Outdoor control? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-18-2013, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I apologize in advance if this isn't the right forum, but I can't quite figure out where to start...

I bought my Denon 4311 last year in part because I could have a full home theater in my basement and had another complete zone that I could use for setting up outdoors when I was ready. Well, its that time.

The problem is my requirements may have changed! smile.gif I now see the need/value in having three different sets of speakers outside. While they would be reasonable close to each other, there could be reasons to listen to music in the screen room, while I was cooking, or when sitting in the hot tub. That sounds a lot like three additional zones.

However, I can not really see a need for them to be playing different music. I am willing to not have independent volume control - simply on/off for each would suffice.

I was thinking about a switch, that supported remote control (with an app???? on my iPhone, iPad??) that would allow me to use my second zone, but choose which speakers were actually used.

I wondered about investing in the Sonos gear, but that seems like overkill and I would be compromising the sound quality of my 4311.

Ideas?

In my dream use case we'd be sitting outside, choosing music in a jukebox fashion adding songs to play while I was cooking having a beverage. Then, maybe we'd move to the eating area and move the music with us, by turning off one set of speakers and the second set on. Then, later to the hot tub, with the third set.

Of course, I'd want to be able to have all three sets on when more people are over.

Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2013, 07:37 PM

Everything that you are saying you want to do is easy to do and set up with sonos. It is pricey with the connect amps but you already have a amp (receiver) just connect all the speakers to the amp and get a sonos connect. (not the connect amp) As long as there is wifi in that area it will set up very easy. You will be able to use you iPhone or any smart phone with easy.

My advice Sonos all the way. It will be less then any other system
Old 10-30-2013, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Doh!

I don't know why I didn't see this type of solution. Basically, you're saying use the Connect as an input source to my Denon. I would just connect speakers to Denon.

The sound would flow: Network, Connect, Denon, speakers (wired).

Control would be: Turn on Denon, Set input to Connect. Use Sonos App.

Can I control volume through Sonos App?

What is the output of the Connect/Input to Denon? Digital?

I could then go to a switch (Aton?) as I need to expand.

Have I got that?

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2013, 05:26 PM

Kinda yes

I would do RCA or digital from connect to cd input on receiver then speaker wires form receiver to speakers

Connect/receiver/speakers.

Set the volume on the receiver to about 50 or 60 present. And then use sonos as volume and source.

Tags
Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a
Gear in this thread