Directv remote setup disables Harmony remote's TV control? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-17-2014, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm completely confused... The Directv installer came today, and as part of his setup process, he programmed the semi-universal "Genie" box (and client box) remotes to turn my various TVs on and off, and control the volume on my various receivers. Nice touch, I thought, but ultimately useless as it doesn't power on or off the receivers, and all my TV setups also utilize other components such as Roku, Apple TV, etc. etc.

I use Harmony Smart control remotes with all my TV setups. We don't use a smartphone with them, but the included remote since it's much easier, and we don't like to hang out on the couch for an entire movie hugging a cellphone.

So since all my Harmony remotes were setup with the old Time Warner cable boxes, I went to update them with the Directv boxes in the "Watch TV" activities.

First stumble I ran into is that upon adding the Directv devices, the remote would only turn on/off the Directv box (and receiver), but not actually control the box. So I had to manually add literally everything (channel up/down, d-pad, numbers, etc. etc.)

Finally I had the Harmony controlling the Directv box and operating the "Watch TV" activity correctly... Except for one thing. It has zero control over the TV. Why, I have no idea. It's simply gone... The TV won't turn on or off. Since I'm using the remote that came with the Smart Control, there's no "help" button or screen with a help walkthrough to correct this.

I have no idea what the hell the Directv remote setup could have done, but there it is. TV control is completely gone for the Harmony remote. All systems useless. Completely mystified, because logically, this is impossible. Yet all three TV setups are the same...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-17-2014, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
You don't state what the other equipment is in your set ups, but is it possible that the installer enabled ARC or HDMI control functions?

You also may want to try completely deleting the activites and recreating them; often this solves many problems.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I bought all this "stuff" to enjoy it!
post #3 of 4 Old 02-17-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Smart does have help. Each time you run the activity again, it steps through help.

DirecTV has been in the harmony database for many years. There is no reason to learn any DirecTV commands. If I were you, I'd start over, as bizwiz said, and not do any learns. HDMI control is likely one of the culprits too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old 02-25-2014, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
EDIT:

Just contacted DirecTV and figured out the issue... It is a known bug with the Genie boxes. The genie remote needs to not only be unpaired, but be kept with the batteries out. Otherwise a competing signal is continuously sent out that blocks the Harmony signal. Wow. Invasive little remote, ha ha...
SCOVAtech likes this.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Roku Streaming Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page