Official URC Remote Thread for MX-780, MX-890, and MX-1200 - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #301 of 307 Old 12-24-2014, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Your complaint would be valid if URC's business model was selling remotes to end users. However, they sell through dealers only similar to buying a car. So URC won't be selling you a remote without software since they won't be selling you a remote at all. The dealer you buy it from has the option to provide you with the software.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 307 Old 12-24-2014, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
Your complaint would be valid if URC's business model was selling remotes to end users. However, they sell through dealers only similar to buying a car. So URC won't be selling you a remote without software since they won't be selling you a remote at all. The dealer you buy it from has the option to provide you with the software.
You're right about that part.

But I'll guess URC is in the business of selling remotes not making dealers rich. All the people that will go to Logitech instead can't be a great business. And there's a huge difference between a car and a remote, let's not kid each other. BTW I bought my MX 900 online and programmed it myself. The software was a bit clunky but not rocket science to figure out. I'm pretty sure it came with the remote (although it's been a few years so don't remember). If I had to go looking for a dealer - I wouldn't have bought one.

To me someone who will buy $500 remote and not be able to change anything on it without paying more $100s to a dealer is off his rocker. If you have to incur that kind of cost every time you change blu-ray player or projector or a TV - that's just crazy. But hey - it's a free country.

Ok, I'll stop these posts - they don't add anything to the thread at this point.
post #303 of 307 Old 12-24-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 211
That's not what I meant about the car. You can't go to Honda and buy a car. You go to a Honda dealer. Good luck with your Harmony. It can work well for most people.

post #304 of 307 Old 12-24-2014, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll provide a different perspective...

I have a Harmony remote that I've used for years. Works absolutely awesome for me. I'm planning on relocating my receiver in a enclosure that is out of sight, so I picked up the MX-780 and MRF-260. I tried out the programming application and it's not an easy task, especially to have it maintain state like the Logitech does (knows what components are on). I have relocated my receiver so I haven't programmed it yet, but I'll have to devote a good amount of time some day to figure it out. The Harmony setup is very simple (because it's not as flexible), which makes it a better consumer remote. I can only imagine the support calls that Universal would have to deal with if they expected average consumers to be able to program these.

Also, people that are spending $500 on a remote are usually the ones that have another company install their very expensive A/V system. And for DIY'ers like us, we can access the software and have the skill to be able to program it, so what's the issue here?
post #305 of 307 Old 12-24-2014, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
If your devices have discreet codes I would use those versus logic remembering power states. I haven't ever used or programmed a Harmony remote so not sure how difficult they are. But with the CCP the first time is the hardest. Then it becomes easier.
post #306 of 307 Old Today, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
In CCP, is there any way to replace a graphic / icon you used for a device with a new graphic without having to recreate the device from scratch? I know when you press delete for a button, it asks if you want to delete everything or just certain parts. I can't seem to find a way to copy a new graphic over an existing one.

I have a macro recorded, and I don't want to overwrite it.
post #307 of 307 Old Today, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschildt View Post
In CCP, is there any way to replace a graphic / icon you used for a device with a new graphic without having to recreate the device from scratch? I know when you press delete for a button, it asks if you want to delete everything or just certain parts. I can't seem to find a way to copy a new graphic over an existing one.

I have a macro recorded, and I don't want to overwrite it.
I went to the device menu and dragged a new image over an existing one.

Here is the dialog:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-12-27 23_58_08-Replace.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	445353  
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Mx 780 Universal Remote Control , Mx 890