Why can I not find any new Blu Ray players in the IR database for my URC MX880? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-02-2013, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

A little side info here...I used to work at a home/car audio and video showroom that went out of business years ago.  During that time, I learned to do basic programming on remotes (definitely not to the extent that most of you can do), but enough for it to work how I want it to work.  I have the URC Complete Control Program installed on my computer and the live update was completed last week and is up to date. 

My DVD player recently took a dump and am looking to get a Blu Ray player to replace it.  My dilemma is that I do not see any Blu Ray players listed in the IR database.  Is my only option to learn the manufacturers remote into my MX880?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-02-2013, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
They are all under DVD.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-02-2013, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Look at the prefix in the model #'s.
post #4 of 13 Old 12-02-2013, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

I looked under DVD. I don't see any of the model #'s that I see in stores in the database.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-02-2013, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Can you give us an example of the ones your looking at/for? I had no problem finding either of mine.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-02-2013, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Each maker uses the same codes across all models. So if you don't find an exact match, just pick an older model, for example a Sony 570 instead of the newer 5100, same exact codes used by both.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-02-2013, 09:31 PM

Also, keep in mind URC does not list every single model. Manufactures don't change their IR codes very often so you just need to pick something close.

That being said, if you give us some examples I am sure we can find the codes for you.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-05-2013, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't really have a model in mind that I know I am going to purchase. It would likely be one of the following:

Samsung: BD-F5100 or BD-F5900

or

Sony: BDP-S5100 or BDP-S3100

I am not looking to break the bank on this one. My Yamaha DVD player is intermittently not reading DVD's and the wife doesn't know how to use the PS3 to play movies for the little ones. Just looking for something simple that can be programed back onto the remote so it would work like it does now w/ the Yamaha.

Here is the screenshot of the models that it lists for both brands:

post #9 of 13 Old 12-05-2013, 04:35 PM

Liked: 87
You could try a Schmartz box for the PS3. You can then use the PS3 for Blu-Ray (and games) through the URC remote. The Schmartz box is in the CCP database and you can then have "play", "skip forward" and all of the usual Blu-Ray buttons.

http://www.schmartz.com/products/ps3ir-1000
post #10 of 13 Old 12-05-2013, 04:43 PM

Try DVD:368 for the Sony and DVD:352 for the Samsung.

I am not sure about the Sony but I am fairly sure that the Samsung players do not have discrete power codes so be careful with that if it matters to you. I usually get the LG BD players because most of them have discrete codes and they are relatively inexpensive.
post #11 of 13 Old 12-05-2013, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

You could try a Schmartz box for the PS3. You can then use the PS3 for Blu-Ray (and games) through the URC remote. The Schmartz box is in the CCP database and you can then have "play", "skip forward" and all of the usual Blu-Ray buttons.

http://www.schmartz.com/products/ps3ir-1000

Wow...I am not going to lie, that is pretty bad ass.  I didn't even know something like that existed.  I will definitely look into getting one of those.  But I would still like to have a separate DVD/Bluray player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post

Try DVD:368 for the Sony and DVD:352 for the Samsung.

I am not sure about the Sony but I am fairly sure that the Samsung players do not have discrete power codes so be careful with that if it matters to you. I usually get the LG BD players because most of them have discrete codes and they are relatively inexpensive.

I am not real familiar w/ the LG's.  I know the guys I worked with always bashed them because of their build quality and durability (but then again that was 5-6 years ago, and I do not have any first hand knowledge about them).  I was a mobile audio expert and the only time they would really let us guys over to the home AV side was when something needed to be installed, LOL.

I definitely would like to have something with discrete power codes...how would you rate the quality (build quality) compared to a Sony or Samsung?

post #12 of 13 Old 12-05-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 313
All Sony BD players use the same codes. All Samsung BD players use the same codes. Just pick the highest model number you see.

Sony has discrete codes. Samsung doesn't. But there is a workaround. Play will act like discrete on, and Play followed by Power will act like discrete off.

You can also control the PS3 with your remote for free if you use Bravia-Sync (HDMI CEC).
post #13 of 13 Old 01-15-2014, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot all about this thread. I wanted to thank everyone who posted info and helped out. I ended up getting a Sony and it works like a champ.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Urc Mx 880 48 Device Ir Rf Remote With Color Lcd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page