Current DirecTv receivers with integration capability? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-29-2013, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not really sure of the best place to post this since there dosen't seem to be a Satellite hardware forum.

I have a DirecTv H20-100 receiver. Some time ago I was able to find an engineering document that detailed the RS-232 protocol - over USB - for it, and thus was able to write a driver to integrate it into my control system. However, this box does not have a broadband interface so requires a POTS (analog) phone connection. I'm also running a VoIP phone system and analog-TA's don't really work with digital modems so this box, more often than not lately, won't let you use the remote to order because it hasn't been able to talk to DirecTv over the modem through the TA.

So, this brings me to upgrading the receiver so that it can talk to DirecTv, and also so it supports 1080p, but I'm concerned that I'm going to loose the integration that I've developed. So my question is, do the new receivers still support the same protocol available in the H20-100, or is there a new [documented] control protocol available in them?

Thanks to anyone that can give some insight on this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-29-2013, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Post this at dbstalk.com for better advice, but I'm fairly certain current models still work with RS-232. Most people are using IP control these days though. Converting your driver should be fairly straightforward if you need to go that route.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-30-2013, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have been using the RS-232 control of DirecTV receivers for several years using URC (CCP) products. I recently upgraded to the Genie system and found that the client boxes do not respond to RS-232 commands via the USB port where all the other boxes (including the main Genie DVR (HR-44) have been bullet proof. I had to use Standard HD boxes instead of the client boxes and everything worked without having to change or update any programming. I have heard Crestron programmers have had better luck.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-30-2013, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks all!

It looks like their next-gen path is REST web service with "SHEF" . Continued lack of functionality is a disappointment, but since its on par with what was supported before at least its not a step backwards. Even more disappointing to see that DVR functionality in the initial release has been deprecated already.

Time to buy an HR-44 and start experimenting. At least I'm confident that I can maintain existing functionality.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page