Question about how a Harmony remote controls devices - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-19-2013, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I will probably be looking to get a Harmony remote for my living room setup, probably a 450. I've been wondering how the macro functions work when controlling devices to accomplish a certain task.

Let's say you have one macro for "Watch TV". As I understand it, the remote sends out a series of signals to turn on the TV on the correct input, turn on (in my case) the DirecTV DVR box, and the AVR set to the D* input.

If I want to watch a movie, it will turn on the TV to the Blu-Ray input, turn on the Blu-Ray player, and turn on the AVR set to the BRD input.

That's all fine and good, if everything is off to start with. But what if I'm watching TV and then want to switch to watching a movie, or something else? How does it know to switch devices from one input to another input instead of just turning them on? Does it turn all devices off first and then turn them back on?

And also how does it handle devices that use the same signal for both on and off? For example my Sony bedroom TV will turn either On or Off by pressing the same On button on my DirecTV remote.

Thanks for any insight as to how these programmable "all-in-one" remotes work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-19-2013, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 76
It keeps track of what power state it thinks every device is in and turns things on and off accordingly. Same for inputs and such... If it gets out of sync the help function will walk you through fixing it.

I don't recall there being a Harmony 450... it's certainly not a current model. Did you mean the 650?

One of the biggest things you need to pay attention to is the number of devices you need to control.

I thought I remembered there being a way you could trial the Harmony programming interface, but I can't find it now. Try Google or YouTube or email their support.

post #3 of 6 Old 12-19-2013, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Yes the 650, not the 450.

At present and for the foreseeable future I will only have 4 devices to control in the living room (TV, AVR, DVR, and BRD).

So if for example the TV is already set on the input I want to use, then it won't send the signal to change inputs, correct?

Is the 700 worth getting over the 650 for the rechargeable batteries?
post #4 of 6 Old 12-19-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I've been using Harmony remotes for many years and I'm pretty much convinced there is nothing you can't configure them for...except my brother's twenty years old Bose speakers that use ultrasonic signals and not infrared. And also Wii that uses some kind of motion sensors.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-19-2013, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post

So if for example the TV is already set on the input I want to use, then it won't send the signal to change inputs, correct?

Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post

Is the 700 worth getting over the 650 for the rechargeable batteries?

I think that is a matter of preference.

post #6 of 6 Old 12-19-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 421
The 700 uses regular rechargeable AA's. You could just put those in a 650 too. The difference is you can recharge the 700 without removing them.

I actually prefer the 600 because refurbs are dirt cheap, and I couldn't care less about the mono screen versus color.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech Harmony 650 Remote Silver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page