Official URC Remote Thread for MX-780, MX-890, and MX-1200 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #91 of 245 Old 12-12-2013, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I figured that might be the case, which is why the ProControl I had purchased was about the worst idea ever for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 245 Old 12-12-2013, 08:37 AM

Liked: 13
Do you guys have a particular order of operations you follow when programming from scratch? I feel like I waste a lot of time jumping around to different screens.
post #93 of 245 Old 12-12-2013, 08:46 AM

Im actually using an existing CCP Example from the main page here and using that as a guide to make mine from scratch.

I have two main pages, One is activities and the other is a hidden page with buttons for 'delay' and variables I want to be able to modify in one place. I will be adding device buttons to another page too. Aside from that, I set up all my favorites and wait pages as devices. Not sure how this will work as I havnt tested anything yet.

In CCP, on the opposite side of the batter icon, i see what appears to be a red 'network' icon. But it doesnt show up on the remote. What is this icon supposed to represent or be used for?
post #94 of 245 Old 12-12-2013, 08:57 AM

Liked: 13
Cool, I currently own an MX-890 and just received my MX-1200 last night. My dealer is a good friend of mine and got me started on the 890 but I will be doing the 1200 from scratch. Looking forward to getting started but a little worried about where to start...
post #95 of 245 Old 12-12-2013, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazosdog02 View Post

In CCP, on the opposite side of the batter icon, i see what appears to be a red 'network' icon. But it doesnt show up on the remote. What is this icon supposed to represent or be used for?
Probably the signal indicator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoknlt4 View Post

Cool, I currently own an MX-890 and just received my MX-1200 last night. My dealer is a good friend of mine and got me started on the 890 but I will be doing the 1200 from scratch. Looking forward to getting started but a little worried about where to start...
The 1200 is a little more intimidating because you have so much flexibility to do things. If you create the devices by using the "Create and Name Devices" interface you can basically create each device and then walk through populating it and attaching a code set using a wizard like interface. Just remember that clicking next doesn't really do anything and that you need to click "Add Pages" on the layouts page and "Save All" on the Data page.

My typical workflow is something like this with a little tweaking depending on what I am trying to do.
  • Add remote and RF base station
  • Add individual devices and populate with IR data
  • Customize devices the way I want them
  • Assign RF(If applicable)
  • Test all devices
  • Setup favorite channels
  • Set punch throughs
  • Setup macros and automation
  • Final testing
post #96 of 245 Old 12-12-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have multiple Sat receivers using different addresses and multiple Panasonic disc players using different addresses. These alternate addresses are not in the CCP database, so I have to teach. And so I use the default codeset as a template, is there a way to erase ALL preset commands at once for given device, or do I have to erase each command one at a time? Same for taught commands, can they be erase by device or one at a time? This on mx-780/x-7.
post #97 of 245 Old 12-12-2013, 05:25 PM

Signal indicator for what?
post #98 of 245 Old 12-12-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:

Signal indicator for what?

It lights up when you press a button and the remote is transmitting a signal.
post #99 of 245 Old 12-12-2013, 05:36 PM

Ohhhhh....ok. I haven't tested my remote thoroughly yet obviously. Thanks!
post #100 of 245 Old 12-12-2013, 06:09 PM

Im trying to program my MX780 now, and its not letting me change the button icons. When I go to 'image gallery' to pick icons, It just says 'Blank Buttons' and I cannot navigate....what the hell? This just happened recently, i had no trouble working with this a couple of days ago.

EDIT: Nevermind. Got it. I have to put icons in as devices instead and copy. Forgot this was a lot different than the MX890 programming.
post #101 of 245 Old 12-13-2013, 09:02 PM

I can't get my favorite buttons to work on my remote. I have macro with a delay between each number push, but when I use the favorite button on the MX780, it does nothing.

What did I do wrong? Its basically:

delay
delay
delay
post #102 of 245 Old 12-13-2013, 09:34 PM

Are you sure the macro is pointing to the correct device?

Is this RF or straight IR?
post #103 of 245 Old 12-14-2013, 07:54 AM

Its straight IR. The codes look right. When I push a number manually from the remote on the page that the numbers are aliased from, it types the number on the screen. But for some reason its not working with the sequence from the favorite channel button.

Wierd.

May be time to bust out the laptop and sit in front of the TV with the remote plugged in.
post #104 of 245 Old 12-14-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:

Its straight IR. The codes look right. When I push a number manually from the remote on the page that the numbers are aliased from, it types the number on the screen. But for some reason its not working with the sequence from the favorite channel button.

If you want to send me your ccp file I will take a look at it and see if I see anything strange.
post #105 of 245 Old 12-15-2013, 08:28 AM

Ran into another problem. So when you put a disc in the BD, it turns on and turns on the tv and maybe the avr. It does not switch avr input though. Anyway, sometimes, the disc is already in it. How do I adress these two states? If I use discrete codes for power on, then it shouldnt matter right?
post #106 of 245 Old 12-15-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:

Ran into another problem. So when you put a disc in the BD, it turns on and turns on the tv and maybe the avr. It does not switch avr input though. Anyway, sometimes, the disc is already in it. How do I adress these two states? If I use discrete codes for power on, then it shouldnt matter right?

You should turn off CEC when using a remote like yours. It really doesn't add much value in the situation where you have a solid control solution. But yes, if discrete codes are available than using them should not hurt anything. That being said, the BD doesn't matter much but you want to control when your devices with inputs turn on. This is because there is a delay from the time you turn them on until they are ready to receive commands from the remote. You need to manage those delays in order to ensure that your input switches are received. That is why I always turn CEC off.
post #107 of 245 Old 12-15-2013, 09:04 AM

OK. Im having another serious issue with this thing using discrete codes

When I use them from the IR menu, sometimes they work and sometimes they dont. However, its like they always require a push that is longer than a quick push to activate them. What is the problem? I cannot learn discrete codes and I need them to work.

These were working without issue not too long ago. Im really lost here. What is up? If I go to the button I have set up nothing happens when you just push the button. If you push it for a second or so, it works. Thats not gonna cut it.

EDIT: Looks like its related to 'Repeat'. The button is set to minimum number repeats = 1. I dont recalle changing this. Is there a global setting that I can change all of these back to '3'?
post #108 of 245 Old 12-17-2013, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Hey guys I have several MX 850 and MX 950 remotes that I had bought to try and automate a theater years ago but they wouldn't and couldn't be programmed to fire up the projector so they were sort of put on the back burner and forgotten about. I'm guessing this was around 2005 when I joined this site. They are still in brand new condition for they have never been used but the software was on PC which I moved away from years ago. I remember them being super easy to program and I had them working on everything but the projector throughout a 9K square foot home. Problem is it seems they no longer let you program these things, I remember the one being like $400-$500 and I think the other was like $300. The MX 950 is really nice looking and heavy, no plasticky feel and I has going to sell or possibly give it to a friend building a theater but I'm not sure they will be able to program it. Did Universal Remote take my money and now I have a paper weight? I would even use the MX 950 if I didn't have an iPhone running everything but my friend wants a remote for the wife

The remote has a much better feel than the new Harmonys we looked at had and he's still PC and android so this would be perfect for him
IMG_0708_zps59b90d78.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #109 of 245 Old 12-17-2013, 06:36 AM

The software for the mx-850's is readily available but the mx-950 software is not.

You would need a usb to serial adapter to program the mx-850 on a modern PC.
post #110 of 245 Old 12-17-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post

The software for the mx-850's is readily available but the mx-950 software is not.

You would need a usb to serial adapter to program the mx-850 on a modern PC.
So where can you find the MX 950 software, thats the nice remote

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #111 of 245 Old 12-17-2013, 08:49 AM

How do you guys 'organize' your remotes? Im programming mine and I think I found a way that works, but its honestly a little complicated if a single device doesnt turn on for some reason. Otherwise, its fine. What do you pro installers do with pages and organization of devices and buttons?
post #112 of 245 Old 12-17-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark P View Post

So where can you find the MX 950 software, thats the nice remote
You would need either the "MX-950 Editor Software" or the "Complete Control Suite". Neither of these are readily available for download. Also, IIRC programming the mx-950 on a modern OS requires some hoop jumping.
Quote:

How do you guys 'organize' your remotes? Im programming mine and I think I found a way that works, but its honestly a little complicated if a single device doesnt turn on for some reason. Otherwise, its fine. What do you pro installers do with pages and organization of devices and buttons?
I basically have a choice for what you want to do from the main screen. When you select that it runs a macro that drops you into device with all the controls needed for that activity. If something doesn't come on, go back to the main screen and re-select the activity.

I would just add that something not coming on should be a rare occurrence. If it is happening regularly should try to modify your setup if possible.
post #113 of 245 Old 12-17-2013, 10:55 AM

My wife had a problem with is last night because she pushes the activity button and as soon as the TV comes on, she basically abandons ship and points the remote elsewhere....so its still going through the power on process when she points it away from the device. Mine won't turn everything back on if I do the activitiy again because I have a variable set to not allow it to go through the power on process if its already been pressed once. Instead, there are independant device power buttons on a second page of the device associated with the activity so any device can be powered on.

Perhaps I should remove that if/then and variable from the activity flow instead?
post #114 of 245 Old 12-17-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:

My wife had a problem with is last night because she pushes the activity button and as soon as the TV comes on, she basically abandons ship and points the remote elsewhere....so its still going through the power on process when she points it away from the device. Mine won't turn everything back on if I do the activitiy again because I have a variable set to not allow it to go through the power on process if its already been pressed once. Instead, there are independant device power buttons on a second page of the device associated with the activity so any device can be powered on.

Perhaps I should remove that if/then and variable from the activity flow instead?

You need an RF extender.

post #115 of 245 Old 12-17-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:

For remotes for other people I generally just have it send the whole macro everytime.

For remotes for myself or my family I usually just use the variable to insert a delay. In other words it sends the power commands everytime but if the variables believe it is off then it puts a delay between the power on macro and the input switching macro. If it is already on it still sends the power but not the delay.

In practice this means that if it gets out of syn simply selecting the activity again will resolve the issue but if you ARE in sync and you are just switching activities you don't have to wait for the delay.
post #116 of 245 Old 12-17-2013, 01:07 PM

Ah..thats a nice way to do it.

About the RF extender....would the MRF260 do the trick? Is it easy to 'add' to my existing programmed remote that is set up without it?
post #117 of 245 Old 12-17-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:

Ah..thats a nice way to do it.

About the RF extender....would the MRF260 do the trick? Is it easy to 'add' to my existing programmed remote that is set up without it?

It is painfully easy to add an RF extender as long as you didn't do that thing we talked about earlier in the thread about directly adding ir codes from different devices.

You just add the RF base station to your CCP file and then click the RF Control button under program. You assign the devices you want controlled by RF and and save.
post #118 of 245 Old 12-17-2013, 01:57 PM

You mean aliasing vs. clicking and dragging IR codes out of the database? I did both but as minimally as possible. I don't quite understand. You have to directly use an IR code at least one place in order for aliases to work right?
post #119 of 245 Old 12-17-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:

You mean aliasing vs. clicking and dragging IR codes out of the database? I did both but as minimally as possible. I don't quite understand. You have to directly use an IR code at least one place in order for aliases to work right?

Yeah, it is OK as long as they are all in the same device. The problem comes in when you put IR codes from two different physical devices into a single device on your remote. In this case you need to use the macros or aliases.
post #120 of 245 Old 12-17-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Those of you interested in these remotes, is this cord in the picture the MX 850 programing cable. I know its hard to tell without being here but I remember it being this one. I was also smart enough to take the batteries out for all these years and they fired right up . I also have a Universal remotes MRF-300
IMG_0711_zps3448124b.jpg

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Mx 780 Universal Remote Control , Mx 890

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page