Forum Jump: 

Old 12-03-2013, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I'm looking for a good RF remote for my dedicated theater and I still have a few of the old URC-9910 RF remotes sitting here with IR eyes, etc. I never got into the JP1 part of those remotes but I am assuming that I could get it updated to control all of my components at least on a basic level. If anyone here has experience with updating with the JP1, please chime in.

I also have (for 3-4 years) a Harmony One that absolutely rocks for my IR-only needs in the living room. I love that remote and its abilities to track functions, ease of programming, etc. Therefore I'm interested in the Harmony line for the theater needs. If I could get an Ultimate for less that $200 I would just do that, but starting at $250 is a hard pill to swallow (but maybe only because I'm underestimating how good it really is). So I was intrigued at my finding of the Smart Control package that includes the app to turn my iPhone and tablet into the remote, along with the basic RF remote. For $100 that seems like a good choice, but I haven't read much about it beyond some people like the basic remote, some people like the app, and everyone hates the button battery running the basic remote. And what about the 900 - is it still viable?

So really my question is, is the Smart Control worth my while or should I play with the JP1 remote? And maybe the corollary question is, am I crazy for even considering one versus the other when the choice is obvious?

Something profound

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 430
JP1 is still an incredible value and does a lot that Harmony can't do. I personally like JP1 software a lot more than Harmony. I've used many different remotes over the years and always end up back with JP1 because there are no programming limitations and the hardware is very inexpensive.

One-for-all (JP1) also has an iPhone solution like Harmony, but it isn't available in the US yet.

If you want an iPhone remote today, you should also consider iRule. I have zero desire to use my phone or tablet as a remote, but it seems to be a popular thing these days.

On the other hand, Smart is fairly cheap and super easy to program and does some limited Bluetooth control. Harmony also does state tracking automatically, whereas you'd have to program that yourself with JP1. I personally never have a need for state tracking. It just depends on your devices.

Visit hifi-remote.com if you want any more JP1 advice. And if you decide to sell those 9910's please PM me.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks, Dave. I tried to get interested in the JP1 stuff many years ago, but then two kids, then a third came along and I never had the time. I know they have incredible capabilities, but I could never convince myself to take the plunge. And when the Harmony One came out, I knew that's what I needed to make it work easily for the wife and kids with no complaints (or very few at least).

I think I still have the JP1 cable and a desktop that I can connect it to (serial connection I think) so I could try it. Anyone have any ideas about the reliability of the RF from each of these? From what I gather, the newest Harmony models have very reliable RF.

While I'm asking things related to RF, etc, how good are the repeaters for each of these? Most of my equipment is in a closet, but my projector is about 20' behind and 10' higher that the rest of the equipment, so I would need to position a repeater outside the closet pointed toward the back of the room. Any problems with that set up?

Thanks again.

Something profound

Old 12-03-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoob5555 View Post

Thanks, Dave. I tried to get interested in the JP1 stuff many years ago, but then two kids, then a third came along and I never had the time. I know they have incredible capabilities, but I could never convince myself to take the plunge. And when the Harmony One came out, I knew that's what I needed to make it work easily for the wife and kids with no complaints (or very few at least).

I think I still have the JP1 cable and a desktop that I can connect it to (serial connection I think) so I could try it. Anyone have any ideas about the reliability of the RF from each of these? From what I gather, the newest Harmony models have very reliable RF.

While I'm asking things related to RF, etc, how good are the repeaters for each of these? Most of my equipment is in a closet, but my projector is about 20' behind and 10' higher that the rest of the equipment, so I would need to position a repeater outside the closet pointed toward the back of the room. Any problems with that set up?

Thanks again.
Others will have to address the range on the Harmony Hub. But I think your plan for one repeater aimed toward the back sounds fine.

Your JP1 cable is probably obsolete now. It's actually parallel, not serial. So I doubt your current PC has a parallel port. Adding a parallel interface would be more expensive than a new cable. If you get a cable, I recommend you buy or build a JP1.3 cable ($8 shipped on ebay, links on hifi-remote.com) plus a JP1 EEPROM adapter (available from DIYGadget and a few others). Unlike Harmony, there is a learning curve to the software. So if you want plug and play, you should stick with Harmony.

I've been messing with JP1 since the beginning (13 years now, I guess). As far as the wife and kids are concerned, it works the same as Harmony, i.e., they press the TV button to watch TV, or the DVD button to watch a movie, etc. It can get confusing when you start adding a lot of functions since most JP1 remotes have no display (neither does the Smart Control). You can technically assign 5 functions to each button per device mode if you want. So it can get unwieldy if you're not careful.

If you're willing to consider a newer JP1 remote with a display and RF, that would be the Xsight Touch (18G). They're only on ebay these days. But it looks and works essentially the same as your One, only you can use JP1 software if you want. There's also a web interface like Harmony has. It doesn't need a JP1 cable, just the USB cable that comes with it. But the RF range on my 18G isn't that great, maybe 30 ft.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks to some Christmas money, I took the plunge and bought the Harmony Smart Control unit for this application. Thanks Grandma!

Set up of the Smart Control hub and app is not well explained in the thin instructions, but once I got the hub connected to my network, everything else went quickly and very simply. I'm amazed at how far these things have come - Logitech took the right path in simplifying everything and now our whole family benefits from the ease of use of the One upstairs and the Smart Control downstairs. Due to its wireless connectivity, the set up of the Smart Control is even easier than the One and much quicker. I had my whole system under control within 5 minutes after getting the hub on the network.

The included IR blaster works perfectly for controlling my projector behind the rear wall and the hub blaster controls everything in my closed equipment closet. I just ordered another IR blaster to control the kids' gaming/play system in the next room so I'll be excited to see if that will work as well.

I wish I was still as ambitious as I once was to try to play with the JP1 remotes I already have, but I've moved on. The two complete JP1 remotes I have (URC-9910 OFA and URC-9811 HTPro) with hubs and IR blasters are now up for sale. Dave gets first dibs.

Something profound

Tags
Logitech 915 000194 Harmony Smart Control , Irule