Official URC Remote Thread for MX-780, MX-890, and MX-1200 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 208 Old 03-12-2014, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is there a way to get RS-232 support with a MRX-2, RFX-250, and MX-890+MX-780 for 2nd room setup. For example - can I add a MSC-400 with its additional RFX-250 and assign my RS-232 devices to that? Or does the remote only talk to one base station at a time?

For that matter -- will the MX-890/780 even talk to the MSC-400.

Thanks
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 208 Old 03-17-2014, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm looking to get some ideas on how I can improve my current config on the 890.
Here's a quick run-down of the logic:

1) All items are powered on from the MAIN page. (only the Panasonic projector and the Denon AVR, everything else stays on) There is an info screen in case you press power buttons on an activity page.
2) At any given time we can quickly switch to the security cameras from whatever we're watching. (anyone at the door, or if we hear something out of the ordinary) Whatever we're watching is automatically paused, and playback resumes when we switch back.
3) Audio Input info is viewable on-screen from "watching" pages. (shows on the projector, not the remote)
4) All activities pages have direct access to the Lutron dimmer to control the lights.
5) Since there is no Punch Through for the RGYB buttons, I have incorporated a separate page with brief instructions because of the nature of the buttons. On the Denon, you can press OR press/hold for more surround options.

The only devices used in the HT room are these:
Denon AVR-X4000
DirecTV HR44
Panasonic PT-AE8000
XBMC Media Center PC
Security Camera DVR
Lutron GrafikEYE

All other devices are in other rooms in the house, and are not part of the activities or macros.

What I wanted to see was if anyone had any suggestions on making this a little more concise, or if there are any changes to be made in order to make things function more efficiently. I'm currently leaving the DirecTV HR44 "ON" because of the way it handles the factory remote (those new small pill-shaped ones). The factory remote is IR or RF, and it's finicky with the power buttons.
I've included a copy of my .CCP file for you guys to look at, and/or use for your own reference. (I used some graphics that you may not have, so they may be missing when you load it)

I'd also like to be able to input commands while the remote is in the middle of a macro, then after a certain time, switch back to the previous activity or page. I'm not sure this is possible. (an example would be the surround options on the Denon... have it automatically switch back to the previous page on the remote after maybe 30 sec., since it doesn't change the inputs or anything else)

Let me know what you think!

Scott

HomeTheater_RF.CCP
post #183 of 208 Old 03-18-2014, 04:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoering View Post

Is there a way to get RS-232 support with a MRX-2, RFX-250, and MX-890+MX-780 for 2nd room setup. For example - can I add a MSC-400 with its additional RFX-250 and assign my RS-232 devices to that? Or does the remote only talk to one base station at a time?

For that matter -- will the MX-890/780 even talk to the MSC-400.

Thanks
Bill

Yes, those models will work with the MSC-400. They will give you one-way RS232 control.
post #184 of 208 Old 04-06-2014, 07:20 AM

Liked: 10

I need the Complete Control Software for my MX 1200. Can anyone out there please help me. I am a pretty advanced computer person and want to program my own system.

post #185 of 208 Old 04-06-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 102
It's HUGE. Really HUGE. About the size of what a XP install was.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #186 of 208 Old 04-06-2014, 07:39 AM

Is there any way you can share the software with me? I would be eternally gratefull.

post #187 of 208 Old 04-06-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

PM me.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #188 of 208 Old 04-06-2014, 08:26 AM

I just joined and I don't know what PM stands for or how to do it.

post #189 of 208 Old 04-06-2014, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Private Message, should be under Preferences. Yours is turned off. It may only be available after a period of time.

post #190 of 208 Old 04-18-2014, 11:20 AM

I feel like this should be easy for me to figure out but if anyone could help that would be awesome. When I originally had my MX-1200 programmed I had direct tv. Now I had cox cable and the model number for my contour box does not seem to be on the device lists on the version of CCP that I have. I am trying to do the learn function but I must be doing something wrong. I hit learn and it bring up a window in which the first step asks "button name" but it won't let me type anything. Anyone with insight? Thank you so much
post #191 of 208 Old 04-18-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 283
That's a Cisco 9865HDC. Uses same codes as the 8742HDC, 8642HDC, 4642HDC, 1642HDC, 8240HDC, and 8300HD. On a one-for-all, that's code 00877 or 01877 (Panasonic-old Dev 27). I don't know what the equivalent for URC would be. Those codes have been around for a very long time, so it's unlikely you'd need to learn them.
post #192 of 208 Old 04-18-2014, 03:46 PM

Thanks I actually just remembered I was doing it wrong. I tried those codes previously but was in the wrong spot. Got it. I figured out the learn function again too. It's been a while since pulling up CCP. Anyone have an xbox one IR solution for the MX-1200?
post #193 of 208 Old 04-18-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIFchamp24 View Post

Anyone have an xbox one IR solution for the MX-1200?
The pronto hex has been posted at remotecentral ever since the One came out. Just put it in whichever URC you can and teach any other remotes that can't load pronto hex.
post #194 of 208 Old 05-13-2014, 01:22 PM

My name is Brian and I used to work for Tweeter etc, which was a large A/V chain on the east coast. We closed our doors a couple years ago, and I moved on to doing other things. Anyway, I love URC and I purchased an MX-780 remote and now I can't get the software for it. The last remote I owned was a mx-810, and I just sent in a request to URC and they sent me a download link. I know how to program these remotes, I have plenty of experience, and Im not looking to do it professionally anymore, I just want to do it for myself. I spoke to a tech guy from URC and he said I had to contact my rep and register for the "Control Room" to get the software. Which blows. Can you or anyone else help me out? I Either need the software for the mx-780, or a "registration Password". It would be extremely appreciated.

post #195 of 208 Old 06-17-2014, 01:15 PM

Liked: 0
I just got an MX-1200 and I am having some major trouble trying to program this thing. I have been reading the manuals and everything but haven't gotten very far. I believe that I have the devices I want it to control in there but I don't know if they work or not. I got this remote from my in-laws with a Yamaha sound bar. I had a Harmony 1100 that broke (2 really, that I was hoping to hobble together a working one but ended up with 2 different versions). I really miss the "activities" functions to get it all set up as my wife is not good with technology or using 2-3 remotes like we have gone back to. I do IT work for a living and know a little bit about programming and am just baffled about how to do this. I really would like the logical progression of programming this thing. I know that the Harmony line is different but it was easy to follow, you add devices, then you add what you want to do with them and done. This thing is a whole different ball game. I have looked at the sample file but since I cant really nail down what does what and why it was put there it doesn't really help. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated as I am getting increasingly frustrated. The sad part is I don't even have a big system or anything just a Blu-Ray, the sound bar, TV, and a DirecTV DVR (genie).

TL;DR - CCP is really complicated and I need help with programming.
post #196 of 208 Old 06-17-2014, 01:22 PM

I spent a LONG time programming mine to do what I wanted. Thats mostly because I have never programmed anything before and plus as I used it, I saw where my programming and ideas fell short. Somewhere here, maybe the first page, is an example programming file. I would start by loading that into CCP and seeing how it is set up. I have had mine for 6 months, and I still change a thing or two here and there. Thats really what I like best about it. I had a harmony before, and it was terrible.

So...my MAIN two activities are 'Watch TV' and 'Watch Blu-Ray'.

So for instance, when I push the button for watch TV:

Turns on dish
Turns on AVR
turns on TV
JUMPS to a screen with DVR related functions

This probably does not help much at all, but I think finding that example CCP file will help you a lot to see how it all functions. I swear...if I can make it work, you can make it work.
post #197 of 208 Old 06-17-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have a older (but current) remote, the MX900. The 950 is nicer, but both are somewhat overpriced even at dealer cost.
I never have used the two current programs. They handle all of their current remotes (mine included). To their credit, they do have somewhat extensive collection of manuals included with the huge (710-735 MB) software package.

What brazosdog02 was talking about is setting up macros. A series of commands in a specific order (with or without delays) to 'setup' more than one piece of equipment; TV, A/V receiver, optical player, DVR etc. Sorry that I can't really help you further.

post #198 of 208 Old 06-18-2014, 08:18 AM

I know, I have looked the example and I guess what I am looking for is a list of commands. I might just try using it with no macros. At least then I could use the sound bar and only one remote. The more I read about this remote the further away I get from understanding why anyone would spend this much money for so much hassle. (keep in mind this was given to me) I mean I have taken 2-3 programming courses like visual basic and java, it is true I hated programming but that doesn't mean I don't get the concept, and I still can't get how this program works. I don't mean to to rag on the remote, I'm sure it is fine once it is programmed I just think it could be a lot easier and I am super frustrated with it.
post #199 of 208 Old 06-18-2014, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just so you are aware these are not sold as a consumer product. These were originally sold where only a dealer would program them and URC offers its dealers free training courses. Now a illegal website exists so anyone can download the software. These are not Harmony remotes (thank God) and they offer much more customization. The 1200 is a top end remote and has the most customization ability of all the CCP wand remotes.

The manuals offer a decent step by step instructions on adding a number of devices and then setting up the activities. Remember you don't even have to add a device you can simply drag a command into the marco editor or a command to a button.

I guess I would stay start with adding your different devices to one page. Then you can upload and test to make sure each component responds to the commands and you get the expected results. Once you have all of your devices working separately you can add a new empty device and do your punch through commands and set up your on and off macro's. I would say once you get your devices up and running come back and tell us specifically what you are having issues with.
post #200 of 208 Old 06-18-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You have to really think out your situation. What functions do you really use on each device.
I look at each remote and figure out what do I want where on the URC remote (buttons that are not defecated like the number pad & transport controls).
Do you want video controls available when you are using your sources (instead of switching back to the TV)?
Write down the softkey names (on the LCD screen) on a piece of paper so you don't forget anything (they can be moved around later).

It's a number of trial and errors to get everything the way you want it.

post #201 of 208 Old 06-19-2014, 07:06 AM

I would like to disagree that this isn't a consumer product. The fact that is was sold to my in-laws I would say proves otherwise. Also just for my own knowledge I would like to know what is so wrong with the Harmony line? My 1100 was everything I wanted it to be, and was more than easily programmed and customized by me in a couple of hours. Thanks for the replys though I really do appreciate the opinions and I don't want anyone to think that I am just coming here to trash the product or line. I really want help. I am going test the remote to see if it works with the devices that I had added so far. If it does then I will start on marcos. All I really want it to do is turn the TV on and set the input for 3 devices, dvd, DirecTV, and media center computer and maybe one that is just for connecting my phone to the sound bar.
post #202 of 208 Old 06-19-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It's a consumer device that was intended to be setup by a dealer which is a huge mistake AFAIC, just like TiVo's huge mistake adding an additional charge on to they products to the extent the product is unable to be used without paying a subscription/service (whatever you want to call it) on top of what was charged for the device.
URC would have a much larger user base if they would get their heads pout of their you know what and offer the software to the customer and remotes at a fair price, not inflated as they are now. If the customer wants to pay someone to program their equipment separately, that should be optional, not forced,

As far as Harmony, requiring a Internet connection to program a remote is as bad as URC's setup. Yes, I know at least it can be used without paying someone to program it, but there is no solid reason to on this on line.

Last edited by videobruce; 06-19-2014 at 01:02 PM.
post #203 of 208 Old 06-19-2014, 01:45 PM

Thanks for the reply and I am glad that someone agrees (at least a little) that this should not be the norm. Once I try the remote just to see if it works with my equipment I will start on Macros and work on getting them going.
post #204 of 208 Old 07-11-2014, 10:16 PM

Save the IR Settings?

Has anyone on this thread played with the "IR Setting" of the software? I have a MX-890 and some of the button presses need to be held a split second longer, so I want to adjust the repeat. But when I try to do this on the IR setting, I can't SAVE any changes. I can only cancel. Has someone encountered this? Any ideas?
post #205 of 208 Old 07-16-2014, 06:28 PM

Hello, I'm considering picking up a 780 or 890 to replace an 850 that has seen better days. I have a few questions I was hoping some owners or dealers could answer.

1) My understanding is that the screen buttons on the 780 do not work unless the remote has been activated by either pressing another button or the light button. Is that correct? Does the 890 have the same behavior? (I often just press screen buttons on my 850 while it sits on the table without picking it up.)

2) How is the battery life on the 780? I know this will vary a lot with usage patterns and screen settings but a general feel would be nice. One month? Two? Six? If you had an 850 before a comparison would be great.

3) Is there any noticeable difference in the build quality of the remotes. I know the 890 is lighter and has more contouring on the back, but is there any noticeable difference in the button quality or things along those lines?

4) I have an articulating monitor arm on the table the remote will live on and I'm concerned about clearance. How tall is the 890 when resting in it's cradle? And if anyone leaves their 890 off the charger what's the typical charge time from low to full?

Thanks in advance for any information anyone can provide.
post #206 of 208 Old 07-20-2014, 09:32 AM
PKN

Hi, I'm a newbie to this forum and am looking for an updated editor/software to reprogramMX-900 (either MX-900 editor or CCP). Just swapped out SONY STR DH500 with SONY STR DH550 but remote will now onlywork on some commands (e.g. turns off unit but not turn on unit). Thought thisshould be simple as the DH550 is just the newer version. Trying not to go backto installer (installed original DH500 in 2010, broke in 2012 - installer fixed/replaced unit for nominal charge. But broke again a month ago). Installer has been lookingfor annual maintenance agreements for "preferred" customers. This mighteven have been okay if employer had not retired me in 2012. Not financiallystrapped but must be more vigilant regarding cash expenditures. Also have much more free time to dothis and other things myself. Reasonably handy DIYér and comfortable with programming. One additional question, is there a special cable to attach remote to Windows 7 PC or is it just any USB/mini USB wire? Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.
post #207 of 208 Old 07-21-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashell View Post
Hello, I'm considering picking up a 780 or 890 to replace an 850 that has seen better days. I have a few questions I was hoping some owners or dealers could answer.

1) My understanding is that the screen buttons on the 780 do not work unless the remote has been activated by either pressing another button or the light button. Is that correct? Does the 890 have the same behavior? (I often just press screen buttons on my 850 while it sits on the table without picking it up.)

2) How is the battery life on the 780? I know this will vary a lot with usage patterns and screen settings but a general feel would be nice. One month? Two? Six? If you had an 850 before a comparison would be great.

3) Is there any noticeable difference in the build quality of the remotes. I know the 890 is lighter and has more contouring on the back, but is there any noticeable difference in the button quality or things along those lines?

4) I have an articulating monitor arm on the table the remote will live on and I'm concerned about clearance. How tall is the 890 when resting in it's cradle? And if anyone leaves their 890 off the charger what's the typical charge time from low to full?

Thanks in advance for any information anyone can provide.
1. True. 890 has a motion sensor in it, unlike the 780, so it will light up on pickup.
2. No idea.
3. Yes, 890 feels like it was manufactured to slightly lower tolerances.
4. You can charge the 890 by plugging the cord directly into the bottom of the remote as well, the dock is not necessary.
post #208 of 208 Old 07-21-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budd1e_lee View Post
3. Yes, 890 feels like it was manufactured to slightly lower tolerances.
Thanks for the response. By lower do you mean smaller/tighter as in the 890 is better?
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Mx 780 Universal Remote Control , Mx 890

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page