Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 77 Old 03-18-2014, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD NC View Post

Makes a lot of sense for Logitech to do this - if true, the Ultimate One and the Ultimate's remote are probably identical hardware. Nice advantage in manufacturing, since they can get three products (Utlmate, Ultimate One, and Hub) out of two hardware components with a small change in packaging and documentation.

I'm actually more likely to get the Ultimate One because of this. If I can turn it into the full-featured ultimate by just adding the hub later on, there's much less downside in getting a ultimate one now, because I'm not giving up any future functionality. I can live with IR only for the short term, but I eventually want the bluetooth and RF capabilities of the Ultimate. Nice to know that it's a clean and inexpensive upgrade path.

I agree completely that it makes a lot of sense from Logitech's perspective (other than the name which I still argue shouldn't include the word Ultimate). In fact when I first heard about the replacement of the Touch with the Ultimate One, my assumption was that it was to standardize manufacturing between the two models. However, the initial reports that there is no RF upgradability were certainly derailing that thought. I am very glad to see them retain this feature/ability.

I still haven't broken the seal on it but plan to do so this evening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 77 Old 03-18-2014, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by indecision View Post

My Harmony Ultimate One came today direct from Logitech. The side of the box says "Upgradeable to Harmony Ultimate - Purchase Harmony Hub (sold separately) to add features like closed-cabinet access, control of Bluetooth game systems, and a powerful Harmony App for smartphones."

I was very surprised to see this but still scared to open it until someone else confirms.

Edit: I now see that a Harmony product rep has replied to the Amazon reviews that state that it will not operate via RF by adding the hub. According to the response, he says that it does work and to contact him for support.

Hi indecision

I believe you're referring to this link.. if so, then yes - it was me who posted that reply smile.gif

The Ultimate Hub can definitely be added to an Ultimate One, enabling RF control and transforming it into a full Ultimate.

Was it you who posted this review? Please do reach out if you need assistance - we'd be happy to make sure your remote is working properly.

Regards,

Sylvain

post #63 of 77 Old 03-18-2014, 11:08 AM

Sylvain,

Thank you for the reply. That is definitely the confirmation I am looking for (as if the side of the box weren't enough). No it wasn't me that posted the review (mine just arrived yesterday), but I think it is a shame that someone did. That is a pretty uneducated consumer that bought a device that is sold as IR only (which is stated clearly on the product page he purchased from) and then gives it 1 star for not doing something that it was never advertised to do. Regardless of the ability to add RF with the hub, the product page only mentions IR. I guess it could be some confusion with the naming of the product.

One question since you are here...I recently imported and made changes to my original ONE using MyHarmony.com (I had previously used the old software/site). I know that the Touch/Ultimate/Ultimate-One can import the configuration from the older software, but can they import from a remote that you are replacing that is already configured with MyHarmony? I guess what I am asking is if I am going to have to program from scratch? I am hoping that there is a way to import.

Thanks again!
post #64 of 77 Old 03-18-2014, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by indecision View Post

Sylvain,

Thank you for the reply. That is definitely the confirmation I am looking for (as if the side of the box weren't enough). No it wasn't me that posted the review (mine just arrived yesterday), but I think it is a shame that someone did. That is a pretty uneducated consumer that bought a device that is sold as IR only (which is stated clearly on the product page he purchased from) and then gives it 1 star for not doing something that it was never advertised to do. Regardless of the ability to add RF with the hub, the product page only mentions IR. I guess it could be some confusion with the naming of the product.

One question since you are here...I recently imported and made changes to my original ONE using MyHarmony.com (I had previously used the old software/site). I know that the Touch/Ultimate/Ultimate-One can import the configuration from the older software, but can they import from a remote that you are replacing that is already configured with MyHarmony? I guess what I am asking is if I am going to have to program from scratch? I am hoping that there is a way to import.

Thanks again!

Hi indecision,

Yes smile.gif Account imports now offer the ability to import devices and Activities from

- a remote in the same MyHarmony account (I believe this is your case)
- a remote in another MyHarmony account
- a remote in a Logitech Harmony Software account

Regards,

Sylvain

Edited for typos

post #65 of 77 Old 03-18-2014, 12:16 PM

Excellent! Thanks!
post #66 of 77 Old 03-23-2014, 07:27 PM

Sorry if this is hijacking the tread, but I have a few questions that Sylvain might be able to answer. First I have a HDMI matrix switch that doesn't play too well with the Harmony touch/ultimate. It just happened to be my luck that it was an unknown brand so I had to teach all of the commands. While setting it up I had to select None of the Above in Other to get the options I needed to teach the inputs. I change inputs by selecting the desired destination(output), and then selecting the desired source(input). I haven't been able to find an option for changing inputs on activities/devices that works like this. I've been able to work around this by just adding additional startup commands, but it might cause some issues down the road. Is there something I'm missing?

A second issue I'm having is with setting the watch movie and play game activities. I'm trying to set additional commands for start up so the playstation selects the user and goes to the movie or game. But the remote doesn't turn the playstation on until after the sequence even though it shows the sequence after.

post #67 of 77 Old 03-29-2014, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hey guys. I was given an opportunity by Logitech to review the Ultimate one. Great remote and an improvement over the touch. Here's a link to the review
:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A2421HAJSIZF2P/ref=pdp_new_read_full_review_link?ie=UTF8&page=1&sort_by=MostRecentReview#RS23RE2BK3QA5
post #68 of 77 Old 04-14-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Picked one of these up at Best Buy last night. Opted for the $40 2 year guarantee against accidental damage - I have small kids and if this remote is primary...it's going to happen if I don't purchase the insurance (and I never do on other products).

Anyway decently impressed so far. This is my first shot with Harmony. It's not uber cluttered, works decently with initial setup, seems well constructed with good tactile feel of buttons and feedback. Played around with adding controls to the screen as well as using the swipe functions to control playback (playback buttons are up top and one can swipe instead...not really sold yet but seems intuitive).

I'm waiting on a MCE remote (really just the IR) for the Home Theater PC where I primarily run XBMC but otherwise pretty satisfied so far. I'll update as I have two weeks to return it but only issue I ran into was Verizon FIOS (4 year customer) not being in Logitech's cable provider database for my zip code.

I'm running a Panny 65" VT60, Marantz 6005 receiver, HTPC with XBMC, Samsung BluRay Player, Fios/Motorola Cable Box HD/DVR, Xbox 360 and a few other pieces. So far so good.

Display:    Panasonic 65" VT60

AVR:        Marantz 6005

Speakers: Kef Q towers/rears Kef Reference center

HTPC:       Win 7 Pro with XBMC

Xbox Live: Arbitrage XXL

post #69 of 77 Old 04-16-2014, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
As soon as they tell me that a firmware upgrade will let it control the PS4 I'll buy one. Until then, I'll wait until I know what hardware I need to control the PS4. I'd hate to need a new/separate hub to do it.
post #70 of 77 Old 04-17-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakiChan View Post

As soon as they tell me that a firmware upgrade will let it control the PS4 I'll buy one. Until then, I'll wait until I know what hardware I need to control the PS4. I'd hate to need a new/separate hub to do it.
How is this Logitech's fault? You're saying you won't buy a Harmony until it controls a PS4. Yet you don't say you won't buy a PS4 until Sony makes it work with a remote. This remote incompatibility is 100% Sony's doing. They chose to make PS4 incompatible with remotes. It's not a bug or an accident or an oversight, it's by design. Just turn on HDMI-CEC or get a streaming BD player and a Harmony (or the universal remote of your choice) and be done with it. Sony isn't changing course now, and Logitech is powerless to do anything about it.

Of course, HDMI-CEC control works just fine with any universal remote and PS4 today. So there's really no reason to boycott and universal remote maker over this. It's a non-issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #71 of 77 Old 04-23-2014, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

How is this Logitech's fault?

First, please chill.

Did I say it was Harmony's fault? It's clearly Sony's fault. And to clarify - I won't buy a Harmony Ultimate until it works with a PS4 - OR they flat-out say they won't even support a PS4. I already have a Harmony One (and the original IR2BT), and I see no reason to upgrade. Or, rather, I *do* see reasons to upgrade, but the concern about being able to control a PS4 in the near future makes me hold off. I am ordering a nice Salamander TV stand and I'd love an RF-based solution. However, without a clear idea of how this is going to go I will stick with my Harmony One and keep my PS3 as a BD player and just use the PS4 for games. I am rather annoyed at Sony for taking what has been a reference quality BD player (the PS3) and replaced it with what is clearly now the best-in-class game console...and crippled the media features.
Quote:

Yet you don't say you won't buy a PS4 until Sony makes it work with a remote.

Irrelevant. A Harmony remote won't play Destiny, for example. It's still the best-in-class game console.
Quote:

This remote incompatibility is 100% Sony's doing. They chose to make PS4 incompatible with remotes. It's not a bug or an accident or an oversight, it's by design.

I agree. And it's annoying. However, the PS4 is still great game console. That's why I'm buying one.
Quote:

Just turn on HDMI-CEC or get a streaming BD player and a Harmony (or the universal remote of your choice) and be done with it. Sony isn't changing course now, and Logitech is powerless to do anything about it. Of course, HDMI-CEC control works just fine with any universal remote and PS4 today. So there's really no reason to boycott and universal remote maker over this. It's a non-issue.

HDMI-CEC is not very happy with the AVR-3808CI. Your second option is my plan - probably an Oppo BD-103D. I just don't feel like spending the $600 right now. However, given that Harmony found it worthwhile to develop a control option for the PS3 I'm guessing they're working on it for the PS4. If it's just a firmware upgrade for the hub then cool, but who knows. If Harmony gives a hint either way I could be talked into upgrading. But making it sound like I'm boycotting the company...that's not fair.
post #72 of 77 Old 04-23-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakiChan View Post

...making it sound like I'm boycotting the company...that's not fair.
My apologies.

As for other options, my $30 second hand Sony 1100 plays BD just as well as my PS3, and works with any universal remote out of the box. So you don't necessarily have to spend $600 unless you want a lot more bells and whistles.

Love your movies BTW.

post #73 of 77 Old 04-23-2014, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

As for other options, my $30 second hand Sony 1100 plays BD just as well as my PS3, and works with any universal remote out of the box. So you don't necessarily have to spend $600 unless you want a lot more bells and whistles.

My PS3 works just fine right now. But if I'm going to spend money on a dedicated BD/DVD player I'm going with best-in-breed. $600 isn't over the top for something that can act as a video processor as well.

However, the other problem with the Harmony Ultimate is that with the kind of enclosed cabinet I have 2 blasters isn't enough, really. Still researching options on that.

However, one thing that may help is that I can feed my stereo with a line in from the hub. The only thing I'm not sure is if the Ultimate can control the X1 DVR via RF. That would help to. The X2 remote that came with it is RF based.
post #74 of 77 Old 04-24-2014, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

You'll have to use the hub or a blaster for your DVR.

post #75 of 77 Old 04-28-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Just chiming back in. I've had good luck with this product. Pretty well thought out.

I like the minimalist approach to physical buttons and ability to use a subset of buttons (or all of them) for each activity if there is a need. Additionally one can delve into the total master list for associated or all components as needed. This really does let you put your other remotes away on an all but permanent basis. I also like the customization of long/short/both presses on various buttons. For instance a short press can skip forward and a long press can fast forward. Control of HTPC (with XBMC) and Xbox360 is very decent. I typically launch directly into XBMC so I can't comment on general windows 7 navigation use. No issues with overlap codes as I've seen numerous others post on HTPC/XB360 combos in the past. Charge seems more than adequate. IR strength is solid and haven't seen it miss yet unless I have something directly in front of a component's IR and near flush with it. Programming was decently straightforward and may suffice for many but tweakers can definitely sink their teeth in. Ability to add the blaster/RF hub if my setup changes in the future is useful to me as well as easy migration to a new remote version saving my component setups. Auto off and wake up from movement of the remote function is set fine for me and works. I also like the favorite channels as it helps my little ones pick out their channels (I just searched each channel on google and grabbed a channel icon image to load in). Icons for the activities serve the same useful functions and add to the look/feel.

DVR/DVD/BR navigation up top is a little awkward but honestly the touch screen using swipes/gestures (tap once for pause and twice for play, swipe right for skip forward or swipe right and hold for fast forward etc...) supplants the need for most of the navigation besides all but the most deliberate buttons like "record" or "system power off" although programming record into the touch screen would be a 3 second affair.

All in all, I'm impressed and takes a decently complicated setup with a few legacy devices and makes it very intuitive and easy.

My setup:

Panasonic 65" VT60, Marantz AVR with Fios HD-DVR, Samsung BluRay, Windows 7 HTPC with XBMC, Xbox360 (Amazon Video), PS1.
HDMI Audio return has never worked properly (ok first time only and NEVER again regardless of setting combo) so I have an optical cable on a separate AVR input but only use this for the Skype and Pandora Apps on the Panasonic. Original NES is also direct into TV with separate input and video mode (game and stretch as opposed to THX for all others on the HDMI 2 input).
Remote toggles all of this properly.

Display:    Panasonic 65" VT60

AVR:        Marantz 6005

Speakers: Kef Q towers/rears Kef Reference center

HTPC:       Win 7 Pro with XBMC

Xbox Live: Arbitrage XXL

post #76 of 77 Old 07-25-2014, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
A quick kudos to Sylvain for having the Harmony techs look at my devices and make some adjustments that corrected an issue I, and other Anthem AVM 20 owners were having. We were unable to adjust the existing repeats to allow the pre/pro to change the volume in .5 db increments. The closest I could get prior to the changes was 1.0 db. After the changes I am happy to report I can now change volume in half db increments again. Thanks to Sylvain and Harmony!!!

John
post #77 of 77 Old 07-25-2014, 12:02 PM

I still really like my Ultimate One but I have a question that I am hoping you guys can help with. This is probably getting into some extreme customization but here goes. I have an HTPC in my setup that handles all of the on/off control of my devices. Some components are controlled via IP, some via IR, and one via serial connection so it is just easier/more reliable for me to use the the Activities to send a single, specific IR command from the Harmony which then triggers the appropriate command macro on the PC.

In setting things up this way I have to "fool" the Harmony by telling it to leave all of my devices on all of the time, then I add a customized command to the start-up routine of each Activity to initiate that macro via the PC.

The issue is this...even though the remote is not sending any power commands for the devices used in the Activity, there is still a significant delay before issuing my start-up command to the HTPC as if it were still sending the original equipment power commands. And you cant change the order to put my customized command 1st on the execution list to get things moving faster.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to achieve this more effectively?

Thanks!
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech 915 000201 Harmony Ultimate Remote

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page