Need remote control advice for universal + iPhone/iPad control - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-29-2014, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an entertainment center with a whole bunch of remotes I want to consolidate. Here are the components:

LG smart TV
Onkyo TX-NR626
Apple TV (have 1st gen and 2nd gen I could use)
Directv DVR receiver
Nintendo Wii

Ideally I want a universal remote (right now we have to turn on sound and change sources and zones with one remote and use directv remote for changing channels). Netflix on Wii or smart tv using wii or TV remote. I also want to be able to install an app on everyone's phones and iPads to control everything too.

Price is not an issue really. Just want something simple I can program myself. Should I use the Logitech Harmony 650? Any other recommendations?

Thanks for anything you can suggest. This forum is soooo helpful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-30-2014, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Oh and Sony DVD player too
post #3 of 10 Old 01-30-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 350
The following meet all your requirements. There are probably other iOS options as well (Roomie, Touch Squid, etc.).

iRule
Harmony Touch (plus Hub), Ultimate or Smart Control

The 650 won't control your Wii and has no iOS integration. But I highly recommend you never watch Netflix on the Wii again. At 480i, it looks absolutely terrible.

I've never had any desire to use my iPhone or iPad as a remote, so I personally prefer a dedicated remote with actual buttons. The Smart is probably your best option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 01-30-2014, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Oh I wrote that wrong .... We use netflix through the TV itself. You're right - picture quality awful!
post #5 of 10 Old 01-30-2014, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your help. My thinking is that my kids can use their phones and the few extra iPads we have to control the TV Do all Harmony remotes have an app for IPhones and pads too? Looks like the touch screen vs the regular is the primary difference between smart and ultimate
post #6 of 10 Old 01-30-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

No they don't. Only the ones I listed plus the discontinued Link.

post #7 of 10 Old 02-04-2014, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Just got the ultimate and will try to install this week. One thing I thought of ... Will it control non-wifi enabled devices? My directv box is older so hope that isn't a problem.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-04-2014, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullender View Post

Just got the ultimate and will try to install this week. One thing I thought of ... Will it control non-wifi enabled devices? My directv box is older so hope that isn't a problem.
You're in luck. The Ultimate won't control ANY wifi devices. It controls IR devices and a few bluetooth devices (PS3 and Wii only). You're DirecTV will need to be in IR mode, not RF, in order for Harmony to control it.

post #9 of 10 Old 02-04-2014, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Oh interesting ..... I know my receiver had wifi and the Apple TV works over wifi too that's why I'm worried. Feel so silly because this is technology I don't understand!
post #10 of 10 Old 02-05-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

If you want to control everything (except the Wii) by wifi, you need to use iRule instead of Harmony. In that case, you'll need to at least connect your DirecTV box to your network somehow since it is IP controllable, but not wifi without additional equipment.

When you say your receiver and ATV worked over wifi, were you not using IR remotes to control them, or were you using some other apps or interfaces instead? Both are IR controllable and will work fine with Harmony, just not via wifi.

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Logitech Harmony 650 Remote Silver
Gear in this thread - Nr626 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page