Is the Harmony Smart Control right for me? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-14-2014, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'm looking for advice, left to my own devices I've just about talked myself into the Harmony Smart Control for my Living Room system.

One of my concerns is about apps on Smart devices; the Harmony Smart Control site talks about access to Netflix through a Gaming Console - can I assume the same is true for smart Blu-Ray players?

These are the devices I'd want to program (the Harmony Site shows them all to be compatible):
Plasma HDTV: TC-P50S2 Panasonic (remote code: 1111)
Cable BOX: Motorola DCH6200
Apple TV
Blu-Ray: Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Blu-Ray
Marantz NR1602 AVR

I want to use both Apple and Android devices as the main control.

I want to be able to access the Netflix app on the Blu-Ray like it shows on the commercial with a "Watch Netflix" button (or something similar). I'd like a similar one-touch access to the Pandora and YouTube apps. Can the one-touch icons/buttons navigate learn the various "steps" involved in navigating the smart-apps on devices? Do these one-touch buttons also power-on the devices if necessary - what if the device is already on - is it smart-enough to know? (no pun intended) smile.gif

I'm hoping this remove will solve various problems:
1) I hate the Marantz remote, I'd want the smart control to completely replace it if possible.
2) I want to consolidate the 3 remotes I currently use into one device (TV, Blu-Ray, Marantz remotes)
3) I want access from an iPad, iPhone and Android phone.
4) I'd really like one-touch controls that can perform multiple functions, like source switching and volume control.

Is the Harmony Smart Control right for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-15-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 319
The following applies to most decent universal remotes, including Smart and it's companion app. It should help you understand how they work so you can make a decision.
  • Access every function from every remote, plus a few discrete power and input functions which may not appear on your original remote
  • Assign any function or macro to any button
  • Key group mapping (in a given state, map groups of keys to different devices, i.e., vol keys to an AVR, playback keys to a BD player, menu keys to a TV)
  • Learn commands from any IR remote
  • Macros. These are sequences of commands that run from a single button press. "Watch TV", for example, is what Harmony calls an Activity macro. It would send power and input commands to each device involved and map the key groups accordingly.

Within the constraints above, you can see that, if your original remote has a Netflix button, your Smart can too. The only reason Logitech stresses Netflix on a gaming console is that most other remotes can't control gaming consoles like the PS3 at all because it's bluetooth rather than IR.

If you original remote has arrow buttons to navigate, then the Smart can too. I don't know what One-Touch buttons are. I assume they refer to sequence macros. Those cannot be learned, rather you specify the steps. For example, if you want to make a "Pandora" sequence, perform the steps manually and remember or write them down, then put those steps in your sequence. So if the steps are Home, Streaming, up, down, left, right, select, then that's what you put in your sequence. A "Pandora" activity would be a little different. It would power on your devices and select the correct inputs as well, then perform the steps above. That's the main difference between a sequence macro (One-Touch?), and an Activity macro, the power and input commands (and key group mapping).

There are a couple of ways for a remote to be smart enough to know if a device is already on. One way is to use discrete power commands. All the devices you listed except your cable box has discrete power commands available. In this case the remote doesn't need to remember if a device is on or not. Sending multiple ON commands will always turn a device on and never back off. Another way is what I call state tracking. In the case of your cable box, which only has a power toggle, sending that command to a device that's already on will turn it back off. In this case the remote sets a bit to remember it just sent a power toggle to turn the device on. When there is another request to turn the device on, the remote checks that bit. If it's already set, it won't send power toggle again.

The Smart meets all your criteria. So do some other remotes. The Smart would not work for me because I don't want to rely on my phone to control certain functions. I like to be able to access every command and macro on my remote. That's a personal preference. I also don't like the fact that the Smart has no IR capability. Everything it controls must be line of sight with the hub. I don't like the fact that Smart has no display for additional commands. I realize the phone app serves this function, but unlike you, I don't want to use my phone. I find using any remote I have to look at to use to be a distraction. My philosophy is a remote should be a tool that you don't even think about, like the gear shift in a car. You never have to look at or think about the gear shift. You know what it does by feel and can operate it without thinking. Changing gears by touch screen would be cool, but it would take your attention away from the task of driving. It's nice to be able to do just about everything on your phone. But some tasks are better suited to a dedicated, single purpose device.

But getting off my soapbox now, the Smart looks like it will do exactly what you want. Just realize you have to build your sequences rather than learn them.
CubicleCrusher likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-16-2014, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for such a great reply!

Macros and sequences, yes that's what I meant by the "one touch buttons". Discrete power - I wasn't understanding what that meant - so thanks again. You have alleviated many of my concerns. I've only had cheap "Universal" remotes that did little more than power, channel and volume - so I'm really looking forward to the power that these kinds of remotes can give. Perhaps, finally, I can really just use one remote.

But, according to the website, the Smart Control does not need to be in line-of-sight:
The Harmony Hub also allows you to control home theater devices located behind cabinets or walls. You don’t have to point your mobile phone or remote at your devices anymore. You don’t even have to be in the same room.

I'm not sure "How" it does that (IR/Wi-Fi/???), but I assume it's true. I don't need this feature immediately but I plan to put things in a cabinet out-of-sight and I'm hoping this will allow me to do that - as advertised.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-16-2014, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicleCrusher View Post

But, according to the website, the Smart Control does not need to be in line-of-sight:
The Harmony Hub also allows you to control home theater devices located behind cabinets or walls. You don’t have to point your mobile phone or remote at your devices anymore. You don’t even have to be in the same room.

I'm not sure "How" it does that (IR/Wi-Fi/???), but I assume it's true. I don't need this feature immediately but I plan to put things in a cabinet out-of-sight and I'm hoping this will allow me to do that - as advertised.
I said the "hub" (or blasters) needed line of sight, not the remote. The Smart can't send IR itself. For example, if you have the hub in your cabinet, and you point the Smart at the TV in front of you, it won't work. The hub or a blaster has to be line of sight with everything you want to control.

As for discrete commands, they do only one thing. A toggle does two things. An input command does lots of things. Send power toggle twice, and your device turns on and back off. Send discrete ON twice and your device turns on and stays on. Send input 3 times, your device goes from HDMI 1 to 2 to 3. Send discrete HDMI 2 three times, your device goes directly to HDMI 2 and stays. That's the beauty of discretes. They're not on your original remotes, but they're often in the Harmony database and your devices will respond to them. The behavior of discretes makes your macros 100% reliable and repeatable no matter what state your device is currently in.

Most cheap remotes are very limited as you said, but some cheap remotes, like JP1, are very powerful and even more sophisticated than Harmony. That's why I use JP1 instead of Harmony, for the price and programmability. I'm not suggesting you do that, but just letting you know that not all cheap remotes are created equal.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-17-2014, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I went for it and purchased the Smart Control.

The simple remote is very simple - but I like that. My wife, for example, has little interest besides turning on the TV and adjusting channels/volume - she uses Air Play to my Marantz for her music. So far it's fitting the bill.

I've installed the android app for my phone, and that's really robust! I'm learning how to work the macros, but was quickly able to set up basic functions like "Watch TV" and "BluRay". I now have to navigate deeper with the macros and figure out how to program settings that will mimic functions like the "Surround" button that changes surround sound modes and the "Netflix" button on my BluRay remote.

But I only had 30 minutes to play with it yesterday, and I found it very encouraging!

Thanks again for all the input!
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bdt220 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Marantz Nr1602 Av Receiver , Panasonic Tc P50s2 50 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Logitech 915 000194 Harmony Smart Control
Gear in this thread - P50s2 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page