Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Hello,

I liked many things about the Harmony one -
Easy to configure through the web
Docking station for charging
Let me set priority for turning things on and off
Good layout for all the keys I use most often which were physical keys.
Fits in 1 hand.

I didn't like the fact they keys such as volume and channel rockers tended to wear out.

The new Harmony remotes only have some of the keys as physical and they are in the wrong place - above the screen, no channel numbers etc.

I was curious if anyone else is looking for a new brand but having a hard time finding something with the goods of the Logitech but with better equipment.

The TRC-1080 looks like it MIGHT fit my needs but it isn't available yet and I don't know about the quality of their products - http://www.universalremote.com/product_details.php?id=105&s=residential&c=user_interfaces&p=TRC-1080
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 11-30-2013, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I love my One. The tilt sensor is acting up on mine now. Best Buy is selling the 650 for $39 right now so I bought one as a backup. Not as full featured, but the hard button layout is great. I found a company in New York that does repairs on the One, going to get my sensor updated/replaced.
post #3 of 29 Old 11-30-2013, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Unfortunately, I think the days of quality, hard button universal remotes for the masses are long gone. Touch devices, such as cell phones and tablets, plus voice recognition in newer TVs, are the way of the future. That being said, Logitech replaced my One with a Touch and it isn't bad. The touch is used for our bedroom setup. I use an iPad Mini with Roomie for my primary theater remote now.
post #4 of 29 Old 12-02-2013, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Unh - touchscreen for a remote? I'll want one of these when I move to a light display keyboard on my desk.
post #5 of 29 Old 12-03-2013, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I switched from my much beloved Harmony One to a Harmony Ultimate...so far so good.
post #6 of 29 Old 12-24-2013, 02:03 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

I liked many things about the Harmony one -
Easy to configure through the web
Docking station for charging
Let me set priority for turning things on and off
Good layout for all the keys I use most often which were physical keys.
Fits in 1 hand.

I didn't like the fact they keys such as volume and channel rockers tended to wear out.

The new Harmony remotes only have some of the keys as physical and they are in the wrong place - above the screen, no channel numbers etc.

I totally agree with you. I don't understand why Logitech re-positioned the buttons this way. I use my Harmony One mainly with my DirectTv DVR so I use the directional pad (for guide navigation and recorded program selection) and playback operation buttons (play, pause, skip, etc.) 80 to 90% of the time. I'd continue using my Harmony One forever but it's starting to show it's age. The battery isn't holding a charge as long as it used to and some of the over used buttons are no longer responding.

Rather than putting the money in to a new battery and/or repairs, I'm also looking for a replacement and wanted to check to see if you found one. The Logitech Harmony 650, Acoustic Research ARRX12G and the URC R40 seem like good contenders but I was wondering if you found a better solution?
post #7 of 29 Old 01-02-2014, 08:09 AM

I have several Harmony Ones in my house that replaced 880s that replaced 659s...

I bought the Harmony SmartControl unit which comes with a basic remote and lets you use your iPad, iPhone, etc to control the remote. Now I agree that touchscreen remotes have some drawbacks but you can use gestures with your phone/tablet that remove the issue of having to look at the remote. Swipe to the right for SkipFwd which I use all the time with my PVR. Tap to pause, double tap to unpause. Swipe up to increase vol, swipe up and hold to increase vol a lot. Swipe down to reduce vol, etc. It works quite well.

The Harmony Ultimate is on sale for a good price so I think I will try that, even with the poor positioning of the transport controls. I believe you can also use Gestures on the Touch screen itself.

You can also assign sequences, which are kind of like macros, to custom buttons. For example, I use SageTV as my PVR and I have SageTV extenders at all of my TVs. I have a special section called Kids' Shows. To get to the Kids' Shows from the Main Menu you select Right, Right, Down, Enter. I have that all programmed into a custom button to make it easier for the Kids.

There are a few things missing from the Ultimate/SmartControl line that would make it better. Namely IP control, customizable icons for Activities and fully customizable button/gesture area layouts on the iPad and iPhone.
post #8 of 29 Old 01-03-2014, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

I just bought a Harmony Smart Control for my dedicated theater, not replacing any universal remote, just the individual component remotes. I've had a One for several years now in the living room and have not experienced any problems at all. Battery still holds long charges and I don't plan on getting rid of that one any time soon. The Smart Control is a different, but related beast. Similar button layout as the One, and a great remote by itself. The real power of that setup is the ability to use my iPhone as a controller anywhere in the house. Set up of the app was not intuitive, but once done it works flawlessly. $100 for an RF system is pretty good and I've very happy. If/when I do need to replace the One, I think something like the Smart Control is where I'll be looking.

Something profound

post #9 of 29 Old 01-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I like the URC MX-450. The button layout is pretty friendly and you wont need any special software to program it. It can also become an RF remote by adding a base-station. The programming requires a bit of a learning curve but once you understand how it works you'll love it. You get many more options than you would with a Harmony.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

I prefer this because I hate touch-screens.

post #10 of 29 Old 02-08-2014, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick Murphy View Post

I like the URC MX-450. The button layout is pretty friendly and you wont need any special software to program it. It can also become an RF remote by adding a base-station. The programming requires a bit of a learning curve but once you understand how it works you'll love it. You get many more options than you would with a Harmony.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

I prefer this because I hate touch-screens.

Does it come with many preprogrammed functions like the Harmony One? I like that fact that most things I own are available with the software modification on the computer.
post #11 of 29 Old 02-08-2014, 09:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:

Does it come with many preprogrammed functions like the Harmony One? I like that fact that most things I own are available with the software modification on the computer.
The One has no preprogrammed functions at all. It can't do anything when you take it out of the box. Some would consider no dependence on the web to be an advantage. When Logitech's servers are down, your One cannot be programmed at all.
post #12 of 29 Old 02-08-2014, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

The One has no preprogrammed functions at all. It can't do anything when you take it out of the box. Some would consider no dependence on the web to be an advantage. When Logitech's servers are down, your One cannot be programmed at all.

OK - let me put this differently, let's say the my TV brand and model comes out after URC MX-450 was released. How does it get new codes for it? Do I have to have it learn each button or is there a firmware update for the remote so it knows the codes of new equipment.
post #13 of 29 Old 02-08-2014, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

OK - let me put this differently, let's say the my TV brand and model comes out after URC MX-450 was released. How does it get new codes for it? Do I have to have it learn each button or is there a firmware update for the remote so it knows the codes of new equipment.

There is mx-450 archiver software available, it allows you to back up your programming to your computer, and upgrade the IR library. But you can't use the computer to program the remote, that is all done on the remote itself.
boe likes this.
post #14 of 29 Old 02-08-2014, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post

There is mx-450 archiver software available, it allows you to back up your programming to your computer, and upgrade the IR library. But you can't use the computer to program the remote, that is all done on the remote itself.

Thanks for clarifying.
post #15 of 29 Old 02-09-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, new devices would have to be learned. But it is rare for new devices to use a completely new set of codes. The prior model's codes usually work fine with the exception of a couple of new commands.
post #16 of 29 Old 02-10-2014, 11:47 AM

To hijack this thread slightly... same question as the opening... what remote should I get?

I will have a tablet that we will use apps for as a remote and both my wide and my Samsung S4 phones. However, I want a remote that we can use as well if any guests come over (in-laws) that they can use that will turn on the receiver on the right settings and right source for the TV without me giving everyone a tutorial of it first. 

I am starting to lean toward the Harmony Ultimate, but it is very pricey and I have a hard time justifying that much for a remote.

post #17 of 29 Old 02-10-2014, 01:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That's called a macro, and nearly any universal remote can do it, from the cable remote you may already have, to a $15 remote from Walmart, to a $2500 RTI. If that's your only requirement, you have tons of inexpensive options. Heck, if you simply enable HDMI-CEC, all the power and input selection happens automatically, assuming all you devices support it.
post #18 of 29 Old 02-10-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

That's called a macro, and nearly any universal remote can do it, from the cable remote you may already have, to a $15 remote from Walmart, to a $2500 RTI. If that's your only requirement, you have tons of inexpensive options. Heck, if you simply enable HDMI-CEC, all the power and input selection happens automatically, assuming all you devices support it.

Sorry... I would need it be RF as well.  

post #19 of 29 Old 02-10-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epitome1170 View Post

Sorry... I would need it be RF as well.  
This is the Harmony One Replacement thread. The One was not RF.

In any case, just add a $35 Next Generation RF system to the cheap remote of your choice. If you need anything more, like addressable outputs, then you're going to have to spend more money. Harmony Smart Control is probably the cheapest RF remote with addressable outputs, but no Harmony remote works well with other remotes, so I wouldn't recommend it. Other alternatives have already been discussed earlier in the thread.
post #20 of 29 Old 02-15-2014, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If your Equipment is in Line of Sight the One is perfectly good, although an aged design. You have to keep the Remote pointed until the Activity is complete. If you own a PS3 the you need a $60 Adapter.
The Smart is todays remote. Compact and does everything needed. It even has bluetooth capabilities thus saving added expense. Disadvantages are no devices on the hand held remote. For $89.99 its almost perfect.smile.gif
Now I await the barrage from the loyal but old One users.biggrin.gif
post #21 of 29 Old 02-17-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

A $12 PS3 adapter like the Nyko bluwave or free HDMI control also works. The Nyko just won't do power.

[barrage]The Smart was intended to be use in conjunction with a smart phone. It lacks a local display for additional commands, activities and devices like the One has. If you are satisfied with a Smart alone, then you'll also be satisfied with a $10 universal remote from Walmart, which is what I use in most rooms.[/barrage]

Bottom line is Logitech doesn't make a direct replacement for the One. For the same functionality, you'll have to look elsewhere (URC, One-for-all, etc.).
post #22 of 29 Old 02-17-2014, 10:13 AM

My 900 is very nearly a replacement for the One (albeit a RF, no sequences which I only use at start up and a slight lag which I solved by assigning different mini blasters to varying devices). It can also be adjusted to use only as an IR rmote for users who have a masochistic love for pointing their remote for 20 seconds:D. It also has the red, blue, green and yellow "extra" buttons which can be programmed for other uses.
At $100 BNIB it was worth the purchase.
My 700, if you have only 7 devices, is probably the best bang for the buck IR replacement for the One. I love it at $39.99 from Costco.
post #23 of 29 Old 02-17-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Both the 900 and 700 were discontinued just like the One. Not only that, the 900 can't do sequences like the One. If you include all obsolete remotes, you have lots of options. If you're going to get an old remote, may as well get another One.
post #24 of 29 Old 02-19-2014, 08:25 AM

I agree, but I'd rather have the versatility of RF rather than an IR only, since I don't do sequences. My equipment is under the TV and the center table makes it hit or miss for an IR only remote. The 650 is still be marketed instead of the 700 which does 7 Devices. Why I don't know unless Logitech is trying to sell their more expensive Smart model. The 700 was a good price, is exactly the same as the 650 and does 2 more devices. The rechargeable cord in the 700 is useless since I use rechargeable batteries.

Besides the Smart and Ultimate all the other models are ancient, but still good. I like the Smart because of the price but I don't like my remote controlled by Wifi. I'm having too many sync problems.
post #25 of 29 Old 02-19-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Agreed. But the thread is about replacing a One, which isn't RF. I like RF too, which is why I've never owned a One. To keep going even further back in history, my favorite bang for the buck Harmony was the 360. I still have several of them. As for RF remotes, my Xsight Touch runs circles around the 900. My 700's went on the auction block a long time ago. Only recently has myharmony made the 600/650/700 fully functional.
post #26 of 29 Old 03-04-2014, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

While the new Harmony keyboard is nifty, I'm disappointed they put such a niche market ahead of a larger market for a Harmony One successor. Who knows, some day I might want that keyboard but RIGHT NOW I want a replacement for my old Harmony One(s).
post #27 of 29 Old 03-05-2014, 05:45 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

While the new Harmony keyboard is nifty, I'm disappointed they put such a niche market ahead of a larger market for a Harmony One successor. Who knows, some day I might want that keyboard but RIGHT NOW I want a replacement for my old Harmony One(s).

Couldn't agree more. The problem is that Logitech isn't listening to One owners. Case in point...Ultimate One!!
post #28 of 29 Old 03-05-2014, 05:50 AM

Liked: 11

So I broke the screen on my Harmony One awhile back and never bothered with a new universal remote till I got my basement completed.

I currently have a Harmony Ultimate in the basement theater and I works really well.  I have to get use to the button layout since I go use to the Roku remote to navigate the screen.

I have not had an issue with the Ultimate remote yet.  I was able to run a 50' stereo cable to the front where the projector screen was located. I used a splitter to connect 2 mini blasters to control the screen and projector.  I have one mini blaster mounted by the projector IR port and one mini blaster mounted to the ceiling about 4 ft from the projector.

I just picked up a 2 more mini blasters.  Hopefully it will also control the electric fireplace we are getting.

post #29 of 29 Old 08-02-2014, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

I guess at this point I wish Logitech would sell off the remote division. Hopefully whoever buys it will bring back an improved version of the one as the ultimate isn't that ultimate.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech Harmony One Advanced Universal Remote

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page