Buy the MX-850 remote at your own risk - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-02-2013, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have four mx-850 remotes in my home and every person I have done installs for has this remote.These remotes are not cheap.The remote alone is $329.00 new. Then your base station is $199.00.
I love these remotes, but no longer! Today I called the company because one of my remotes has the fast forward and play button not working when you push it. When you push any button you should see the icon in the upper right of the display pop up.When I explained what was happening to the tech. dept. they tell me I need to get a new remote at a special returned price of $279.00. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!! they don't even fix them!! I will never buy another remote from this company again.The company used to charge $125.00 for a remote exchange last year. That was a fair price. I'm sure any repair might cost that much.

This is now a throw away remote.

Vid53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-03-2013, 02:50 PM

Dude, first take a deep breath & relax for a minute. Then, try to take a step back and look at your situation from a different angle. I completely understand the frustration that comes when an expensive purchase craps out on you unexpectedly. However, I wouldn't throw in the towel with URC just yet . Some of the older URC models like the MX850 & MX900 occasionally have an issue where the most frequently used buttons will eventually wear out. When this happens, it's the result of normal wear and tear on moving parts (the buttons), similar to your tires wearing down every time you drive your car. Even the most expensive things you can buy typically have limited manufacturer warranties for a reason. Typically, you'll get 1yr. or less on most modern electronics, especially for items with moving parts.

URC offers their customers a 30% discounted replacement for out-of-waranty defective remotes (the 850 actually sells for $399 not $329), provided there's no signs of abuse and it was purchased from an authorized dealer. I CHALLENGE YOU TO NAME ONE MANUFACTURER OF ANY PRODUCT, ANYWHERE THAT OFFERS A DISCOUNTED REPLACEMENT ON A DEFECTIVE, OUT-OF-WARRANTY PRODUCT. I've seen numerous 850 & 900 owner's who are 6 or 7 years past their warranty, and every single one of them are very appreciative (and usually shocked) that a manufacturer would offer this. Most folks don't go remote shopping every few years like they would for a new computer or iPhone, so it's not like URC needs this program to retain a bunch of potential repeat customers. It seems to me that they're just trying to do the right thing for their customers, which seems increasingly rare these days.

Anyway, enough lecturing and I'll offer you some real advice. URC offers replacement button kits to their dealers for the MX900 and also allows them to do those repairs in-house. I don't know for sure, but I'd imagine dealers could also get 850 button kits since the repair is very similar. Call a local dealer and see if they can help you. Just understand that most URC dealers aren't retail establishments, so don't expect them to immediately pull away from the $50k project they're trying to finish to help a brand new customer that they stand to make very little money

The other thing you could do is keep an eye on eBay for a used or broken 850 and try the repair yourself. If it's just swapping the buttons, that's not very hard to do. But do know that if you break the remote in half while taking it apart, you'll likely lose any eligibility for URC's discount since that would fall in the "abuse" category.

I hope you'll consider giving URC another chance because when their remotes are programmed properly, they offer as good a value as anything else out there...and definitely don't expect another brand to offer any support after the warranty expires, much less a 30% discount on a replacement.

Good luck!
post #3 of 6 Old 10-03-2013, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
URC does not stock button replacements for the mx-850. For that reason, I was offered employee discount on any remote in the line up. Because on remote central I started thread asking for broken mx-850 parts. I was given this offer for my contributions in helping URC remote owners for the last 10 years. I took them up on their offer, went with mx-780, haven't used the broken mx-850s since.
post #4 of 6 Old 10-03-2013, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here is a $329.00 MX-850 not $399

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Remote-Control-MX-850-Aeros/dp/B0007N5XPW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380855310&sr=8-1&keywords=mx-850

Last year URC did an exchange offer for $125 on broken remotes and this year a whopping 30% discount at $279.00

Yea thanks URC for a great quality product!
post #5 of 6 Old 10-03-2013, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid53 View Post

Here is a $329.00 MX-850 not $399

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Remote-Control-MX-850-Aeros/dp/B0007N5XPW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380855310&sr=8-1&keywords=mx-850

Last year URC did an exchange offer for $125 on broken remotes and this year a whopping 30% discount at $279.00

Yea thanks URC for a great quality product!

If you look on that page, $399 is crossed out, but its still MSRP, even though the aftermarket seller(not amazon) is discounting it bit.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-03-2013, 10:07 PM

Liked: 20
If you're going to end up having to spend around $300, may as well upgrade.

Here's an awesome deal for the MX-890: http://www.ebay.com/itm/URC-MX-890-Universal-Remote-Control-/200970640225?pt=US_Remote_Controls&hash=item2ecac89b61

And it only costs $42 to add the 3 year SquareTrade warranty.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Universal Remote Control Mx 850 Ir Rf Aeros Remote Control , Universal Remote Mx 900 40 Device Ir Rf Pc Programmable Remote 418 Mhz

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page