Need advice, moving equipment to closed cabinet and need remotes to work - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-06-2013, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The kids want an additional fish tank for Xmas, to accommodate that i have to move some/all of my equipment into some closed shelves below their current location. Obviously i don't want to leave the cabinet door open all the time and need a solution such that our numerous factory remotes work. Here's what i've got

Denon AVR2112CI
Brand spanking new Direct TV DVR
Blu-Ray player that came with TV in a bundle package
Apple TV (Doesn't HAVE to move)
Comcast Modem (Won't move signal is terrible as is)

So from some brief research it seems something like Next Generation Remote Control Extender might work, with me just getting extra batteries for the various remotes.

Is their a "best" solution, that isn't expensive? Are their some reasons i shouldn't get one? Any advice is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-06-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 288
A universal RF remote to replace all your factory remotes would be cheaper than 5 Next Gen batteries. Even a cheap universal with one Next Gen battery would be better than 5. I like the $13 RCA RCRP05B plus one Next Gen or the URC RFS200 and no Next Gens. Harmony Smart/Ultimate/Touch with hub would be other good, but more expensive options.

One simple repeater like a Power-Mid would also be a good cheap option. You could continue using all your original remotes in that case and not need any transmitter batteries like you do with Next Gen. The only drawback is it still requires aiming at the receiver, whereas Next Gen doesn't.

In any case, with 5 devices, a universal would make life much easier.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-06-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 341
With 5 remotes you should be looking for a universal remote solution regardless...

I'd avoid the Powermid and similar products (they just don't work reliably in my experience as they get a lot of interference).

Either a universal with RF, a cheap one with the NextGen battery RF kit, or a simple wired IR repeater like the uber-cheap Monoprice kit:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011009&p_id=9895&seq=1&format=2

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #4 of 9 Old 11-06-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

I guess i'm hesitant to get a universal remote. 90% of the time i just use the DirectTV remote to control whatever it is that we are watching/listening to. 90% of the time the rest of the remotes are in a drawer. For one thing my wife finds one remote per item less confusing. I use my iphone for the Denon/apple TV/Direct TV(some functions). What i dislike about the Iphone is the lag between pressing a control button and the denon responding. But when listening to music outside it's great (minus the lag).

It seems like the monoprice wired repeater would solve my issue, for the least $, and the least "change".....
post #5 of 9 Old 11-06-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Realize that you can get an RF DirecTV remote, assuming you don't have one already. Use a repeater for everything else. The RCA works exactly like your DirecTV remote only better. It's made by the same company and even uses the same codes. But it adds learning, macros and control of all your other devices. At $13 it's a no-brainer, IMO.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-06-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

I believe during "remote setup" i had to choose between RF or IR for my new DirectTV remote. I guess tonight i can see what the setting is, maybe change it. Then i could lay a blanket over the DVR and see if it still works, correct?

Now if i have the RF remote, isn't it also sending out in IR? Reason i ask is because i have it set to control the Dennon volume. So it must be sending an IR signal to the receiver. Perhaps i will loose this functionality if i switch it to RF.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-06-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Right, the RF part only works with your DirecTV box. It still sends IR to everything else. You don't lose anything when you switch.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-06-2013, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

So you're sayin' there's a chance!

Seriously thou, if i get the Monoprice one, i can stick everything in the cabinet, use my current remotes, and all will be well for less than $20.

The only drawback is i have to aim the remotes at the eye, vs. some of the ones i read can be hidden behind your TV for example.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-08-2013, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

So i tested the DirectTV remote last night, works great on RF. Guess i'll just order the monoprice linked above, thanks ya'll.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page