IR emmitter with ipad - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-20-2014, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I was considering getting the ipad air to use while in the living room but as well as to control my ir devices such as the Oppo BDP-93, pioneer elite sc-55 receiver, LG TV, HDMI Switcher. I also have all the console xbox 360, ps3 (I know uses Bluetooth no IR), one and ps4 not sure about ir. Consoles are not as big of a deal.

I was looking into getting an ipad due to the apps it has but also better support than compared to an android. I now some android tablets have ir blaster but I don't care having to reposition myself to be line of sight of my electronics.

In my living room I have two gigabit switches. My office has the netgear gigabit Wireless N router which is on the other side of the wall next to the living room. So, I can do wireless or wired if I need to.

What program and devices would you recommend?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Aaron

Xbox Live: ShadyFusion23

PSN: Nukleard1sa5t0r

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-20-2014, 10:09 AM
DGF

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Check out iRule and Roomie - both can control IP capable devices without additional hardware, so it would just be an app purchase for those devices. As you were alluding to, some of your devices won't fall into this category (PS3, for example). There are other alternatives at similar price points, but these two apps seem to be getting traction and doing some neat things.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-20-2014, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

I like the look of the roomie. I read that you had to pay more than the $10 if I want to control mulitiple devices. One thing I'm confused about and maybe you guys can clear it up for me, do all devices to be controlled IP have to be connected to the network or is that only the blaster device have to be connected to the network. I see some people had issues with the WR2IP and went with the Lan version instead.

I'm also try to understand how all of this is supposed to be hooked up based on my lan configuration and layout.

post #4 of 7 Old 02-20-2014, 11:12 AM
DGF

Yup, you'll need the "home theater" pack to control more than a couple of devices.

I think your mental model of how everything hangs together may be slightly off - an IP capable device just needs an IP connection, no emitters or blasters (but devices that you need to use IR with will obviously need one of these, or a 3.5mm m-m cable if you hardwire it). If everything you own is IP capable, and is in reach of a hub/router/switch (which it sounds like might be your situation) you just need to wire the device in - Roomie knows the IP address of each device and communicates directly with it over wifi into your network. You only need to use a GC iTach/Flex/GC100/etc. if you go IR or serial, or maybe don't have physical access to be able to use a category cable (this is where something like the GC Flex would come in).

Dave
post #5 of 7 Old 02-20-2014, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

ok well that makes more sense lol. At least I think all my devices does have an LAN port so I may be well off just getting that since their all on the same network. An emitter may be good just in case one of them doesn't work as expected for some reason.

post #6 of 7 Old 02-20-2014, 01:07 PM
DGF

Makes sense!

Check out the Roomie website's 'compatibility' tab just to verify that each of your devices is in their IP database - if any aren't, they seem very responsive/receptive about adding new devices.

I'd actually suggest deferring getting the equipment to run an emitter (remember, you need something to hang the emitter/blaster off the network and drive it - like the GC devices - so this is potentially a $100'ish addition) - I'd recommend you buy the very basic Roomie app for $9.95 (IIRC) and hook up a couple of devices for which you have easy physical (wired) access back to your router. Then you're all set to try Roomie for real - it's super easy to get stuff up and running quickly - and you can evaluate if it's going to meet your needs, all for under 10 bucks. If you like it, you can add the home theater pack and work out if you need to have any IR components.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-21-2014, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

After looking at my model numbers, this is what I'll have to look into and getting the proper equipment for all these.

IP: Oppo BDP-93 and Pioneer SC-55
IR: Motorola cable box, Monoprice HDX-501 5 HDMI port switch ?
Serial/IR: LG 55LX9500 TV.

Now I just have to price out an ipad, Maybe the iPad Air. It looks nice and everything else that makes all that work together.

I had an android sony xperia s tablet but the screen is messed up and partially not working. It did have a basic remote app that worked the IR well but you HAD to be line of sight and now the screen touch recognition is messing up.

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Sc 55 Sc55 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver , Irule

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page