Pass sound through to 2nd hdmi out using Onkyo 616 amp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-30-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an Onkyo 616 amp and recently I ran a 2nd hdmi out to another room to watch tv there. I can pass the video out fine to two different rooms with no problems.

In my living room I have a 5.1 setup and the TV upstairs I just want to use the tv speakers.

If I set the amp to pass sound through to the TV then it sends it for both the main and sub hdmi connections. This results in the amp outputting stereo to the 5.1 arrangement.

I can find no way outputting the sound to the sub hdmi only and then only option seems to be to switch on and off the tv audio pass through manually everytime I wish to watch tv upstairs.

This is an unacceptable solution and wanted to know if anyone has found a better way of doing it.

It does seem silly that the video can be passed through so easily but the audio cannot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-01-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Thats life in HDMI land. Basically, you have to deal with the "lowest common denominator"... since the TV likely can only handle stereo, it "tells" the system (and source in particular) to send only stereo audio. You need "EDID management" capablilities to get around that. It can be found in some higher priced hdmi matrix switches among other units.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-01-2014, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
No idea what you're talking about. All I want to do is to pass through sound to the one hdmi output but not the other.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr616
Gear in this thread - Nr616 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page