Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have gradually been building items in my living room. I have:

Samsung rear projection TV
Sony Smart Blu-ray
Apple TV
NAD receiver
Comcast cable (never use)

My wife and kids started with using the tv for sound and the blu-ray for netflix, etc. I am trying to get them onto the apple tv and receiver but we have a minimum of 3 remotes. The receiver seems to be the toughest thing to get onto other controllers. I'm looking to get something programmable, but am not willing to pay hundreds of dollars.

Is there something which is easy enough for kids to use for multiple devices and I could get for say under $75?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-03-2014, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Since you have only five devices, your best bet is probably the Harmony 650, which can be bought for less than $75.00. It can be programmed to perform "Activites" which is what you are seeking, I believe.

Also, I can say from lots of experience, that the Harmony remotes, with the Activity based set up, is a blessing for family use. You can program an amazing amount of detail into them, and the "HELP" button is a godsend. My wife and family are so pleased with themselves to go from watching TV to a DVD, to "apps", etc. with just one push of a button. And they don't have to hunt me down and ask "how do I watch a movie?".

The "downside" of a Harmony is that once the family gets used to it, they want one in every room with TVs, etc. I started with one simple Harmony, and now have six advanced models in the house......

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I bought all this "stuff" to enjoy it!
post #3 of 3 Old 02-03-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 285
A JP1 remote like the RCA RCRP05BR does nearly everything Harmony does and costs only $8 plus another $8 for a programming cable. The Comcast remote you already have is most likely a JP1 remote and can do activities and more devices if you program it to do so. See my Wiki link for details.

And if your kids are really small, it doesn't matter if they get jelly on it or throw it against a wall, it won't ruin it like it would a Harmony. If you happen to run over it with a truck, you're only out $8 instead of $75.

If you want to spend as little as possible, I highly recommend JP1.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Rca Rcrp05br 5 Device Cable Replacement Universal Remote Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page