Official URC Remote Thread for MX-780, MX-890, and MX-1200 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 208 Old 08-05-2013, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
There doesn't seem to be any official thread on AVS yet for these remotes so I figured I would start one.

The URC MX-780, MX-890 and MX-1200 are part of the 2013 Universal Remote Control "Complete Control" lineup.

After using a couple of Harmony 900 remotes for the past few years and then being utterly disappointed with their newest Harmony Ultimate product I finally decided to switch to something that allowed more customization. I now own a MX-780 and a MX-890 and absolutely love them. I've found the build quality difference to be night and day between Logitech and the URC remotes and love the extra functionality and customization that URC's remotes allow.

Programming the remotes has been a fun learning experience also, but it probably is not for everyone. For committed DIYers, this shouldn't be much of an issue but for those who doesn't want the extra features or customization they are better off paying a custom AV installer to do it, or staying with the Harmony series since it is easier to program. I originally paid a custom installer to do programming for me but was really disappointed with the outcome and the lack of functionality so decided to try my own hand at it.

I've attached some cut-sheets of the different remotes and their features.

If you have a URC professional series remote, share your experience with it!

URC Remotes.pdf 1220k .pdf file
MX-780.pdf 639k .pdf file
MX-890.pdf 666k .pdf file
MX-1200.pdf 666k .pdf file

Note -- As Edmund pointed out the URC MX-780 is sometimes re-labeled as the URC X-7 and sold in retail outlets (such as Best Buy/Magnolia). It is identical to the MX-780.

UPDATE:
I am including a simple installer I made that will install an example CCP file for anyone who would like to use it as a template to learn or customize their own. I'm not a URC trained professional and don't do this for a living, just decided to tinker with it in my spare time and the following file is the result of that. This file is based off of my own personal equipment, a URC MX-890 and a URC MX-780. Both examples are included in the file. Variables and macros are used to track power on/off states.

Download and unzip the package. After that, simply double click on the program to install the file. After installation, you should see a CCP Example.ccp file on your desktop which you can then open in your CCP software.

Screenshot:

Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1099818/CCP%20Example.zip

Let me know if you have any problems.

UPDATE #2:
If you're interested in purchasing a URC remote that requires professional programming, be aware that unless your dealer provides you with the software program, you will not be able to make ANY changes to your remote after the dealer has left your home. Even the smallest change will require your dealer to come back and charge you for a service call.

If you're a DIY enthusiast (like most of us AVS members are) the best advice is to make sure that your dealer agrees to provide you with the URC CCP software package before you agree to the sale. If the dealer refuses, find one that agrees. URC's official policy is that each dealer can decide whether they wish to provide their clients with the software program. Any dealer that states URC forbids them from providing it, is not being honest.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MX-780.pdf (638.5 KB, 165 views)
File Type: pdf MX-890.pdf (665.5 KB, 116 views)
File Type: pdf MX-1200.pdf (665.9 KB, 80 views)
File Type: pdf URC Remotes.pdf (1.19 MB, 103 views)
sooke and leonmckee like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 208 Old 08-05-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
There is a clone of the mx-780 sold through some retail stores, its the x-7.
post #3 of 208 Old 08-05-2013, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post

There is a clone of the mx-780 sold through some retail stores, its the x-7.

Good point, I forgot about that! I have seen Best Buy carrying it on their website, and Geek Squad even offers programming services for it (YMMV).

I've edited the first post to include the X-7.
post #4 of 208 Old 08-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Thanks for starting this thread Rehan.

I purchased the MX-780 yesterday. It should be here in a week. It was a toss up between the 780 and the 890; ultimately I went with the 780 because it was cheaper. But since you have both, which do you prefer and why? I think the feature I will miss most from the 890 is the motion sensor. Wish the 780 had that.

Can't wait to program it.
Rehan likes this.

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player
Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBOX 360
URC MX-780 remote control
post #5 of 208 Old 08-06-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooke View Post

Thanks for starting this thread Rehan.

I purchased the MX-780 yesterday. It should be here in a week. It was a toss up between the 780 and the 890; ultimately I went with the 780 because it was cheaper. But since you have both, which do you prefer and why? I think the feature I will miss most from the 890 is the motion sensor. Wish the 780 had that.

Can't wait to program it.

Thanks for chiming in sooke!

You're going to really like the MX-780. Having both of them, I have to say that there's different things I love about both of them. The MX-890's charging cradle is pretty cool and convenient but the MX-780's batteries setup is also very nice since I have my MX-780 in a room that is not used daily. Not having to worry about always having it charged, or battery memory playing a role is a great plus of the 780.

For the MX-890, the bigger screen, motion sensor and the customization of graphics are probably my favorite things. The 890 also has advanced If/Else programming options which the 780 doesn't but I have so far found no need for that feature so can't really comment on it.

I find the 780 more fun and easy to program than the 890, and I really liked the choice of built-in graphics that they provided so it wasn't a real issue to me that I couldn't customize them. On the 890 I did upload my own graphics and at first thought I would really miss that on the 780 but after seeing the stock icons they provide, I found them to be more than enough for my needs.

Are you going to be using IR only or did you get an RF base station with it?

If you have any questions about programming, hit up this thread -- I'm pretty new to it myself but would be glad to help as much as I can.

The picture below is my 780 setup with my Dish Satellite, Blu-ray, PS3, iPod, Media Server, and room lighting control.

sooke likes this.
post #6 of 208 Old 08-07-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Time to pull the plastic film off the screen wink.gif

post #7 of 208 Old 08-07-2013, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Time to pull the plastic film off the screen wink.gif

Hahaha wasn't sure if I was going to keep the remote or not in the beginning when I didn't know how to program it so I had kept the plastic on. It has long since been removed! smile.gif
post #8 of 208 Old 08-10-2013, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have two MX-780's and have only programmed one so far. It was a bit of a challenge moving from the old MX Editor I have used to the new CCP software but I'm getting used to it. Overall, the remote is very solid and works great, still some tweaking to do yet. Each one has a MRF-350 for RF comm. I couldn't pass up the deal on them.

Question for you Rehan: what lighting are you using? I'm considering URC lighting since its so easy to pair with the remote.
post #9 of 208 Old 08-10-2013, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekkoville View Post

I have two MX-780's and have only programmed one so far. It was a bit of a challenge moving from the old MX Editor I have used to the new CCP software but I'm getting used to it. Overall, the remote is very solid and works great, still some tweaking to do yet. Each one has a MRF-350 for RF comm. I couldn't pass up the deal on them.

Question for you Rehan: what lighting are you using? I'm considering URC lighting since its so easy to pair with the remote.

Hey ekkoville, I'm using the Lutron URC dimmer switch, the part number is MRFA-600M-URC-WH.

How many devices are you controlling with your 780? Used any creative solutions or macros?
post #10 of 208 Old 08-10-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I can tell you that when first setting up my 780, after programming the devices in, each had a macro icon them. I hadn't even added any keys in any of the devices yet let alone macros? So erased all the macros, then I couldn't enter the devices, turns out they use jump macro to go from the main page to first page of a device, stupid. I had to start over. frown.gif Now you can't tell which device has a macro you programmed yourself since all have macro icon on at all times. frown.gif
post #11 of 208 Old 08-10-2013, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I can tell you that when first setting up my 780, after programming the devices in, each had a macro icon them. I hadn't even added any keys in any of the devices yet let alone macros? So erased all the macros, then I couldn't enter the devices, turns out they use jump macro to go from the main page to first page of a device, stupid. I had to start over. frown.gif Now you can't tell which device has a macro you programmed yourself since all have macro icon on at all times. frown.gif

I can see how that could be a little confusing but can't you just click on the activity and check the Macro window to see if its just a regular jump or a full macro that you programmed yourself? Mind sharing your file? I'm not sure I really understand why you would need to know which macros you created yourself...maybe I'm just not understanding the issue completely.
post #12 of 208 Old 08-10-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

The biggest problem was I had to start over, not that I couldn't tell which macro hadn't been set. I took my time programming it, it might have been a week go by between programming sessions. How do I share my file? Copy it from the computer, then paste it here?
post #13 of 208 Old 08-10-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The biggest problem was I had to start over, not that I couldn't tell which macro hadn't been set. I took my time programming it, it might have been a week go by between programming sessions. How do I share my file? Copy it from the computer, then paste it here?

Yep, upload your CCP file on here.
post #14 of 208 Old 08-10-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't get it, I copy it, come back here, and then there's nothing there to paste. tried it on two computers.
post #15 of 208 Old 08-10-2013, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Click on the paperclip icon in the message posting area to upload an attachment.
post #16 of 208 Old 08-10-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

mx-780#1.zip 13k .zip file
Attached Files
File Type: zip mx-780#1.zip (12.9 KB, 94 views)
post #17 of 208 Old 08-10-2013, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Hey edmund,

I just got a chance to look at it.

Are you just trying to get macros up and running at this point, or something more?

I see you have 2 DirecTV boxes -- in order to be able to control them individually you will have to assign one IR port on your MRF-260 to each box and then setup CCP so that it only sends signals for that activity to the specified port.

If there's something specific you're having issue with, I'd be glad to help.
post #18 of 208 Old 08-10-2013, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Its all set, each device has macro for input only, I am old school, device driven, learning each and every command for 99 % of the remote. I have three Directv receivers using different addresses each, no conflicts there. Even though I no longer subscribe to directv, but I still have dvrs with movies and shows. I'm working on new setup where the directv receivers are on the second page, and two dvd players are on the first. I'm take my time programming it as well.

I got my mx-780 via employees discount, for my help with urc remotes for the last ten years on remote central, thanks to Hank at URC.
post #19 of 208 Old 08-10-2013, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Its all set, each device has macro for input only, I am old school, device driven, learning each and every command for 99 % of the remote. I have three Directv receivers using different addresses each, no conflicts there. Even though I no longer subscribe to directv, but I still have dvrs with movies and shows. I'm working on new setup where the directv receivers are on the second page, and two dvd players are on the first. I'm take my time programming it as well.

I got my mx-780 via employees discount, for my help with urc remotes for the last ten years on remote central, thanks to Hank at URC.

Not sure if it doesn't carry over when you send a file but it looks like all your devices are set to RF + IR control and outputting on ALL emitter ports rather than on specific ones. I'm guessing maybe that just didn't carry over in the file.

I am not seeing any macros at all (besides the page jumps). Are you planning on setting up full activity macros or are you just using the remote as a simple collection of functions from your regular devices remotes?
post #20 of 208 Old 08-10-2013, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

I've gone ahead and updated the first post of this thread with a simple program that will install an example of my setup with the URC MX-890 and URC MX-780. Figured it might be helpful for new users to look at it and learn how to implement macros and variables. Let me know if there are any issues with the file.
post #21 of 208 Old 08-10-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehan View Post

Not sure if it doesn't carry over when you send a file but it looks like all your devices are set to RF + IR control and outputting on ALL emitter ports rather than on specific ones. I'm guessing maybe that just didn't carry over in the file.

I am not seeing any macros at all (besides the page jumps). Are you planning on setting up full activity macros or are you just using the remote as a simple collection of functions from your regular devices remotes?

At this time I don't have basestation plugged in, don't need it. I had a bad mx-780 that stopped outputting IR and RF, So I was switching it back and forth from IR only, to RF only, and IR & RF.

For each device, open the macro tab, you first see the jump macro, then at the bottom click AFTER, and you see the second macro.
post #22 of 208 Old 08-10-2013, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

At this time I don't have basestation plugged in, don't need it. I had a bad mx-780 that stopped outputting IR and RF, So I was switching it back and forth from IR only, to RF only, and IR & RF.

For each device, open the macro tab, you first see the jump macro, then at the bottom click AFTER, and you see the second macro.

Ah sorry about that, didn't see your press&hold setup first time I looked at it.

What is your workflow like when you're using the device? If you are wanting to watch a Blu-ray movie, which steps do you take? Do you click on TV, then do power on, then go back to main, and click on AV Receiver, and then click Power on that, and then go to Blu-ray and then click power on again?
post #23 of 208 Old 08-10-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

No power commands in my macros, say I'm turned to ROKU, I tap main, press and hold BluRay, the tv turns to bluray input, i tap right power to turn on the bluray. In all devices if the device has power command its on the System power key, the left Power key always has TV power toggle. Don't turn off the bluray until the tv goes off and takes the bluray with it and the end of the day. It mostly tv tuner, Roku, or Bluray. Since I moved three times in year and half, at this time av receiver is the box. Only using tv volume now. For me what makes it work is discrete HDMI inputs for the tv and av receiver when I used it.
post #24 of 208 Old 08-12-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

No power commands in my macros, say I'm turned to ROKU, I tap main, press and hold BluRay, the tv turns to bluray input, i tap right power to turn on the bluray. In all devices if the device has power command its on the System power key, the left Power key always has TV power toggle. Don't turn off the bluray until the tv goes off and takes the bluray with it and the end of the day. It mostly tv tuner, Roku, or Bluray. Since I moved three times in year and half, at this time av receiver is the box. Only using tv volume now. For me what makes it work is discrete HDMI inputs for the tv and av receiver when I used it.

Are you using HDMI CEC to control the power on some of your devices? Your workflow would drive me crazy (too many button pushes required) but if it is working for you, that's all that matters!
post #25 of 208 Old 08-13-2013, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hey, thanks for the comparison between 780 and 890 Rehan.

I've programmed my new 780 this past weekend and have been using it for a few days. It took me a little while to adjust from the MX-700 editor to CCP. Once I got the new interface figured out everything was fine though. Here is my take on the remote so far:

The good:
  • I like the look and feel. Always thought the MX-700 was unattractive and awkward to hold (too wide). Especially for smaller hands like my wife and kids' hands. I think they can handle the 780 better.
  • I like the RGBY and Record buttons. My cable box, TV, and bluray player all make use of RGBY buttons, so 780's RGBY hard buttons saves having to implement them on the OLED screen.
  • The kids like the color screen.
  • Can press buttons with remote sitting on a table without it tipping. Never liked how the 700 was tippy.

The bad:
  • It is hard to feel the difference between buttons in the dark. All the buttons are small and many similarly shaped. Sometime I end up pressing the wrong one, like Sunday night at about midnight when I pressed volume up instead of volume down and woke the wife up. Oops. I liked how the volume and channel buttons on the MX-700 were oblong. Easy to find them in the dark and reliably press up or down without guessing.
  • CCP device database does not have xbox 360 in it. MX-700 editor database did. Huh? Also does not have 2013 Panasonic TVs or 2013 Sony bluray players, but I found some older models that were close enough.
  • The two power buttons should be labeled On and Off, like on the mx-700. Power and System? First thing my kids asked me was what button to push to turn TV on, then what button to turn TV off.

Overall I'm happy with the 780. And I really needed a new one, my mx-700 was falling apart after 10 years of solid use.

My workflow reflects the fact that non-techies will be using the remote, so it is activity based. Pressing Main brings up the Activity menu. The four options (cable, bluray, Wii, xbox) all use a pretty graphic for their buttons. If Main is pressed again, the screen toggles to the Devices menu. The devices menu is intended just for me (like if I'm watching cable but want to play with some TV settings). I did not use pictures for the device screen, instead just labeling the buttons. So the rest of the family has been told their menu is the one with the pretty pictures. If they get to Dad's menu, just press Main again and they are back on track.

The other simplification I do is for powering on and off. Pressing the green power button turns everything on (TV, receiver, bluray, and cable box). Pressing the red power button turns everything off. All devices have discrete on and off codes except the cable box (sigh, don't get me started). I wanted the remote to power on to the same activity as the system powers on to. This will be whatever activity the system was on when powered off. Unfortunately, the mx-780 has very limited state variable capability. So I use fake "devices" to remember the system's state when it is powered off. Since I have 4 activities, I also have 4 corresponding Off devices. Each of these devices has just one macro programmed to the green power button. The macro is identical for all 4 Off devices, except the last step is a jump-to the activity that matches the system state.

An alternative would be to make the power on macro also set the system state to some default, like always switch to the cable box on power up. Then I don't need the remote to remember the system state when it powered off. But I'm just used to doing it the way described above because for years I had a TV that took 2 minutes to power on during which time it would not accept commands to switch it's inputs.
Rehan likes this.

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player
Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBOX 360
URC MX-780 remote control
post #26 of 208 Old 08-13-2013, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing sooke. That is a cool and creative way to do the "revert to last activity". If you don't mind sharing your CCP file, please upload it on here so that others can look at your programming and learn from it as well. I have all of my gear inside an AV cabinet and am worried about too much heat production so I have my remote setup to only turn on what is being used and to make sure everything else is off, but the All On/All Off + Remember Last Activity is a pretty nice way of doing it also!
post #27 of 208 Old 08-20-2013, 01:19 PM
hwb

Liked: 10
Is there any place I can get the actual URC CCP (Complete Control Program) PC software so I can reprogram my MX-780?
post #28 of 208 Old 08-20-2013, 02:36 PM

hwb,

Were you able to find a source for the file? I am also looking for one. Have a couple of URC remotes that I would like to change the configuration on but have not been able to get the software. My local dealer informed me that URC does not provide the software to the end user...which is a shame.

Please do share if you know of a place where it is available. Thanks.
post #29 of 208 Old 08-20-2013, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The URC policy is that the dealer can supply the software to the end user but URC will not supply it themselves. It keeps the dealers at some level in control of distribution and helps protect their business. I would not purchase a URC remote from any dealer that would not supply the software. Don't expect a dealer to give you the software though after you have went to ebay and bought one for 150 bucks under msrp. I have a very good relationship with my dealer and I get a reasonable discount for my years of staying with him and I get the software and do all my own programming.
post #30 of 208 Old 08-20-2013, 03:58 PM

After some googling and figuring out how to install software I actually got an install for the software!
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Mx 780 Universal Remote Control , Mx 890

User Tag List