Official URC Remote Thread for MX-780, MX-890, and MX-1200 - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 60Likes

post #661 of 671 Old 06-19-2017, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejl View Post
Mine's pretty much the same. I can barely tell whether or not they are lit up in a bright room. Although I can see them fine in the dark. I figured this is as they are designed because I can see the button labels easy enough when the lights are on.

Mike
Well, that's extremely disappointing to hear... The only reason I chose this over the MX-780 was the rechargeable battery (and the slightly bigger screen was a small plus) but I may consider switching it out if this is the case.

Seems like a pretty big oversight on URC's part, especially with blatantly incorrect information listed in the owners manual. It's like they knew that logically it should be adjustable, but they screwed up in the internal menu and didn't enable it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 671 Old 06-20-2017, 07:06 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanquiuxo View Post
....Can anyone who owns this remote confirm the button light is adjustable (and how bright theirs can get)? Should I expect extremely dim buttons? I saw a demo of a URC MX-780 and the buttons appeared to be way brighter in a bright store environment.
I have both, and the MX-780 buttons are indeed brighter than on the MX-890. I figure that's due to the fact that the rechargeable battery on the MX-890 is only 3.7 volts, while the AA battery group in the MX-780 is over 6 volts.

Here's something weird, one of my 3 MX-890s has noticeably brighter button lighting than the other two. Maybe your dealer will let you check the button lighting on several and let you pick the brightest one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanquiuxo View Post
Well, that's extremely disappointing to hear... The only reason I chose this over the MX-780 was the rechargeable battery (and the slightly bigger screen was a small plus) but I may consider switching it out if this is the case.
I started with an MX-780, but later upgraded to the MX-890 and i like it a lot more and there's no way i'd go back to the MX-780 as my primary remote. The only time i use my MX-780 is when the battery dies on my MX-890 while watching Tivo and i have to place it on the charging cradle and use the MX-780 while MX-890 is charging.

Another big reason i gave up on the MX-780 is that the OLED screen became very dim within a few years of daily use to the point that it was literally unusable. URC finally acknowledged the problem and started using an LCD screen on the MX-780 so if you do downgrade to an MX-780, make double damn sure that it's the newer version with the LCD screen (which doesn't grow dim over time).

Luckily for me i use these remotes strictly by memory and feel and rarely ever look at the buttons or the screen, but the wife needs to look at the buttons and some activity icons i've placed on the screen.

Quote:
Seems like a pretty big oversight on URC's part, especially with blatantly incorrect information listed in the owners manual. It's like they knew that logically it should be adjustable, but they screwed up in the internal menu and didn't enable it.
It's a simple one-word misprint in the manual - as evidenced by the adjustment being in seconds instead of brightness. Instead of "brightness" is should say "duration".

The button lighting brightness is definitely not adjustable on the MX-890 nor on the MX-780. Only screen brightness is adjustable.
yanquiuxo likes this.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-780, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #663 of 671 Old 06-20-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
I have both, and the MX-780 buttons are indeed brighter than on the MX-890. I figure that's due to the fact that the rechargeable battery on the MX-890 is only 3.7 volts, while the AA battery group in the MX-780 is over 6 volts.

Here's something weird, one of my 3 MX-890s has noticeably brighter button lighting than the other two. Maybe your dealer will let you check the button lighting on several and let you pick the brightest one.

I started with an MX-780, but later upgraded to the MX-890 and i like it a lot more and there's no way i'd go back to the MX-780 as my primary remote. The only time i use my MX-780 is when the battery dies on my MX-890 while watching Tivo and i have to place it on the charging cradle and use the MX-780 while MX-890 is charging.

Another big reason i gave up on the MX-780 is that the OLED screen became very dim within a few years of daily use to the point that it was literally unusable. URC finally acknowledged the problem and started using an LCD screen on the MX-780 so if you do downgrade to an MX-780, make double damn sure that it's the newer version with the LCD screen (which doesn't grow dim over time).

Luckily for me i use these remotes strictly by memory and feel and rarely ever look at the buttons or the screen, but the wife needs to look at the buttons and some activity icons i've placed on the screen.

It's a simple one-word misprint in the manual - as evidenced by the adjustment being in seconds instead of brightness. Instead of "brightness" is should say "duration".

The button lighting brightness is definitely not adjustable on the MX-890 nor on the MX-780. Only screen brightness is adjustable.
Thank you for all of the info! As for the battery life, I've had the remote off the cradle with heavy use for 3 days now, and still have 65% battery remaining. If I had a choice in the matter I would have easily sacrificed some of the longevity of the battery for brighter buttons

I actually work for the store where I bought the 890. I tested two other 890s that we have in stock this morning and they both have the same button brightness level which I assume is just normal at this point. I also compared side-by-side with the 780, and while it is noticeably brighter, it's not as substantial as I remembered it to be. And now that I'm used to the 890's screen size, I definitely don't want to downgrade to the 780 for only slightly brighter buttons.

I guess being a recent convert from Harmony remotes, I always assumed the URC's button backlight would have been on par with its inferior counterpart. I'm sure I'll suck it up and get used to it eventually (unless the wife starts complaining about it )

Good for you on having the brighter 890, hold on to that for as long as you can!

post #664 of 671 Old 06-22-2017, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need helping programming MX-780

Hello,
I had an installer hook up an MX-780 two years ago and it's worked flawlessly. However, a couple months ago my rechargeable Eneloop batteries in the remote ran dead and I didn't replace them for a few days. When I got around to it, the remote no longer controlled any of my devices. The on-screen icons are still there. When I hold the remote directly in front of the MRF-260, none of the machines will even power on with the MX-780. I have another MRF-260 from another room and I hooked that up to the same machines but the MX-780 still does not work.

I wonder if letting the batteries sit empty for a few days did something to the remote. I am hoping I can do a bit of trouble-shooting on my own. I downloaded the CCP program and hooked up the MX-780 with a spare mini USB to USB cable I had laying around but the program doesn't appear to recognize that the remote is connected. I open Windows Explorer and don't see it there either. I don't know if a special cable is required or not. I googled it and there is a company called MPF selling cables specifically for the MX remotes for less than $10 but I don't know if I need to buy one of those.

I called URC to ask their opinion and they said if the programmed icons are still displayed on the screen then the CCP program should still be active on the remote so I can rule out file corruption. They said it could be RF interference and I would need to hire a URC Installer to come over and trouble-shoot. They said they don't recommend rechargeable batteries due to the power requirements of the remote. They said I could use any old mini USB cable so I'm not sure why I can't get CCP to recognize the remote when it's plugged in. Maybe it's an issue with Windows 10. I can try on my Windows 8.1 computer later.

When I push a button on the remote, the red RF signal (looks like the WiFi signal on my phone) appears on the top of the screen so it looks to be sending signals. I turned off the WiFi in my house to see if that was causing interference since I believe I hooked up a new router and modem around the time the remote stopped working. However, it also appears that the IR commands are not being received either since I tried the remote pointed directly in front of the machines and MRF-260 and it still doesn't work to control and of the machines.

I will pick up some regular alkaline batteries today and see if that does the trick. I will also use a camera to check that IR is still being emitted from the remote.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
post #665 of 671 Old 06-22-2017, 07:31 PM

Well it turns out the MX 780 stopped transmitting IR/RF signals according to the camera test and also setting the Mrf260 to 0 bandwidth and the status light failing to illuminate when I press buttons on remote. The status light did illuminate when I used a different URC RF remote. I guess I'll be looking for a new set up. The serial number indicates it was made about 5 years ago. I don't remember having it so long... Time flies or maybe the installer had an old remote available
post #666 of 671 Old 06-23-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraG View Post
Well it turns out the MX 780 stopped transmitting IR/RF signals according to the camera test and also setting the Mrf260 to 0 bandwidth and the status light failing to illuminate when I press buttons on remote. The status light did illuminate when I used a different URC RF remote. I guess I'll be looking for a new set up. The serial number indicates it was made about 5 years ago. I don't remember having it so long... Time flies or maybe the installer had an old remote available
The remote usually won't show up in windows explorer or even have an indication that it's connected within the CCP software until you go to download a file to the remote or test commands. If you are familiar with the CCP software I would recommend to test a couple basic IR commands to your TV to see if the USB connection is functioning.

Sometimes the remote can stop communicating with the RF base station. You may need to change the bandwidth on both and see if you can get them to talk to each other again. Also, if the remote was programmed specifically to only send out RF commands (which it most likely was since you are using an MRF-260) then it would make sense that it wouldn't be sending IR commands when you do the camera test. An installer will usually not program a remote to send out RF & IR signals from the same remote to the same devices, so holding it in front of the devices and trying to test IR commands without knowing what the remote was actually programmed to do is a bad way to test if it's working.

If you are unfamiliar with the URC software it would probably be better to hire a custom installer to fix the problem for you, or for the same price they can usually program a new remote for you (For instance, Magnolia in Best Buy will charge $200 to either fix your remote or program a new one).

Last edited by yanquiuxo; 06-23-2017 at 10:10 AM.
post #667 of 671 Old 06-23-2017, 10:21 AM

Yanquluxo,
Thanks for your reply. You may be correct in assuming the remote was programmed not to remote IR from the beginning. However, since I also did the RF test by setting the MRF 260 to 0 and the status light did not illuminate when I pressed buttons on MX780, I think I can safely assume the the remote is no longer emitting RF signals.

The screen is very dim as well. I will ask about getting a replacement remote through URC since they said the screen is a known issue that affects the batch number of my remote.
post #668 of 671 Old 06-26-2017, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 351
I went back to the mx-880 from the mx-890. For whatever reason, just couldnt get the 890 to be as snappy and bulletproof as the 880

Selling in AVS Classifieds
Salk Songtower RT (RAAL)
URC MX-880 Remotes

post #669 of 671 Old 09-13-2017, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How do you open the MX-890?
post #670 of 671 Old 09-14-2017, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevebez View Post
How do you open the MX-890?
Use the same twist method as you used with your MX-850. The MX-780 and MX-890 actually come apart a little easier.

Once you get some separation, slide something thin and stiff enough along the seam. It should start popping free pretty easily. I use a plastic razor to slip in and hold the gap while I use a second one to pry down the side. The plastic case can get pry marks if your not careful.

You'll find the tabs don't break very easily like they did with the MX-850.

Mike
post #671 of 671 Old 09-20-2017, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
URC CCP/CC Control MRX-iOS App Setup Code

Hello all,

Long time lurker here who has learned a lot from this site, but I finally have a question that I haven't been able to find the answer to anywhere else... I had a URC system set up for me with CCP (MX-890 remote, MRX-1 base station for RF and Ethernet, and an iOS CC Control app). Because I am tech savvy, the dealer left me with CCP and the programming file so that I could make changes as they came up rather than have him come back again (I know, I know... dealer only system. I'm sorry ).

Anyway, per my dealer's recommendation, I factory reset the MRX-1 to fix an issue, and inadvertently wiped the MRX-iOS Setup Code from the base station (which is like the product license)... Now when I try to use the CC Control app, it says "Invalid Setup Code" and I'm unable to use the app with my old setup. I then called URC because the Setup Code should be tied to the MAC address of the base station, but they were unable to find it...

My old dealer has left the business for personal reasons, and therefore no longer has access to a new Setup Code, and obviously didn't save a copy of my old one. No current dealers are willing to help me out unless I pay $350 for a code from URC, and $250 for programming... when literally all I need is a string of numbers and a dealer login to get my system BACK TO WHAT IT WAS!

Does anyone here happen to have a Setup Code handy that I could use and a URC Dealer Login? I understand the sensitivity of this closed system and that it is an awkward situation to put you in, so I will of course treat this matter carefully. Any help or ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Mx 780 Universal Remote Control , Mx 890 , mx-900

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page