Programming Comcast XR2 remote to control Yamaha RX-V457 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 10-20-2013, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Can anyone tell me the discrete power on and off codes for the Yamaha RX-V457? I am trying to program my Comcast. XR2 remote to control the receiver, but none of the shown codes works for power on/off (30176 will control volume, but not power). I have tried the codes posted on this site for the RX-V861 (00246 power on, 00248 power off, and 00250 to toggle), but none of them seems to work for the RX-V457.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-22-2013, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryg303 View Post

Can anyone tell me the discrete power on and off codes for the Yamaha RX-V457? I am trying to program my Comcast. XR2 remote to control the receiver, but none of the shown codes works for power on/off (30176 will control volume, but not power). I have tried the codes posted on this site for the RX-V861 (00246 power on, 00248 power off, and 00250 to toggle), but none of them seems to work for the RX-V457.

Based upon a quick check of your remote and receiver, I would try using the set up code 31176 to test on/off functions, or enter EFC codes for those commands. The EFCs you tried (246,248,250) are used under set up code 31176.

So, try using 31176, and test commands; if 31176 give you control over power, you can always enter that as an EFC command to "copy" the 31176 power command, then go back and use 30176 for the other commands.

It sounds like you know how to enter these commands, but just in case, below is a link for remote commands:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11675

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I bought all this "stuff" to enjoy it!
post #3 of 19 Old 10-22-2013, 09:11 PM

Liked: 29
Yamaha has published the available IR commands for the RX-Vx57 series, and there is no power toggle. But 00248 should turn Power On and 00246 should set Standby mode. The Power button on setup code 30176 sends 00250, which would be power toggle if the 457 supported it. Setup code 31176 may send Standby, although some remotes will instead send toggle using 31176.

So if the XR2 remote implements keymoves (994 command), you may be able to assign 00248 to some button to get a Power On capability. But the XR2 doesn't have a separate Audio device button, so we don't know how to do a keymove on a Audio setup code. In any case, the first thing to demonstrate is the existence of the 994 command. Try:
1) Press Setup until 2 blinks
2) Enter 994 Does the remote blink twice? If it does, then we may be able to figure out a way to do the keymoves, although it isn't obvious to me how to do it.
post #4 of 19 Old 10-23-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3FingeredGlove View Post

Yamaha has published the available IR commands for the RX-Vx57 series, and there is no power toggle. But 00248 should turn Power On and 00246 should set Standby mode. The Power button on setup code 30176 sends 00250, which would be power toggle if the 457 supported it. Setup code 31176 may send Standby, although some remotes will instead send toggle using 31176.

So if the XR2 remote implements keymoves (994 command), you may be able to assign 00248 to some button to get a Power On capability. But the XR2 doesn't have a separate Audio device button, so we don't know how to do a keymove on a Audio setup code. In any case, the first thing to demonstrate is the existence of the 994 command. Try:
1) Press Setup until 2 blinks
2) Enter 994 Does the remote blink twice? If it does, then we may be able to figure out a way to do the keymoves, although it isn't obvious to me how to do it.

Further research seems to show this all becomes a moot point, as something has to give in the power commands:

Why when I program my XR2 Remote to control an audio device can I no longer control my TV?

Check the bottom of the back of your remote to determine what version of the XR2 Remote you have. If you have version R1, this version of the remote can only be programmed to control one device – a TV or an audio device. If you program this version of the remote with an audio device code after you programmed the remote for your TV, you will only be able to control the power and volume of the audio device, and not of the TV.

If you have version R2 of the XR2 Remote, you can control both your TV and an audio device. However, once an audio device is programmed, you will only be able to control the power of your TV with the XR2 Remote; volume and mute functions will be controlled through the audio device. The audio device must be turned on in order to control the volume. If the audio device is turned off, you will not be able to control the volume with the XR2 Remote.

So, it seems that you can't win with this combination, as you also lose the ability to power on/off the STB once you add another device. Looks like you may need a better universal remote.

post #5 of 19 Old 10-23-2013, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I tried using 31176, but couldn't get it to control anything on the Yamaha receiver. After setting the 31176 code, I also tried using the power on and standby codes (246 and 248) but couldn't get them to work either. I tried testing them TAPping setup followed by 00246 or 00248. Was I doing that correctly?

post #6 of 19 Old 10-23-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I tried using 31176, but couldn't get it to control anything on the Yamaha receiver. After setting the 31176 code, I also tried using the power on and standby codes (246 and 248) but couldn't get them to work either. I tried testing them TAPping setup followed by 00246 or 00248. Was I doing that correctly?

Well first, you did test the codes using the correct manner (tapping SetUp, then entering code). But in the bigger picture it looks like this Xfinity remote will not control more than one power function; so this may be what the root cause of the issue is. If you have your TV entered into the set up, it may be "blocking out" the AVR power commands.

I would suggest looking into another universal remote. There are a lot of options depending upon what you'd like to spend.

post #7 of 19 Old 10-23-2013, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for the reply. At the risk of beating a dead horse, the version of the XR2 remote that I have is the R2, which is capable of controlling the power for both the TV and an audio device. I think if I can find EFC codes for power on and standby which work with setup code 30176 I can assign them using 994. I know some people have been able to do this with other Yamaha audio receivers.

The Logitech Harmony One works perfectly with my combination, but I was trying to avoid have to buy one. Thanks again.

post #8 of 19 Old 10-23-2013, 10:10 PM

jerry,
We don't know the characteristics of the XR2 remote, and tapping Setup followed by the EFC may work, or it may not. You didn't answer directly if the 994 command does give you two blinks just after entering 994. Does it? I'm also puzzled by the failure of 31176 to control any functions. Frankly that's unlikely to be correct. But if it is, then testing EFCs while 31176 has been assigned will certainly fail. I do notice that the Comcast page implies that you have to assign a TV setup code, then if desired an Audio code. Assigning a 3rd setup code will remove the programming for the first two devices (apparently), so it may be necessary to always assign both TV and Audio setup codes.

The RCA RCRP05B (about $15 at e.g. Walmart) does accept EFCs, and is easily programmed to control every function of your 457, and of course your TV and cable box also (except for pairing if the box has that feature).
post #9 of 19 Old 10-24-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:

Thanks again for the reply. At the risk of beating a dead horse, the version of the XR2 remote that I have is the R2, which is capable of controlling the power for both the TV and an audio device. I think if I can find EFC codes for power on and standby which work with setup code 30176 I can assign them using 994. I know some people have been able to do this with other Yamaha audio receivers.
The Logitech Harmony One works perfectly with my combination, but I was trying to avoid have to buy one. Thanks again.

I hate to suggest this option, but if you are determined enough to "beat this remote", what you can do is:

1) Use set up code 30176 with the R2 remote;
2) Go through EVERY possible code using the EFC test method (tap Set up, enter code, look for "two blink" acceptance). This means sending "test" codes starting at 00000 up to 00256. If you do not find the desired commands using this method, then something is amiss with the remote's set up code base.

I know this is a grueling way to find a code, but I have done it in the past to find an elusive command for an Xfinity remote. If you try this, I recommend writing down the code and function when you get responses.

Again, perhaps the easiest option is just the remote that 3FG suggested. As a note, 3FG is one of the top experts on these things, and I can say his advice is always spot on. It's amazing what he knows and can do in these cases. I know he has found elusive codes for me that I could not figure out how he got them!

post #10 of 19 Old 10-24-2013, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry I missed answering your question. Just pressing setup followed by 994 does not result in 2 green blinks. However, pressing setup until the ALL POWER light turns green, followed by 994 does result in 2 green blinks of the ALL POWER light (this is how setup codes for the TV and receiver are set). Does that change how I should enter the 00246 and 00248 codes? Thanks for your help.

post #11 of 19 Old 10-24-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Before we go that far, we need to determine if EFCs work at all on the X2. I'm not convinced that they do. That's why we need some feedback on what the remote is actually doing when the OP is testing these codes.

The codes we've posted are correct. So if they aren't working, then that tells me EFCs simply don't work on the X2.
post #12 of 19 Old 10-24-2013, 10:09 PM

jerry,
Since your remote blinked twice after entering 994, it seem likely that it does accept EFCs. However, it appears that only the volume/mute and power buttons send IR signals on the Audio setup codes. It also looks like the only buttons which will send an IR signal to the TV are also volume/mute and power. And there is no device mode button. So it is possible that EFCs are applied to the Cable setup code (presumably 01982 -- the XMP IR protocol] on all buttons except Vol/Mute, and for those buttons the EFCs might be applied to the TV setup code. Or not....

A. The first thing I would try is to clear an EFC assignment on one of the cable-specific buttons. Of course this shouldn't have any effect since no EFC has been assigned to the button, but it does allow us to check the blinking lights.
1) Press Setup until the LED turns from red to green
2) Enter 994 (make sure it blinks twice)
3) Press the digit 1
4) Press the digit 1 again
The remote should blink twice, to indicate success. Does it?

B. Now keymove the digit 2 to the digit 1
3) Press the digit 2
4) Press the digit 1
The remote should blink twice, to indicate success.
Pressing the 1 button should now actually send the signal for the digit 2 to the cable box. Does it?

C. If that worked, it implies that at least one class of keymoves worked. Next, assign the EFC 23237 to the digit 3
3) Tap Setup
4) Enter 23237 (this is the EFC for the digit 2)
5) Press the digit 3
The remote should blink twice, to indicate success.
Pressing the 3 button should now actually send the signal for the digit 2. If this works, then it shows that for at least the cable -specific buttons, EFC style keymoves work.

D. Next try sending the digit 2 by tapping setup and then entering 23237. If that works, great. Now we can try to see if this functionality can be applied to the Audio Setup code.

1) I don't expect tapping setup followed by a 5 digit EFC will work for Audio. I think it will send that EFC as it applies to the Cable setup code. In fact you will have probably shown that in the step D.
2) I expect that a 994 EFC style keymove will only be applied to the Audio setup code for the Vol/mute buttons. Otherwise the EFCs will be applied to the Cable setup code. If this surmise is correct, you should be able to temporarily assign 00246 and 00248 to the volume+/- buttons (after first making sure that the unmodified volume buttons control the 457 volume), which would demonstrate that the keymove procedure works, and that the 457 responds to these power commands.
3) If this whole chain of speculation and surmise is correct, then I think your recourse is to get a more flexible remote.

In any event, don't forget to clear any EFC assignments with procedure A. above.
post #13 of 19 Old 10-26-2013, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

3FG,

Here are the results:

A. Assigning 1 to 1 worked. I got 2 green blinks.

B. Assigning 2 to 1 didn't work. I got a red followed by a green.

C. Assigning 23237 to 3 worked. Pressing the 3 key resulted in a 2.

D. This didn't work. It just resulted in 23237 being sent.

Is there any chance that assigning 00246 to the power button (using 994) would result in powering on the AV receiver without interfering with its other functions (powering on the TV)? I found this in an earlier post from Kupakai in 2005:

1. Press and release AUX (or whatever device mode you have the Yamaha set to)
2. Press and hold SETUP
3. Type 9 9 4
4. Press and release SETUP
5. Type 0 0 2 4 8
6. Press and release POWER
The remote should blink twice.
That should set the POWER to power on. Since it seems like your Yamaha device does not have power toggle, you'll have to set another button to POWER OFF to another key. A good one is SHIFT-POWER. Follow the same procedure as above but use 00246 for step 5, press SETUP between step 5 and 6. Now power off is accessed by pressing and releasing SETUP and then pressing POWER.

The new Xfinity remote does not have an AUX button however (see step 1). It only has ALL Power and TV power. What do you think?

Jerry

post #14 of 19 Old 10-26-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Before we go that far, we need to determine if EFCs work at all on the X2. I'm not convinced that they do. That's why we need some feedback on what the remote is actually doing when the OP is testing these codes.

The codes we've posted are correct. So if they aren't working, then that tells me EFCs simply don't work on the X2.

I think mdavej's concern is real; that this X2 remote will not accept EFC commands. Other posts, on other forums, point to the same issue. It seems that you have done everything correctly so far, so again it points to the X2 remote.

post #15 of 19 Old 10-26-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 284
You missed his last test. EFCs do work after all (test C), but device assignment is very limited.
post #16 of 19 Old 10-26-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:

Is there any chance that assigning 00246 to the power button (using 994) would result in powering on the AV receiver without interfering with its other functions (powering on the TV)? I found this in an earlier post from Kupakai in 2005:
As you've noted, there is no way to perform step 1), so I don't expect the remote will know that an EFC which is assigned to the power button should be applied with respect to an Audio setup code. I wouldn't even expect it to be applied to the TV. But there is no real harm in trying, because you showed that A. worked. Step A. will remove the EFC assignment, and restore the existing Power button programming.
post #17 of 19 Old 10-28-2013, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

I gave it a try-no luck. I tried assigning 00246 to the All Power button and the TV Power button. I even tried assigning it to the 3 key. In each case the response was a red and a green blink. That surprised me because I was able to assign the EFC for 2 (23237) to the 3 key in the earlier test. Oh well.....

post #18 of 19 Old 10-28-2013, 12:36 PM

That just implies that the EFC assignment is being applied to the cable setup code. Your cable box uses the XMP IR protocol, and the UEI executor for it uses two bytes to describe the signal. Setup codes 30176/31176 are NEC1, and the UEI executor for those takes a single byte to describe the signal. The remote will interpret any EFC starting with 00 as being intended for a single byte executor, and so it won't accept 00246 because the cable setup code needs an EFC that describes two bytes.
post #19 of 19 Old 10-28-2013, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for the explanation. Not sure I got it all, but the bottom line appears to be that I'm not going to get the XR2 remote to control my AV power. For what it's worth, the remote and the cable box use both RF and IR signals if that makes any difference. Thanks again for all the help.

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Yamaha Rx V457 Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V861b Av Receiver 7 1 Channel
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page