New home and need help with how to control my media - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-04-2013, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,
I am currently finishing up the construction of my new home. I have essentially 4 areas that will have t.v.s. I want to have 4 satellite receivers for each and each area will have one extra item along with that, such as apple t.v. for one tv and blu ray player for another. I will have the receivers, ATV's and Bluray all in my mechanical room out of sight. I want to control these devices from each area and, if i can, use the remote that came with the satellite receiver for the receiver and the t.v. I dont mind having the extra remote around for the other device. Some one suggested that i buy the next generation remote extender. Another person suggested i buy the i tach global cache with emitters because i am going to have a vera controller. I dont have much experience with this sort of thing and i am wondering if someone can help me with what would be my ideal solution for my needs and how each of the products that were suggested to me ,if they are a good option, would be set up to work.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-05-2013, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
If you're still in the construction phase just wire multiple Cat5/6 cables to each TV location from the equipment area (and mono/stereo 1/8" cables if you want to make it easier, but they aren't shielded as well). You can worry about the equipment after that goes in. But the two products you suggested have two different applications. What user experience are you trying to achieve?
post #3 of 13 Old 12-05-2013, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

The house is almost complete(dry walled painted) and there is a coax and 2 cat6 pulled to each area. I basically just want all satellite receivers and media players kept together out of sight. So satellite T.V. and apple T.V. is all i really need to control in each area maybe just satellite and smart t.v. etc.. I dont need to have universal remote for everything. I will probably buy a sound bar for every area so i dont have any surround sound setups to control.
post #4 of 13 Old 12-05-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Dish or DirecTV? DVRs or receivers? I ask because the latest DirecTV boxes are IR addressable but Dish Hopper/Joey is not.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-05-2013, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

I will have a dish. Right now i just have regular Bell HD receivers but i am thinking of getting 2 PVR models.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-05-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibracobra View Post

I will have a dish. Right now i just have regular Bell HD receivers but i am thinking of getting 2 PVR models.
Sorry, I don't know anything about Bell. In any case, controlling 16 satellite receivers with one remote is going to be a challenge no matter what. If I were you, I'd dedicate one remote per area, so you'll have 4 remotes instead of just one. That makes things a lot simpler.

Does Bell make DVRs that can serve more than one TV? In the US, DirecTV and Dish DVRs can each serve 3-5 TVs simultaneously, and just use small client boxes at each TV. That would be better than putting all client boxes in one place.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-05-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

I apologize, now that i read my original post I was unclear. There will only be four Receivers total, one for each area and i want to use one remote in each area. I can control the t.v. and receiver on the receiver remote, but i just need to know the best way for each remote to work when the receiver is in another location?
post #8 of 13 Old 12-05-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

If Bell sells RF remotes, that would be the simplest, cheapest solution.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-05-2013, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have two Bell 9241 HD PVRs. Both came with UHF remotes, but one was set for IR & needed to be switched to UHF. I have a Harmony One (to be replaced with a Touch) so I don't use the UHF remote for one setup. For my living room, I do use the UHF remote to control the PVR & the TV. I'm not sure how far away I can get from the PVR before losing control though.
You should see if you can download the manual & check what else you can control with the remote. I think you can control 4 devices including the PVR. Your Blu-Ray player at least should be able to be controlled.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-05-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Ok so if i buy the bell uhf remotes i should be fine, 2of my tv's are probably 60 ' away and 2 are more like 30' away. Do these sound like a distances the bell uhf can cover?
post #11 of 13 Old 12-06-2013, 12:29 PM

I don't know about the 60'. 30' should be okay. I'll see if I can check & let you know.
post #12 of 13 Old 12-06-2013, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!
post #13 of 13 Old 12-09-2013, 09:37 AM

Checked yesterday. I got about 20-30' away before the remote lost contact. My IRD's behind smoked glass doors.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech Harmony One Advanced Universal Remote

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page