Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Spent a few bucks on this equipment:

• Samsung 64" Plasma PN64E550
  • Pioneer VSX-60
  • Samsung Blu-Ray
  • Comcast DVR

Great equipment in my opinion, but now it's time for a UNIVERSAL REMOTE to make my life simpler.

FIRST ISSUE... I did experience some IR interference between my Plasma and Comcast box. I am told this is because big ole plasmas throw of some serious IR. This messed with my Comcast box, which I fixed by putting a post-it note over the eye on my Comcast box. MacGyver, I know, but it worked.

So, given my IR issues, I feel it would be best to go with RF for my universal remote system. Is this an accurate assumption?

SECOND ISSUE... I have the Samsung Smart Hub technology. I want to control my Netflix through this system. So that is a concern too.

Can anyone make a recommendation for a good, reliable universal remote that will serve my needs?

THANK YOU!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-07-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Your Comcast remote can probably be made to control everything, even in RF for minimal cost, as can other JP1 remotes like the RCA RCRP05BR ($13) plus Next Generation RF ($40).

If you want an inexpensive RF remote, check out the URC RFS200. If you have more to spend, Harmony's latest offerings the Ultimate and Smart Control are good options. If you have a lot more to spend, higher end URC, Crestron and RTI are also options.

IP control and smart phone / tablets are also good options if you don't mind touch screens (iRule, Roomie, etc.).

RF will only help with your interference issue if you place a blaster directly on the IR window of your DVR and not rely on the base itself.

I know nothing about Samsung Smart Hub, so I can't help you there. Suffice to say, if your Samsung remote is IR and does everything you need, then any universal remote can do everything as well.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-07-2013, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

RF will only help with your interference issue if you place a blaster directly on the IR window of your DVR and not rely on the base itself.

Can you elaborate on "blaster"? It is my understanding that IR = infrared. Need line of sight to operate. RF = radio frequency. Can travel through walls. Now, what is an IR blaster? RF blaster? For RF, do I need a blaster for each component? I see the Harmony's typically only come with two.

Thanks again.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-07-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

An RF remote sends RF signals to its base, which in turn converts these back to IR that your components can receive. Your components don't receive RF directly. The base blasts IR from itself and from any blasters you plug into it. As long as your components are line of sight with any of these, you're fine. Except for the case of your DVR which suffers from interference from your TV. That needs to be attached directly so it blocks everything else.

All these blasters are just little IR LEDs like your current remotes have. Their light needs to shine on all your components. If you can accomplish that with a couple of blasters and the base, then you'll have no problem. I know nothing about the physical arrangement of your components, so getting all the alignment right is up to you. In my own system, 3 blasters reach a dozen devices spread out a few feet on a couple of shelves because I have them in 3 groups. My Xsight/Nevo RF system came with 6 blasters. I think you can buy or build more blasters for Harmony if you need them. I'm guessing with only 4 devices, probably in close proximity with one another, a couple of blasters will suffice.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-08-2013, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help.

Went with the Harmony Touch. Got to play with it some last night. I think it will accomplish what I need it to.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-08-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMoltisanti View Post

Thanks for the help.

Went with the Harmony Touch. Got to play with it some last night. I think it will accomplish what I need it to.
Great. You do realize though, unless you bought a hub as well, it's not RF.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Samsung Pn64e550 64 Inch 3d Slim Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Elite Vsx 60 7 2 Channel Network Ready Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page