URC MX-890: Buttons, battery life, + is there a better URC remote? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-04-2013, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I am thinking to buy an MX-890 for our Family room, which is 98% DVR/DirecTV watching and would get heavy use each day for surfing & skipping through commercials. I have an MX-*980* in another room and it's fine for the occasional use it gets there, but I wouldn't want one for our Family room. Compared to the stock DirecTv remote, the MX-980's Play/Pause/Fwd/Rew buttons are small, poorly placed relative to each other, indistinct & hard to find w/o looking at them, and put up more resistance to being pressed. Battery life between charges seems relatively short on the MX-980 too.

Could anyone offer some thoughts on how the buttons feel on the MX-890 for heavy DVR/DTV use, and how long it goes w/ frequent use before needing a new charge? I have no "in-reach" spot for a charging cradle so if battery life is short, what about an MX-780 that takes 4 AA's instead? (I imagine an MX-880 would be ruled out as having similar battery life to an MX-890).

Ready to pull the trigger as soon as I can get to the bottom of this smile.gif. Thanks much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-04-2013, 02:04 PM

Liked: 19
My MX-890 lasts about 3 days or so without needing a charge but it doesn't get used more than maybe 3-4 hours max per evening.

In terms of feel my Dish remote is easier to find buttons on but not by much. The MX-890 is pretty quick to get used to and nobody in the family has complained or had any issues using it with the DVR. I would say go with the MX-890 over the MX-780. I have and use both and if the 890 fits in your budget I'd recommend it over the 780 just because of the improved graphics and more advanced programming features. The battery life on the 780 is good too but the 4 AA batteries do add a significant amount of weight to the remote.
Speed Demon likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-04-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
The mx-890 is too much like the mx-980, if you hate the mx-980, you won't like the mx-890. I suggest getting the mx-780 as a second room remote. In fact I say this one:

x-7
post #4 of 7 Old 09-04-2013, 02:35 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post

The mx-890 is too much like the mx-980, if you hate the mx-980, you won't like the mx-890. I suggest getting the mx-780 as a second room remote. In fact I say this one:

x-7

If you don't think the MX-890 is a good fit, why would you recommend the MX-780 (aka X-7)? Both models have the exact same button layout.

The MX-980 on the other hand has a pretty different layout, especially where the transport buttons are concerned (skip, rew/fwd, stop, play, pause). I would say see if you can try out a MX-890 in person somewhere -- having used an MX-980 and then trying the transport controls on the MX-890 I think they are vastly improved.
Speed Demon likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-04-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Its the rechargable battery, some like it and others do not. The op has it already, give a non-rechargable a chance now. As for the bells and whistles the mx-890 has over the 780, he has that in spades with mx-980. The mx-780 and 890 button feel and sensitivity are the same as each other. Did you click on the x-7, can't bet that price, go with both the mx-780 & 890. smile.gif
Speed Demon likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-04-2013, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Someone here took advantage of my link, its been sitting there for two weeks with one watcher, me.
Speed Demon likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-04-2013, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Rehan & Edmund, thanks much for your comments and quick responses! Good info from you too in the "Official" thread which I read after having posted. (I had originally scanned that thread a while back re: the MX-1200 when I wasn't in the market for an 890/780, and then forgot to re-check it when I posted today).

Function is definitely more important than cost, I would have been happy to buy the 890 just for the nicer screen etc. But when I force myself to think about how it would actually be used, and how annoying it could get re: the remote quickly running out of charge and the recharge cradle not being conveniently located.. I think I have to give the 780 a shot. Especially with that link Edmund posted for a cheap open-box 780. Done! (Edmund, that was me who bought it).

That settled, time to start working on the CCP while I await delivery of the remote! smile.gif Thanks again.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Mx 890

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page