Samsung TV input select - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 11-22-2013, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been thinking about getting a universal remote for my bedroom setup (TV, Tivo, Bluray player), mostly because my wife wants one. The only thing that makes me hesitate is how the input select works on my TV (a Samsung of a model I don't remember, but my other Samsung works exactly the same way).

I have to:

1. Press the "Source" button.
2. Use the up/down or the wheel to select the input.
3. Press the "Enter" button to select the source.

Is there a way to program one of the universal remotes so that I can press 1 button to select the Tivo and another to select the Bluray player? If I can't do that, it's just not worth it for me.

As a follow-up, I saw a Logitech Harmony 700 for sale at Costco. Will that be able to do what I want?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-22-2013, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Yes, the Harmony 700 will be able to do exactly what you seek. It does take a little programming, and sometimes a little tweaking, but you do end up with one button "Activities". One button turns everything on, sets inputs, and can set audio, channel, etc. You can even switch bewteen Activities and everything changes correctly.

They may seem a bit expensive, but for the "user friendly" feature for the family, it quickly becomes well worth it!

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I bought all this "stuff" to enjoy it!
post #3 of 15 Old 11-22-2013, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Unless you are set on the 700 you should check out this deal for the 650 for $40.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1499284/black-friday-logitech-harmony-650-39-99

Check the Logitech site to compare models and find which one meets your needs.

post #4 of 15 Old 11-22-2013, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterappleby View Post

Unless you are set on the 700 you should check out this deal for the 650 for $40.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1499284/black-friday-logitech-harmony-650-39-99

Check the Logitech site to compare models and find which one meets your needs.
I'm not set on getting the 700, but I'm not willing to go out on Black Friday.
post #5 of 15 Old 11-22-2013, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

650 would suffice.  Unless you NEED rechargeable batteries and control for more than devices, That's a great deal for that remote.  Especially for a bedroom. 

post #6 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, so here's a very basic question that's confusing to me.

The TV's remote selects input by using a relative up/down movement system. How will the Harmony remote know how to get to the input that I want without knowing the starting state when the TV powers up?
post #7 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomnoise View Post

Okay, so here's a very basic question that's confusing to me.

The TV's remote selects input by using a relative up/down movement system. How will the Harmony remote know how to get to the input that I want without knowing the starting state when the TV powers up?
It keeps track of the last input it selected. On some other brands, discrete commands that go directly to a given input can be used, so no tracking is required. I don't think this is an option for Samsung.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 10:19 AM

It should go right to it. Few brands out there you need to hit input several times to toggle and others you have to hit source/input THEN go up,down. Like you mentioned. How old is the Samsung TV?
post #9 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I just looked at a common Samsung from 2012, and it has discrete input codes, so no tracking is needed. If you use input method 2, then it can go to any input with a single command. Generally the cheaper the TV, the more likely your macro will have to imitate what's done manually.
post #10 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISFGeek7 View Post

It should go right to it. Few brands out there you need to hit input several times to toggle and others you have to hit source/input THEN go up,down. Like you mentioned. How old is the Samsung TV?
This is going to sound funny, but the TV came with the house I bought last year. I would guess it's about 5 years old.
post #11 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

This is all academic since harmony handles both cases anyway, but I just checked a 5 year old Samsung, and it had discretes too.
post #12 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

This is all academic since harmony handles both cases anyway, but I just checked a 5 year old Samsung, and it had discretes too.
That is good news, but I'm baffled as to why the remote that came with the TV does not have discrete input select buttons.
post #13 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomnoise View Post

That is good news, but I'm baffled as to why the remote that came with the TV does not have discrete input select buttons.
They never do. Have you ever seen any TV remote with discrete input buttons? I haven't. Yet nearly every TV I've owned in the past 10 years has had discrete input codes, except the really cheap models.

My guess is it's simply not practical or cost effective to have a button for every function. My receiver, for example, responds to about 400 different discrete codes, yet the remote only has about 50 buttons. When you get into TV's, model X may have one less input than model Y, hence would need a unique remote. But if you just put a single input button on the remote, you can use the same one across all models, saving money on design, documentation and manufacturing.
post #14 of 15 Old 11-26-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

They never do. Have you ever seen any TV remote with discrete input buttons? I haven't. Yet nearly every TV I've owned in the past 10 years has had discrete input codes, except the really cheap models.

My guess is it's simply not practical or cost effective to have a button for every function. My receiver, for example, responds to about 400 different discrete codes, yet the remote only has about 50 buttons. When you get into TV's, model X may have one less input than model Y, hence would need a unique remote. But if you just put a single input button on the remote, you can use the same one across all models, saving money on design, documentation and manufacturing.

This is true.  That's how many TVs can automatically change inputs according to the program written.  So for example (bear with me).. your Watch TV activity is set to input 2 and your Watch BD activity is set to input 5.  Lets say you select the Watch TV activity at night before bed.  Then, without changing activities, you turn off the system using the Harmony.  When you get up in the AM, you select Watch BD. The TV was shut OFF in the input 2 (TV).  But the TV has discrete "knowledge" to change over several inputs ,when turned on, to the input 5 (BD) without having to hit an up arrow or toggle the input button to skip over the other inputs in between 2 and 5. 

Lots of jargon, but actually simple when you think about it. End result= the Harmony sounds like it'd would fine for your config.

post #15 of 15 Old 11-27-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

That's not quite how it works. A discrete (separate, distinct) command isn't a program or macro and doesn't have any memory whatsoever. It's just a command that does the same thing every time, immediately, no matter what the current state of the device is. "Input", for example, isn't discrete. Each press of Input does something different. "InputHDMI2", on the other hand, is discrete. No matter what input the TV is currently on, if you send the InputHDMI2 command, it will immediately go to HDMI2, every time. If the device is already on HDMI2, the command will have no effect. There's no skipping or sending of multiple commands or remembering what the last input was.

What you described is sort of how TVs WITHOUT discrete commands work. If your activity needs to go to input 2, but you were last on input 5, the remote does indeed remember that it needs to start from 5 and send the appropriate number of arrow commands or input commands to arrive back at 2. It must mimic what you would do manually because "discrete" commands that go directly to the desired input don't exist for some devices.

This ability to remember which devices are on or off and which inputs they're on is what I call state tracking. If discrete commands are available, state tracking isn't needed. I try to use discretes whenever possible because state tracking isn't totally reliable. If you ever use a different remote or the buttons on the actually device to change inputs or turn it on and off, you get out of sync with Harmony's state tracking. So the next time you use your Harmony, it will select the wrong inputs or turn devices off that you intended to be on. The same thing happens with HDMI-CEC. In that case devices change inputs and power state on their own depending on how their connected, also throwing off Harmony's tracking. Discrete commands, however, don't rely on any tracking and do the same thing ever time. You can send a power off discrete command ten times in a row, and it will always only turn the device off, never back on, as a power toggle command (not discrete) would.

AFAIK, Harmony's automatic state tracking is a unique feature. I don't use Harmony remotes, so if I need state tracking, I have to program all the logic and saving of states myself. This is why I use discretes instead whenever possible. It's not a big deal to do your own state tracking, but your programming is simpler and more reliable without it.

In the OP's case, his TV most likely has discrete power and input commands available, so none of this tracking stuff comes into play. Even if his TV has no discrete commands, then tracking would come into play and work in most case, with the exceptions noted above.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech Harmony 700 Rechargeable Remote With Color Screen

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page