Question for Harmony Smart Control Users - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-14-2013, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hello everyone,

My name is Sylvain, and I work in Harmony's Customer Experience team.

I'd like to reach out to Harmony Smart Control users -- specifically those who own a Bluetooth device (PS3, Wii, Wii U) and performed their setup on MyHarmony -- in order to understand a specific scenario a little better, and what your expectation or experience was as a user.

1) After completing setup on MyHarmony and trying to power on and use your Bluetooth device for the first time, was it clear that the Harmony app was needed in order to pair with the device?

2) If not, what was the first thing you tried? How or what eventually helped you understand the app needed to be used? Approximately how long did it take for this to become clear?

3) Were you at all frustrated or annoyed by this experience or did you find it acceptable?

Your replies and thoughts will be taken into consideration when shaping the experience for the next wave of Harmony products -- thanks in advance!

-Sylvain

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-22-2013, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Do you take feedback on 650? As I really want to be able to change activity orders in MyHarmony, together with some other things.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-23-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjt133 View Post

Do you take feedback on 650? As I really want to be able to change activity orders in MyHarmony, together with some other things.

Hi hotjt133,

Thanks for your response. Yes, we'd be happy to receive feedback on the 600 / 650 / 700 line of remotes. We've already made not of the desire to reorder Activities on these remotes using MyHarmony.

Are the other suggestions included in the official Harmony 600 / 650 and 700 threads? I'll be parsing them soon as well to collect feedback and improvement ideas. If you prefer, you can also send me a PM with your thoughts and suggestions.

Regards,

Sylvain

post #4 of 9 Old 08-25-2013, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Thanks Sylvain. I can understand you don't want to implement activity ordering to differetiate the higher and lower models.

You may have read some of my rants in the 650/700 threads. Forgive my mood at that time, but that's just a love-hate relationship where you desire a bit more from your expectations.

The overall feeling on the myharmony is that you are trying very very hard to limit, and over-control the remote behaviour.

• Some remotes can do 250 steps so myharmony shouldn't limit the sequence to 10 steps. Presumably memory is not the limiting factor. This is one of few areas that you stayed behind the competition.
  • In the activity power on sequence, just give users an excel style grid and let the user to put whatever command, delay, or anything, any order they want. This is an easier programming and easier setup, because it let the user to take full control on everything. This will greatly reduce trial and error, and possibly reduce your support efforts. If you open up this flexible grid, then all my rants should go away, such as:
    • Why only allow you to reorder the device in power on sequence, but not power off? In some situations you do need.
    • Why can't insert a command before, or in-between the power on steps? And why can't you insert a command after, or in-between the power off steps? Some situations do need this.
    • They force you to setup power on/off delay and other command in device level instead of activity level. This overcomplicate things. Some situations I need different power on/off delay in different activites. Just open up the activity grid and let you choose.
    • Why some delays are limited to 0.5second step, while some others in 100ms steps? Can't they just implement a numeric field to let you put in whatever seconds or milliseconds? To force you click the arrow to increase from 0 to 20 seconds, in 100ms interval, is stupid.
  • Remove the requirement that a device must have an input. My HTPC is a source and it does not have any input, yet it forced me to create at least one input, otherwise the Next button is disabled. It just made me feel stupid to invent a non-existent input just to complete the setup.
  • I have a very particular setup that requires another power on command after the fixed power-on activity. But the power on command does not exist in the drop down list of the device! Yes, only the power command disappeared. Your programmers must be think why do you need a power command after the power-on sequence. But in my case, I do need it. So you forced me look like a fool to create another power-on command, by learning its own power-on command!
  • This one should be a bug: I need 22 seconds of power on delay. So after 20 seconds delay (which is the limit) I added another 2 seconds delay, so that the input switching is delayed 22 seconds. But if I do not put a dummy command after the second delay, it won't honor it.

All in all, I just get the feeling that you are spending unnecessary programming resources to delibrately make it inflexible, for no benefit for anyone.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-29-2013, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your thoughts hotjt133.

At the risk of derailing this thread, I have tried to provide answers to your thoughts and remarks smile.gif
Quote:

Thanks Sylvain. I can understand you don't want to implement activity ordering to differetiate the higher and lower models.

You may have read some of my rants in the 650/700 threads. Forgive my mood at that time, but that's just a love-hate relationship where you desire a bit more from your expectations.

Nothing to forgive. smile.gif Your passion for our products and desire to see them improve is appreciated!

Quote:

The overall feeling on the myharmony is that you are trying very very hard to limit, and over-control the remote behaviour.
  • Some remotes can do 250 steps so myharmony shouldn't limit the sequence to 10 steps. Presumably memory is not the limiting factor. This is one of few areas that you stayed behind the competition.

The 8/27 release just increased the command limit in Sequences to 25. We hope this is enough to accommodate everyone's needs. Should this not be, we're always willing to revisit this topic and understand what people are trying to achieve that requires a higher amount of steps.

Quote:

[*] In the activity power on sequence, just give users an excel style grid and let the user to put whatever command, delay, or anything, any order they want. This is an easier programming and easier setup, because it let the user to take full control on everything. This will greatly reduce trial and error, and possibly reduce your support efforts. If you open up this flexible grid, then all my rants should go away, such as:
  • Why only allow you to reorder the device in power on sequence, but not power off? In some situations you do need.
  • Why can't insert a command before, or in-between the power on steps? And why can't you insert a command after, or in-between the power off steps? Some situations do need this.

If possible, please PM me with some examples of things you are trying to do that require this and we will review them with the team.

Quote:

[*]They force you to setup power on/off delay and other command in device level instead of activity level. This overcomplicate things. Some situations I need different power on/off delay in different activites. Just open up the activity grid and let you choose.

Defining power on and off actions at the Activity level would make Activities a lot more complicated to configure, but your point is well received and understood. If you could, please also send us a few examples where different device power on/off actions would be required, they will also be reviewed.

Quote:

[*]Why some delays are limited to 0.5second step, while some others in 100ms steps? Can't they just implement a numeric field to let you put in whatever seconds or milliseconds? To force you click the arrow to increase from 0 to 20 seconds, in 100ms interval, is stupid.

While the time format can not be changed, it is possible to type into the delay fields in MyHarmony!

Quote:

[*] Remove the requirement that a device must have an input. My HTPC is a source and it does not have any input, yet it forced me to create at least one input, otherwise the Next button is disabled. It just made me feel stupid to invent a non-existent input just to complete the setup.

Which HTPC did you add? Was it a direct match? You should be prompted with a 'Do not set the input' choice when asked what input a device uses. If you PM me the manufacturer and model number of your HTPC we can understand why this is happening.

Quote:

[*]I have a very particular setup that requires another power on command after the fixed power-on activity. But the power on command does not exist in the drop down list of the device! Yes, only the power command disappeared. Your programmers must be think why do you need a power command after the power-on sequence. But in my case, I do need it. So you forced me look like a fool to create another power-on command, by learning its own power-on command!

Is this second power on command identical to the first one? Are you trying to add this additional command through the 'Customize your Activity' feature? If so, I would suggest changing the device's power setting (Device / Settings / Power Settings / continue through the power feature until you reach the Power On commands section), which will allow you to configure the power on feature to send a second power on command, with a delay in between if necessary.

Quote:

[*] This one should be a bug: I need 22 seconds of power on delay. So after 20 seconds delay (which is the limit) I added another 2 seconds delay, so that the input switching is delayed 22 seconds. But if I do not put a dummy command after the second delay, it won't honor it.

I apologize, I'm not certain I understand this one. Why the need for a delay if only a dummy command is used at the end?
MyHarmony supports power on delays of up to 60 seconds.

Regards,

Sylvain

post #6 of 9 Old 12-19-2013, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Hi Sylvain,

I just purchased the Harmony Smart Control today and am having issues. --I'm sorry though, I'm not using a Bluetooth device but I'm posting here because I can't find an "Official" Harmon Smart Control Thread to post this question in. I'm hoping you don't mind answering my question (fingers crossed). So far I've set up my Yamaha AVR, Samsung TV & Blu-ray, and Roku using the app interface as I can't get into the MyHarmony website due to Silverlight issues--I've installed it 4 times in 2 browsers but am still getting the prompt to download it. This is a nightmare.

So when switching to the iPhone app, everything looks straightforward except that when I program the activities to watch the Blu[ray and watch the Roku and it goes through the testing process, before turning everything off to test, the app switches the input on the TV from HDMI/DV1 to TV so then when it tries to test either the watch Blu-ray or watch Roku activity, it turns the TV on and it's still stuck on the TV input. There is not way to fix this that I can see because I don't have access to a "Help" button to indicate what's going wrong. My only option is to "fix" the inputs. So I enter the inputs exactly as I've done 10 previous times, they are correct, then the app switches the input to the TV again.

I think the issue is that either it's remembering that it switched the TV to the "TV" input before turning everything off, or it's a power on delay issue. The manual says:  "

If your TV does not go to the right input when starting an Activity from an everything-off state, try increasing the power on delay for your television. This feature is accessible in your remote’s Settings menu and in your MyHarmony account. See the section Modifying device settings for more information." --I'm assuming that it's talking about increasing the power on delay in the Harmony, either the physical remote or the app, and not on the TV itself. The problem is that I'm stuck in this loop and can't get out to adjust anything.

This is more frustrating than you know. Can you help?

Thanks!

post #7 of 9 Old 12-19-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 282
You need to turn off anynet and HDMI control in all your devices, not in the software but in the devices themselves.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-19-2013, 03:44 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

You need to turn off anynet and HDMI control in all your devices, not in the software but in the devices themselves.

Thanks for responding mdavej. That's the first thing I did--sorry, I forgot to mention that in my initial post. I was finally able to get to a place where I could select "test later," which fixed the loop problem. I was able to successfully launch all activities from both the app and from the physical remote. But when I tried it again a few minutes later, both the "Watch Movie" [Samsung Blu-ray] and "Watch Roku" activities reverted back to TV video and Blu-ray audio, and there was no audio for the Roku activity. I reprogrammed these 2 activities AGAIN and they seem to be working again via both the app and the physical remote. So I'm just going to keep crossing my fingers for a while longer.

I have another question. I set up the "Listen to Music" activity on the AVR's "Net" input and I can then activate Airplay and stream anything from my computer or iDevice. Do I need to create 3 additional "Listen to Music" activities: one for actual Net radio, one for Pandora, and one for AM/FM radio? Or is there a way to add sublevels of control so that I can choose from all of these options when I select "Listen to Music"? One of my thoughts for setting them up as separate activities is that I wouldn't want the TV on when listening to AM/FM or Net radio, but might want it on when listening to Pandora, iTunes. I see information about further customizing activities in the PDF manual but it looks like I can only do this via the website which I cannot access due to the Silverlight loop issue that I mentioned above.

Thanks!

post #9 of 9 Old 12-20-2013, 08:46 AM

Liked: 10
Is there a hardware reason the Harmony Smart Bluetooth can't be used to emulate a keyboard on a PC? This would be handy for WMC users without having to spoof a PS3 remote.

My Smart Control wishlist...
1: Bluetooth or WiFi control of WMC7
2: Bluetooth or WiFi control of AppleTV 2/3
3: WiFi control of networked AVR.
4: WiFi sync when using myHarmony web
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech 915 000194 Harmony Smart Control

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page