentioned this due to apparent similarity based on your original comments.
post #287 of 671 Old 11-30-2014, 10:43 AM

The narrow pattern includes the Vizio remote so it only seems like it's the receiver on the TV.
But, thanks a bunch for the input. The problem is solved, though not ideally.

post #288 of 671 Old 12-01-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Picked up a new MX-780 (X7) this weekend to replace an old 880 that was dying. After explaining to the kid that, no I didn't need it programmed and that I had the software which devolved into him explaining that this was not possible, I gave up and told him that he was right, but that I wanted to buy it anyway.

I have read that the programming of the 780 and 880 are the same, but I have been unable to find a way to use my 880 program to load to the 780. Is there any way to do this easily or do I just need to reprogram the 780 from scratch?

Thanks.

Please do not send me PM's asking for software! You will not get it.
post #289 of 671 Old 12-01-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herdfan View Post
Picked up a new MX-780 (X7)
I have read that the programming of the 780 and 880 are the same, but I have been unable to find a way to use my 880 program to load to the 780. Is there any way to do this easily or do I just need to reprogram the 780 from scratch?

Thanks.
See my post 283, similar question. After some searching.....Take a look at Transporter, its purpose is to transfer component settings to a new remote. Seems to be working, but there may be some macro and punchthrough issues.

Last edited by Floydo; 12-01-2014 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Discovered more info on solution
post #290 of 671 Old 12-01-2014, 04:09 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydo View Post
See my post 283, similar question. After some searching.....Take a look at Transporter, its purpose is to transfer component settings to a new remote. Seems to be working, but there may be some macro and punchthrough issues.
so, before i go to far, i have a question.

im going to be using a mx780 to control a few things and regarding the ir and rf function.

i have three tvs, with three dtv boxes each. when i want to turn on each independent tv, do i still utilize the ir and rf function? or how do i control the tv to come on as well as dtv boxes?

more information: using rf base station, ir outputs from base to each independent dtv box, all located in audio closet. the three tvs all located in the same room, and 2 out of 3 are the same brand but on opposing walls.
post #291 of 671 Old 12-01-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cds42 View Post
so, before i go to far, i have a question.

im going to be using a mx780 to control a few things and regarding the ir and rf function.

i have three tvs, with three dtv boxes each. when i want to turn on each independent tv, do i still utilize the ir and rf function? or how do i control the tv to come on as well as dtv boxes?

more information: using rf base station, ir outputs from base to each independent dtv box, all located in audio closet. the three tvs all located in the same room, and 2 out of 3 are the same brand but on opposing walls.
cds42,
You are asking a system design question beyond what I have worked with, but it sounds like you need to do some reading as this may be wandering off topic. Spend some time in the ccp manual and on remote central related to system layout. From what I understand you will use rf to control the base(s) that only work in the closet, ir to control the tvs..they are ~6 separate devices. If you want to, for instance power them all up, write a macro including each device in sequence with appropriate pauses. If you want to power up individually then go to each tv (or tv power function if on one page) in your 780 and ir power each up....If some tvs (ir) have the same codes, good luck with a more complicated implementation....IR/RF output is set for each device.
cheers
cds42 likes this.
post #292 of 671 Old 12-02-2014, 08:35 PM

cds42,

I don't think you will want to use the IR at all from the MX-780. You will want to use the IR emitters stuck to the 3 tv's and 3 dtv boxes. You could use a MRF-350 which has 6 independent IR outputs. Then in CCP you would set each TV and Box to different outputs on the MRF-350. If you use the IR on the remote, the 2 tv's that are the same will probably react to the IR signal from the remote.
post #293 of 671 Old 12-03-2014, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydo View Post
Thanks for the reply. I was unable to copy the buttons over, so given that it is a simple setup, I just reprogrammed from scratch.

Please do not send me PM's asking for software! You will not get it.
post #294 of 671 Old 12-03-2014, 08:52 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by topp View Post
cds42,

I don't think you will want to use the IR at all from the MX-780. You will want to use the IR emitters stuck to the 3 tv's and 3 dtv boxes. You could use a MRF-350 which has 6 independent IR outputs. Then in CCP you would set each TV and Box to different outputs on the MRF-350. If you use the IR on the remote, the 2 tv's that are the same will probably react to the IR signal from the remote.
the main function as far as the tv goes will be to simply power on or power off the three tvs via the remote, as they are all in the one room, outside of that the controls will be for the dtv boxes or avr commands located centrally in an av closet operated via base station. if that makes sense? i guess i mean:
power tv1
power tv2
power tv3

commands outside of that will be relegated to dtv1-2-3 and avr and associated accessories. trying to keep it relatively simple...at this point!

very eager to begin this learning curve! i look forward to many moments relying to coming here, and hopefully in the future to providing answers to others!
post #295 of 671 Old 12-04-2014, 08:45 PM

cds42
Unless you want to set up macros and time it so you have to point the remote to one side of the room to turn on one TV then flip it to the other side I would seriously think of running IR emitters to the TV's. You already need the base station to control the components in the AV closet.
post #296 of 671 Old 12-23-2014, 11:59 AM

Liked: 13
This is a great thread - lots of useful info.

I was thinking of whether to upgrade my few years old MX-900 to MX-890. No real reason to - but the extra 5 buttons would be nice to have. My only concern was that the shape of the 890 is not so distinctive so I won't be able to find the buttons in the dark just by tactile feedback.

And then I see this thread, and the fact that the remote comes without software to program it with - so I can be blackmailed by a dealer, after spending about $400. I have one message for URC - keep the remote control, thx.
post #297 of 671 Old 12-23-2014, 01:05 PM

The software is available if you look for it without charge.

post #298 of 671 Old 12-23-2014, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by st_o_p View Post
This is a great thread - lots of useful info.

I was thinking of whether to upgrade my few years old MX-900 to MX-890. No real reason to - but the extra 5 buttons would be nice to have. My only concern was that the shape of the 890 is not so distinctive so I won't be able to find the buttons in the dark just by tactile feedback.

And then I see this thread, and the fact that the remote comes without software to program it with - so I can be blackmailed by a dealer, after spending about $400. I have one message for URC - keep the remote control, thx.
You can also talk to your dealer. Some of them will provide a copy of the software when you purchase the remote. I have a 780 and a 890, it is pretty easy to find the buttons once you get used to the remote. In any event they are backlit so you can see the buttons even in a darkened HT.

Good Luck
post #299 of 671 Old 12-23-2014, 02:51 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
The software is available if you look for it without charge.
Oh, I'm sure I can find the software. My point is that after spending that kind of money on a remote I shouldn't have to go trolling the torrents. The software should not only come with the remote, there should be support available from the manufacturer. I bet 90% of the people out there don't care to learn how to program so the dealers can provide service and make money. For the rest of us - I don't appreciate being shortchanged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoering View Post
You can also talk to your dealer. Some of them will provide a copy of the software when you purchase the remote. I have a 780 and a 890, it is pretty easy to find the buttons once you get used to the remote. In any event they are backlit so you can see the buttons even in a darkened HT.

Good Luck
Thanks for the tip on the backlight. Good point.
I don't have a dealer. And I don't feel like looking for one when the remote is available plenty of places online - a click away. In any case - I decided not to bother - for now. Maybe next year I'll look for remote upgrade again.
post #300 of 671 Old 12-24-2014, 02:01 AM

st_o_p;
You aren't alone with your beliefs. That is the #1 complaint against URC's poor business model just like TiVo's. Basically, stupidly and bullheadedness with both companies. BUT, you don't have to go the "torrent" route.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Mx 780 Universal Remote Control , Mx 890 , mx-900

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page