Quick Irule review, with a few pics, for those thinking about it..... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-03-2013, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 200
About a month ago I was going to buy a Logitech harmony, on craigslist to replace my older Phillips pronto tsu7500. I asked the seller why he was selling it and he said because he had gone to Irule. I had never heard of Irule, so i goggled it and started doing some research. A week later, I read enough good things about it, and the support team, and made my initial purchase. I purchased the pro license, an rs232 gateway to control my pioneer avr, and a wifi gateway for the rest of my system, including an Epson 5020 to be controlled via IR blaster.

Once the hardware arrived, I was like a kid on xmas. I began setting up immediately. I hit a few snags along the way, that were my fault....rushing and not thinking things through for example. The times, I truly was stuck though, I contacted the Irule team, and they were exceptional, especially Alex and Matt. I was even surprised when I tried over the weekend and Alex and Matt both called me back......that is SERVICE!

I setup everything with an android tablet ( asus t101 transformer ) originally. It worked great, but there are a few features missing from the android OS that are currently present on IOS at this time, like "button states" for example ( where the button changes it's physical appearance when pushed, so that you can visually register that the command was made ). I used the android with out issue, but sold it just last week, since the wife bought me the apple air for an early xmas present. If your considering using an android tablet, just make sure your aware that there are some functions that at this time arent supported. Fwiw, The Irule team has told me they are working on releasing an update that will equalize the 2 platforms.

Irule runs beautifully on the new Ipad, and with the retina ( 2048 x 1536 ) resolution...it just looks plain sexy.

At this point and i have spent about 300 on the license and the hardware, and I couldn't be more pleased. The best and most accurate advice i could give someone thinking about Irule, is that it's awesome once it's all setup, and bugs are worked out of your configuration ( meaning it's working at 100% ). There is a learning curve to it though, so if it's vital to have a remote working 5 minutes after you buy it, consider that. If you have got some basic networking knowledge, and if you ever used a remote in the past where you design the interface ( like the Phillips Pronto line for example ), this knowledge will serve you well.

If your not very tech savvy, understand that you will definitely be investing some time getting it all setup. But again though dont be afraid to take the plunge as long as you have some patience..... since their support is first rate!

Also, thx to AVS for providing another excellent place to discuss Irule and learn about it. The 300 page, monster thread here, was great during my research period.

Here a few pics of my setup running on the Ipad air, along with a few pics of my setup. I hope this review helps some of your who are on the fence about Irule. If there are any questions I'd be glad to answer and help out of course.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-04-2013, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Set up looks great (both the irule and your theater).

Congrats!biggrin.gif

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #3 of 12 Old 12-04-2013, 07:29 AM

Liked: 10
I like the shelf/mount that the projector is on. Can you tell me where you got it?

Thanks.
post #4 of 12 Old 12-04-2013, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

dan, thx.....we definately enjoy the setup on movie nights. Our friends love it as well. I recently installed tactile tranducers ( aura models from partsexpress ) in each section of the couch, and that has added a whole new awesome element to movie watching.

fornold, the shelf was purchased at amazon....here's a direct link. it's a very nice, solid shelf, and i felt like it was priced reasonable as well. The same shelf is also made in clear, but i went with black becuase i didnt want to be able to see the dust that would eventually settle on the top of the shelf, if we are sitting on the couch and looked up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DMJ49C/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

post #5 of 12 Old 12-04-2013, 10:47 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks for the link. That is just what I am looking for.

Dave
post #6 of 12 Old 12-04-2013, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I added 2 more pics.....

1st one is the "music choice channel " panel i made for my wife....she loves to listen to the music channels on time warner. I found the color icons via google and can post a link if anyone needs them.

2nd pic is the itunes module, which is very slick. artwork, track name, album name, etc, are all displayed, and the module works perfectly well.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-05-2013, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Spoke with Matt at Irule today....so of course the tweaking had to continue with the good idea he gave me.....

I added an "IMDB" button to my home screen - first pic ( We often have friends over to watch movies with us, and inevitably end up having disagreements about the year a movie came out, the actors in it, etc.... ).

The 2nd pic below is the actual IMDB screen. It's nothing fancy, but it gets the job done.

Making this change took me no more than 10 min from start to finish.

Irule is a tweakers dream biggrin.gif

post #8 of 12 Old 12-06-2013, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Kevings, great design and theater. Well done, I really like the graphics you use, simple but elegant. One thing you may already know, your iTunes button is a Windows logo........for some that may be a major no no!
post #9 of 12 Old 12-07-2013, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ekkoville,

Lol.....I wrestled with the logo decision for a bit with the htpc button. It's a windows 7 PC , but iTunes is what is most utilized on it. Decisions, decisions.

And thx for the kind words regarding my setup. I'm 37 but put my first home theater together in 8th grade so that I would have decent sound and picture from the VHS tapes my family would rent from blockbuster. Things have sure come a long way since then smile.gif
post #10 of 12 Old 12-11-2013, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

made a marquee over the weekend, after finding a thread on AVS about how to do it.......

also plugged it into an x10 receiver i had laying around, so i can dim/brighten/on/off, from my irule setup......pretty cool.

in the picture you can see a little bit of hotspotting in the upper left corner. I added a few diffuser panels though, and now it's lit very evenly lit and looks pretty damn good! biggrin.gif

post #11 of 12 Old 12-17-2013, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have been using iRule for a year now and it is completely stable, I wish this stuff would have been around 6 years ago I wouldn't have spent thousands on a bunch of clunky home automation stuff and expensive Universal remotes and such you can't even program because they took away the end user programming
post #12 of 12 Old 12-18-2013, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mark,

I couldn't agree with you more. Remotes sure have come along way. Friends of mine, come over to my place and see my irule setup / light control / alarm system, and think I spent insane amounts of money on it all.

When i break down the cost though, they are often surprised, by how much less things cost than their original perception.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Irule

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page