Official URC Remote Thread for MX-780, MX-890, and MX-1200 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 60Likes

post #31 of 671 Old 08-20-2013, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You don't know how to install software and you are going to try and program your remote?rolleyes.gif Good luck with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 671 Old 08-20-2013, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I wanted this thread to focus more on URC's remotes rather than their business policies but apparently the two are invariably linked together to some degree. I hope this thread will serve as a useful tool for anyone who is considering purchasing a URC remote that requires professional programming.

If you're a DIY enthusiast (like most of us AVS members are) the best advice is to make sure that your dealer agrees to provide you with the URC CCP software package before you agree to the sale. If the dealer refuses, just find one that agrees. This is really the only legal way we can work within URC's system and bring about any change in terms of policy. Dealers will eventually have to choose between providing the software or walking away from the customer.
post #33 of 671 Old 08-20-2013, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by adk highlander View Post

You don't know how to install software and you are going to try and program your remote?rolleyes.gif Good luck with that.

I Googled URC Software
Found a site that required me to install a downloader called bot torrent or something. I installed it and got the programming app.

I cant list the domain. Sorry.

post #34 of 671 Old 08-21-2013, 03:33 AM

And you should not list the domain because it is an illegal download site and has nothing to do with URC.
post #35 of 671 Old 08-21-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adk highlander View Post

The URC policy is that the dealer can supply the software to the end user but URC will not supply it themselves. It keeps the dealers at some level in control of distribution and helps protect their business. I would not purchase a URC remote from any dealer that would not supply the software. Don't expect a dealer to give you the software though after you have went to ebay and bought one for 150 bucks under msrp. I have a very good relationship with my dealer and I get a reasonable discount for my years of staying with him and I get the software and do all my own programming.

Thanks for this post. I am more than happy to buy from a dealer who provides the software as long as their markup isn't obscene.

One dealer told me that URC sells their MX-890 remote to its dealers for around $275. Dealers then turn around and sell that for $500 plus charge hourly rates upwards of $100 to program the thing. I understand dealers have overhead, but a $275 to $500 markup is ridiculous. Why shouldn't people just go buy from eBay or Amazon then? All you lose from buying from Amazon is URC's 1 year manufacturer warranty. That warranty only covers defects in the manufacturing and nothing else. You can go to SquareTrade instead and buy a 3 year warranty which covers spills, drops, and accidents for about $50. If anything goes bad, they'll cut you a check in 5 days or less while URC will tell you that they'd be happy to offer you a small discount on your next purchase (through a dealer).
rickbrad and miubhi like this.
post #36 of 671 Old 08-22-2013, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post

There is a clone of the mx-780 sold through some retail stores, its the x-7.
If purchased from a retailer, does the X-7 come with the CCP software, or is it also at the discretion of the retailer?

I've been very happy with my two MX-700 remotes, but mine is going a bit flaky (the wife's is still fine). I'm thinking about switching to the MX-780 or X-7, but I want to do my own programming.

post #37 of 671 Old 08-22-2013, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post

If purchased from a retailer, does the X-7 come with the CCP software, or is it also at the discretion of the retailer?

I've been very happy with my two MX-700 remotes, but mine is going a bit flaky (the wife's is still fine). I'm thinking about switching to the MX-780 or X-7, but I want to do my own programming.

Hi srw1000.

I don't believe the software is included with the X-7. Have you tried asking dealers in your area if they will include the software with the purchase? If you can't find anyone locally, Surf Remote Control will sell you the MX-780 and their policy is to always include the software.
post #38 of 671 Old 08-22-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehan View Post

Quote:

Hi srw1000.

I don't believe the software is included with the X-7. Have you tried asking dealers in your area if they will include the software with the purchase? If you can't find anyone locally, Surf Remote Control will sell you the MX-780 and their policy is to always include the software.
I didn't think that they would include it with the X-7, but was curious.

I haven't checked with any local dealers, and haven't done that much research. Thanks for the tip on Sure Remote Control, they have a good reputation. I wish that they would post the price for the MX-780 on their website, though.

post #39 of 671 Old 08-22-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 31
post #40 of 671 Old 08-22-2013, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I didn't think that they would include it with the X-7, but was curious.

I haven't checked with any local dealers, and haven't done that much research. Thanks for the tip on Sure Remote Control, they have a good reputation. I wish that they would post the price for the MX-780 on their website, though.

They aren't allowed to post prices online due to URC's rules...not something that they have much control over unfortunately. However I've found them to be very competitively priced versus other URC dealers. I did inquire about an MX-890 from them a few months ago and they were priced about $125 lower than MSRP. I'm sure their MX-780 price will also be comparatively discounted.
post #41 of 671 Old 08-23-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:

This is off of a x-7 box:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/tivoburkee/612BySXdAKeL_zps0c83d342.jpg

Professional programming can be highly overrated. Just because they have that sticker on the box doesn't mean a regular person can't program it themselves. It is almost comical that it's even called programming. If using drag and drop software is called programming, then I was programming in Microsoft Paint 20 years ago when I was a kid. I would bet that even a lot of dealers know that a normal tech person could "program" these things and that's why there's so much resistance in sharing the software. The entire "we are doing it to provide our clients with the best customer experience" stuff is just spin.
Quote:

They aren't allowed to post prices online due to URC's rules...not something that they have much control over unfortunately. However I've found them to be very competitively priced versus other URC dealers. I did inquire about an MX-890 from them a few months ago and they were priced about $125 lower than MSRP. I'm sure their MX-780 price will also be comparatively discounted.

Ok see $375 for a MX-890 is much more reasonable and the fact that they are completely upfront about providing you with the software makes Surf Remote a no-brainer for the next time I will be purchasing a URC remote. Wish I had known about them before I purchased my current setup.
post #42 of 671 Old 08-23-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFanta View Post

Professional programming can be highly overrated. Just because they have that sticker on the box doesn't mean a regular person can't program it themselves. It is almost comical that it's even called programming. If using drag and drop software is called programming, then I was programming in Microsoft Paint 20 years ago when I was a kid. I would bet that even a lot of dealers know that a normal tech person could "program" these things and that's why there's so much resistance in sharing the software. The entire "we are doing it to provide our clients with the best customer experience" stuff is just spin.
Ok see $375 for a MX-890 is much more reasonable and the fact that they are completely upfront about providing you with the software makes Surf Remote a no-brainer for the next time I will be purchasing a URC remote. Wish I had known about them before I purchased my current setup.

That wasn't the reason I posted the picture, srw1000 was asking if the x-7 came with software, it plainly says it doesn't.

I didn't get my first computer until 2005, before that it was webtv only. And I programmed a mx-780.
Rehan likes this.
post #43 of 671 Old 08-28-2013, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I just checked with my dealer about the software. I was told that they received a letter in June to cease and desist allowing customers software. So no more software from them. Said it was because too many resellers going around dealers(ebay, amazon etc.)
post #44 of 671 Old 08-28-2013, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Did the dealer say this would only apply to him or was it a new policy affecting all URC dealers? And are you sure it was the Complete Control software and not the Total Control software used for their Total Control product line?

Really hope this is just a mixup...
post #45 of 671 Old 08-28-2013, 09:59 AM

Hmm, I really think this only applies to Total Control and not CCP. I spoke with my dealer and he received no such letter concerning CCP. Many dealers will just feed that as a line to try and get you to work with them. Call surfremote to order one and I bet you will get the software.
Rehan likes this.
post #46 of 671 Old 08-28-2013, 11:22 AM

My local dealer just said that they would not supply software and didn't specify which kind.

Thanks for the surfremote suggestion. I called and they were very helpful. I think the 890 would work well for me but I would like to have it programmed first and also have the software provided. They will provide the software but will only program locally.
Maybe I can find someone else nearby that will provide both programming and software.
post #47 of 671 Old 08-28-2013, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRGM1 View Post

My local dealer just said that they would not supply software and didn't specify which kind.

Thanks for the surfremote suggestion. I called and they were very helpful. I think the 890 would work well for me but I would like to have it programmed first and also have the software provided. They will provide the software but will only program locally.
Maybe I can find someone else nearby that will provide both programming and software.

If you're looking at URC's site for authorized dealers in your area you should know that the dealers listed on that site are most likely not the only people in your area that are selling URC products. If you just google other home theater installers in your area, there are probably many others who are able to provide you with URC products/software but just aren't buying directly from URC and therefore not listed on the website.

EDIT: Also not sure how DIY you are but programming an MX-890 is actually pretty easy. It does take a little time to just get familiar with how the software works but it actually isn't "programming" in the true sense of the word. It is more like configuring the device with a pretty easy to use drag-and-drop program.
post #48 of 671 Old 08-28-2013, 05:34 PM

I ordered the 890 and should have it Friday. Hopefully it won't be too difficult for me to program. Thanks for the help.
post #49 of 671 Old 08-29-2013, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRGM1 View Post

I ordered the 890 and should have it Friday. Hopefully it won't be too difficult for me to program. Thanks for the help.

Welcome to the club. smile.gif Come back with any questions that you have. Also if you haven't already check out the sample file in the first post if you want to get an idea of setting up an MX-890.
post #50 of 671 Old 08-30-2013, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a quick question. I own the URC MX-700 for nearly 10 years and its beginning to fail. I'm looking to purchase the MX-890.

Can MX-890 owners let me know if the CCP software works on both Windows PC and Mac OS X platforms?

Thanks!

Sony XBR65X930D, Marantz AV8802A, Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3, OPPO BDP-103, Apple TV 4K, Sony C333ES CD Changer, Thorens TD-190, FIOS Advance DVR Service
post #51 of 671 Old 08-30-2013, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC56 View Post

I have a quick question. I own the URC MX-700 for nearly 10 years and its beginning to fail. I'm looking to purchase the MX-890.

Can MX-890 owners let me know if the CCP software works on both Windows PC and Mac OS X platforms?

Thanks!

AFAIK CCP software only works on Windows but you can run it on a Mac if you use Parellels or Boot Camp (to run Windows) or if you use CrossOver (which doesn't require installing Windows).

Not sure how the performance would be using CrossOver but may be worth trying if you don't want to install a Windows VM on your Mac.
post #52 of 671 Old 08-30-2013, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

AFAIK CCP software only works on Windows but you can run it on a Mac if you use Parellels or Boot Camp (to run Windows) or if you use CrossOver (which doesn't require installing Windows).

Not sure how the performance would be using CrossOver but may be worth trying if you don't want to install a Windows VM on your Mac.

Rehan -- thanks! I have both platforms (Windows 7 Desktop & MacBook Air). It's easier to program on a Laptop that is close to my HT for testing. The CCP I have for the MX-700 is very very old. I use the learning and macro modes the most.

Have a good weekend.

Sony XBR65X930D, Marantz AV8802A, Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3, OPPO BDP-103, Apple TV 4K, Sony C333ES CD Changer, Thorens TD-190, FIOS Advance DVR Service
post #53 of 671 Old 08-30-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC56 View Post

Rehan -- thanks! I have both platforms (Windows 7 Desktop & MacBook Air). It's easier to program on a Laptop that is close to my HT for testing. The CCP I have for the MX-700 is very very old. I use the learning and macro modes the most.

Have a good weekend.

The software used for the mx-700 is not the CCP, its called mx-editor and will not work on current line of URC PC programmable remotes like listed in the title of this thread. sorry.
post #54 of 671 Old 08-30-2013, 07:07 PM

Liked: 11
Total Control is light years ahead of CCP. If anyone manages to get their hands on the Kit, its fairly simple. Drivers a very important. If anyone is thinking about getting a TC system, get an iPad mini instead of the remotes ( with the iOS license of course).

I am an installer familiar with both systems as well as other professional control systems. I came from a "DIY" background myself, I do not endorse programming with out being trained, but if you have a question I could answer it!

I have an MRX-10/MRX12080/iPad myself with some lighting integration.

Cheers!
TheAstronaut likes this.
post #55 of 671 Old 08-30-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:

The software used for the mx-700 is not the CCP, its called mx-editor and will not work on current line of URC PC programmable remotes like listed in the title of this thread. sorry.

Beware, if you do not have a 32-bit system you will have a ROUGH time working with pre-CCP remotes.
post #56 of 671 Old 08-30-2013, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnkpr View Post

Beware, if you do not have a 32-bit system you will have a ROUGH time working with pre-CCP remotes.

I have never had any trouble with my two 64 bit W7 computers programming a mx-700, 800, or mx-850 remotes with mx-editor.
post #57 of 671 Old 08-31-2013, 06:11 AM

I'm just trying to learn how to program the MX890. I have a Sony projector and don't find any info in the database. Do I just need to manually learn all the projector commands I need?
post #58 of 671 Old 08-31-2013, 07:06 AM

Use Sony's remote to learn the codes manually. Try some of Sony's other projectors, they might work.
post #59 of 671 Old 08-31-2013, 07:36 AM

There are no Sony Projectors. Is there a way I can set this up and create my own functions for the pages under projector?
post #60 of 671 Old 08-31-2013, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Look for Sony projectors underneath the TV category rather than Projector category.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Mx 780 Universal Remote Control , Mx 890 , mx-900

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page