Official URC Remote Thread for MX-780, MX-890, and MX-1200 - Page 13 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #361 of 377 Old 03-12-2015, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
If I were you, I'd set the HTPC to auto-login. Also, if you get an Flirc dongle instead, you can map any command to any key sequence. This can also be done with Event Ghost or any number of smartphone apps (I like Hippo Remote) over IP.
The login works fine (I need a login / password for my WHS 2011) and all I need is a 4 digit pin and then press Select. I'm trying my Flic, but for some reason it getting multiple presses on my Alt-Tab combo, and it just cycles thru all the open programs. Not sure what the problem is. I'll need to investigate further. Event Ghost may be the next step.

I'm surprised CCP doesn't have a config for a keyboard built in though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 377 Old 03-12-2015, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 35
post #363 of 377 Old 03-22-2015, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschildt View Post
The login works fine (I need a login / password for my WHS 2011) and all I need is a 4 digit pin and then press Select. I'm trying my Flic, but for some reason it getting multiple presses on my Alt-Tab combo, and it just cycles thru all the open programs. Not sure what the problem is. I'll need to investigate further. Event Ghost may be the next step.

From what I understand, Plex is based off forked XBMC code which was written to mostly use keyboard input. MCE and other remote support was added later but it still just only works with remotes that have supported drivers. Still the best (and most flexible) method of controlling XBMC/Plex is using a keyboard. Some MCE remotes have the capability of having their button presses interpreted by the OS as keyboard presses, allowing you to further customize what that key press does when XBMC/Plex is running. The Flirc dongle works by mimicking a keyboard device for the system. You then program button presses from a remote to simulate whatever keyboard press you like. In my case, I have an extra Popcorn Hour remote that I quite like, so programmed my Flirc with that (FYI, you can also use multiple remotes, mixing and matching keys as you like), so now I can control XBMC with the PCH remote. To get this all working with URC, I simply create a HTPC device on the 780, and use the PCH entry in the IR Database. Now my 780 is sending PCH remote codes to the Flirc which in turn, controls XBMC. I have found this setup works really well and will give you a solid HTPC experience, plus allow you lots of flexibility with controlling what buttons perform what functions on the HTPC. If you want to go further, look into Event Ghost to set up macros for performing tasks in other applications or on the OS itself.
post #364 of 377 Old 03-22-2015, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschildt View Post

I'm not sure I understand why your WHS 2011 requires you to use a login on your HTPC, unless you are using your WHS as your HTPC? If the issue is network share related, you can use Credential Manager to store network credentials for a local user account on the server for authentication purposes. On my HTPC, I ususally have a non-admin user setup with no password for running XBMC, and a separate admin account for installing software, etc. My network shares require a different username/pass so I set up my mapped network drives and save the credentials so I don't have to re-enter them after every startup.

Alas, I have strayed pretty far off topic. Hit me up with a PM if you have more questions.
post #365 of 377 Old 03-22-2015, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Smile MX-890 variable

Hi I am new to this forum.
I like the way peoples share their experience and everyone seems to help

i am stuck with variables on my mx-890
i set 1 variable but when i want to add a second one (TV IS ON) , i can't figured it out how to

Here is my file .
Hope someone would help me

Thank you

Martin
Attached Files
File Type: zip 890.zip (18.7 KB, 4 views)
post #366 of 377 Old 03-22-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyguay1 View Post
Hi I am new to this forum.
I like the way peoples share their experience and everyone seems to help

i am stuck with variables on my mx-890
i set 1 variable but when i want to add a second one (TV IS ON) , i can't figured it out how to

Here is my file .
Hope someone would help me

Thank you

Martin
Click on the Variable button in the Macro Window and select Add New
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AddNew.png
Views:	23
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	619065  
post #367 of 377 Old 03-23-2015, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAstronaut View Post
I'm not sure I understand why your WHS 2011 requires you to use a login on your HTPC, unless you are using your WHS as your HTPC? If the issue is network share related, you can use Credential Manager to store network credentials for a local user account on the server for authentication purposes. On my HTPC, I ususally have a non-admin user setup with no password for running XBMC, and a separate admin account for installing software, etc. My network shares require a different username/pass so I set up my mapped network drives and save the credentials so I don't have to re-enter them after every startup.

Alas, I have strayed pretty far off topic. Hit me up with a PM if you have more questions.
I believe the reason I needed a password was for the remote access to work correctly in WHS 2011. But as you said, we've strayed off topic, and I don't mind having to do it, as it works fine with the 4 digit pin I have setup on my Microsoft account on Win 8.1.

I finally have this working to my satisfaction. I followed park of what bgoering found at Remote Central. The file didn't have the codes I was looking for, but I did find use that and copied some other hex commands from my old Pronto. These, along with relearning some things with my Flirc, and I have it working to my satisfaction. I assigned two keys(red & green buttons) One to Alt-Tab to cycle between programs, and the other "\" to switch between windowed and full screen in Kodi.
post #368 of 377 Old 03-23-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoering View Post
Click on the Variable button in the Macro Window and select Add New

I know that but where do i place the second if/else statement

Martin
post #369 of 377 Old 03-24-2015, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyguay1 View Post
I know that but where do i place the second if/else statement

Martin
Once you create your new variable and assign it an initial value, in the macro window click on the IF button, it will add the If statement to your macro as:

IF (TRUE)
ELSE

Double click the IF (TRUE) part and select the Variable radio button, from there you can use your new variable in the condition.
post #370 of 377 Old 03-24-2015, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Has anyone else had any problems updating their CCP software? I keep getting the same "Fail to update patch file message" whenever I try.

Yes, this is legitimate software obtained from an authorized seller. I've tried running as Administrator. I've also tried various compatibility settings in Windows 8, and done a fresh install. Tried with both the remote hooked up to the computer, and unattached. Nothing seems to work, even though I've been able to update it in the past.

Unless I'm missing something, my next step is to go back to the dealer for help.

Scott

post #371 of 377 Old 03-30-2015, 03:52 PM

I recently decided to upgrade from an mx-780 to a mx-890. I have not received the remote yet, but decided to start migrating my setup in CCP to get use to programming the mx-890. I already seem to be stuck. I read the mx-890 manual and tried to follow the instructions on creating a device. I select the "Create and Name Devices" from the Program menu, but don't understand how to add devices. Also, no button icons show up in the large window like the manual shows. I can add devices by right clicking on main in the model selector, but can't assign them to buttons on the main pages. I really wan't to figure this out.

EDIT: I figured out the problem. I am running CCP on the Mac under Parallels. If you do not run as administrator, then there are no icons in the "Create and Name Devices". Makes it impossible to create the Main pages.

Last edited by octavian; 03-30-2015 at 05:48 PM.
post #372 of 377 Old 03-30-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octavian View Post
I recently decided to upgrade from an mx-780 to a mx-890. I have not received the remote yet, but decided to start migrating my setup in CCP to get use to programming the mx-890. I already seem to be stuck. I read the mx-890 manual and tried to follow the instructions on creating a device. I select the "Create and Name Devices" from the Program menu, but don't understand how to add devices. Also, no button icons show up in the large window like the manual shows. I can add devices by right clicking on main in the model selector, but can't assign them to buttons on the main pages. I really wan't to figure this out.

I guess I don't understand exactly what you are seeing - perhaps a screenshot would help. If you are seeing nothing at all in the right screen for any of the categories you may need to re-install CCP. Also make sure you are running CCP as administrator.

IIRC I also used select main and add new device (or hit insert) because I didn't particularly like any of the icons on the right side, then select the device and hit insert several times to add some pages. After that I would move on to the layouts task and pick the theme and button layout and hit overwrite pages to get the buttons on all the pages. They can be deleted or changed later if desired.

For an actual device such as an AVR, Blu-Ray player, TV, Projector, etc. I would next go to the data tab and select the IR data from category, the brand, then the model and hit "Save All" to prepopulate all the hard buttons. When you go in to edit the device you can assign additional functions or tasks to the various buttons on the pages you created.

Now go back and right click and rename your device to something that makes sense.

To get to your device go back to the main page 1 and add a button from the Image Gallery, go to the properties on the button and make it say what you want, then in the macro window add a jump to your device's page 1. Remember a "device" can be anything. It can be a room, activity, physical device, etc.

I would do all the punch through and RF stuff later.

I have attached a sample file using this process to add a Denon X3000 AVR, add a button to the main page that goes to it, populate the hard buttons with the IR data, and add a couple of soft buttons to select Blu-Ray and Cbl/Sat inputs - those soft buttons would eventually execute a macro to power on the Blu-ray or DTV receiver, select the input, then likely jump to "device" that represents those items (like OPPO and HR24 respectively).

I have also attached a sample file with my setup in case that might help. It is structured with a single main page for rooms (Home Theater, Upstairs [wife's space], Pool Area & Garage/workshop that has a couple of speakers). There is also links on the main page for a power "device" and a lights "device" because devices can be, well, anything. The various rooms go to activites pages for those rooms - note that garage and pool haven't been set up yet because its been too darn cold until recently for me to be doing any activities in the garage or at the pool

Note files are zipped because .ccp isn't a valid file type for this forum.

Good luck - hope this helps get you started.
Bill

EDIT: I should note I have found it handy to have an All Devices "device" with direct links to each device in my system...
EDIT2: I see you figured it out while I was writing my "book" on the process - glad you got it going and feel free to ignore my post but "running as admin" was early in my response
Attached Files
File Type: zip MX890_rev10.zip (34.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: zip Sample-MX890.zip (2.3 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by bgoering; 03-30-2015 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Add Info:Just saw you figured it out
post #373 of 377 Old 03-30-2015, 06:42 PM

Thanks bgoering! I ran it on a PC and it worked fine. So I tried it as administrator on the Mac and it worked. The graphics were probably installed with admin rights and CCP can't load them. No graphic icons, no devices. Never had this problem programming the mx-780.

Thanks for all the advice on programming. It will definitely be useful. I can hardly wait to get the remote and try it out. Very excited.

Also, do you know where Rehan got the button graphics for his example on the first page of this thread? I can not find them in CCP.

Last edited by octavian; 03-30-2015 at 06:46 PM.
post #374 of 377 Old 03-30-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octavian View Post
Thanks bgoering! I ran it on a PC and it worked fine. So I tried it as administrator on the Mac and it worked. The graphics were probably installed with admin rights and CCP can't load them. No graphic icons, no devices. Never had this problem programming the mx-780.

Thanks for all the advice on programming. It will definitely be useful. I can hardly wait to get the remote and try it out. Very excited.

Also, do you know where Rehan got the button graphics for his example on the first page of this thread? I can not find them in CCP.
No idea but he probably made them for himself. Are they in the dropbox download file he links in that post?

I ran across a document a while back that is a tutorial on how to create your own custom buttons but not being a graphic artist or having any experience in photo shop I haven't tried it myself.

Here is the link to the doc on the URC site: [DOC]here - Universal Remote Control
post #375 of 377 Old 04-05-2015, 10:11 AM

Location: Steps from the beach in Margaritaville (a state of mind between Inebriation and Sahuarita), AZ
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
There's always room for improvement...

I had a tiny epiphany the other day while making some changes to a customer's remote... I always set the red button to run the System Off macro - in every activity. Since there's no need for a System On macro (activity macros take care of that), I use the green button to jump to a System Menu. But when I'm doing a system where there's a single device that has no discrete power commands and no workarounds (perfect example: sound bars), then it's nice to assign the green button to toggle the power on that one device. That way, if the macro runs and the device didn't turn on or off as it should have, it's just a single, quick button press - regardless of which activity is selected - to remedy the problem.

Problem is, if I have to switch the green button from a system menu jump to a power toggle for a single device, I have to go into each activity and change the green button's function, and if there are lots of activities, that can be tedious.

Any developers out there will tell you - if you have to do something multiple times, you need to modularize it. This "object oriented" methodology can even be applied to something like programming a URC remote.

What I realized, while programming this customer's remote, is that I shouldn't have to make the same change, individually, across multiple activity "devices". Doing it that way is silly and inefficient. The solution? Create a device/activity called "Power", assign the red and green buttons as desired, then use the "Punch-Through" function to point every activity at the new "Power" device. Now, if I have to make a change, I only have to make it in one place! Much better!
post #376 of 377 Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bahama View Post
To all:

I have some documentation that I think would be even more helpful - an example CCP file (and the "planner" spreadsheet I do before actually making the CCP file), as well as (and especially) the custom "owners manual" that I give to my customers - but unfortunately the file upload size limits are pretty small, here so I put them <link removed> instead. Feel free to download them. The planner spreadsheet is an open document spreadsheet so you'll need Libre or Open Office (or maybe there's a converter for MS Office?) Also, the CCP file isn't likely to look quite right for you because you don't have all my custom graphics installed in your CCP. Have a look at the Custom Screens doc to see how it's supposed to look. (This should give you some ideas, too, about just how much you can customize the MX-780!)
New to AVSForum. Donny, thanks for the detailed write-ups. Been tinkering with my 2 MX-780s and 1 MX-890 for a bit - now trying to add custom graphics to MX-780. So far, I have been able to do what you mentioned earlier in earlier post (creating icons that are 1/6 of the screen image and then copying them into C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Remote Control, Inc\Complete Control Program\MX-780\Images\Alpha\Icons). However, it seems like I can only use the custom graphics on the Main/Main2 ACTIVITIES/DEVICES pages and not the pages within the devices or activities themselves. However, from looking at your sample FamilyRoom.ccp and screenshots on your website, it looks like you have been able to use your custom graphics for the sub pages on activities and devices (like on "Pandora" -> "Page 1").

Is it possible to use custom graphics for the buttons on subpages of the activity or device itself? If so how do you do that in CCP? I'm using latest Residential CCP 3.4.0224.3. I also have access to the Commercial CCP install (not sure what the difference is between the 2 software versions). Do you import them as a new custom theme? (instead of the default Alpha/Blue/Green/Red/Yellow themes)

Also, It seems like on the MX-780 on Main2, the background is always "red" theme and button pages are always "yellow" theme. Is there a way to change that? I have been putting DEVICES as Main2, but I like giving jump to DEVICES pages so I can still have access to all discrete buttons if needed or if I haven't gotten around to making a macro yet on ACTIVITIES.
post #377 of 377 Old Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Location: Steps from the beach in Margaritaville (a state of mind between Inebriation and Sahuarita), AZ
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdyster View Post
New to AVSForum. Donny, thanks for the detailed write-ups.
Welcome to AVS! And you're very welcome. I'm glad you found it helpful.
Quote:
it seems like I can only use the custom graphics on the Main/Main2 ACTIVITIES/DEVICES pages and not the pages within the devices or activities themselves. However, from looking at your sample FamilyRoom.ccp and screenshots on your website, it looks like you have been able to use your custom graphics for the sub pages on activities and devices (like on "Pandora" -> "Page 1"). Is it possible to use custom graphics for the buttons on subpages of the activity or device itself? If so how do you do that in CCP?
It's very possible. Here's how:
  1. Add the images to a page in either Main 1 or Main 2
  2. Save and close the Add Devices dialog
  3. Right click the page where you added the background images and select "Delete Contents" - this clears out the text labels as well as the jumps to the six new devices that were created, leaving you with just the page and the six button images - exactly what you want and none of the stuff you don't want.
  4. Delete those six new devices. When it asks if you want to delete the buttons, be sure to say NO - otherwise you'll have to do it all again.
  5. Right click that page again and choose Cut.
  6. Right-click the activity or device where you want to use that background image and choose Paste
  7. If the activity/device needs multiple pages, repeat the previous step as necessary.
Quote:
Also, It seems like on the MX-780 on Main2, the background is always "red" theme and button pages are always "yellow" theme. Is there a way to change that?
You could, using the steps above, create a solid-colored six-part background and use that. Or, if you just type a label for any button, you'll get a black background. For blank buttons, just type a space. I use cool, relevant, custom six-part background images for activities, but I use the plain black background buttons for devices. The stark difference serves as a visual indication of whether you are (the user is) in activity mode or background mode.
Quote:
I have been putting DEVICES as Main2, but I like giving jump to DEVICES pages so I can still have access to all discrete buttons if needed or if I haven't gotten around to making a macro yet on ACTIVITIES.
Yep. Same here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Mx 780 Universal Remote Control , Mx 890

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page