need opinions on a Home Theater Remote for family - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-25-2014, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
SO i have way too many remotes and my wife has a hard time operating the Media Room when i am away on business. I get random calls all of the time to help her through what to do...

With that aside the remote would have to be very user friendly and easy to navigate, the items i use are below:

Vizio M801d-A3R 80"
Yamaha RX-V671 reciever
Direct TV DVR
Xbox One
Xbox 360
PS3
Wii

Again not a ton of devices but finding which source goes with what which one turns up the volume or changes the channel, or even how to listen to music apparently is tough for the wife and kids to figure out.

I am not sold on any device as of yet but seems the mainstream remotes may be Logitech Harmony remotes so maybe the "one" or the "smart Control", i should mention that i have an Ipad on each floor so i use the Yamaha App to control my reciever currently. The smart control sounds like a cool option as well as having a simple remote for the kids to use...

Letme know your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-25-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2257 Post(s)
Liked: 985
Utlimate, Smart and Touch (plus Hub) are the only remotes that work with the Wii. The One is obsolete and won't work with the Wii. If the Wii isn't really a requirement, you have a lot more options.

Since you already use iPads, you may as well just get iRule and forget about Harmony.

FWIW, a $10 remote from Walmart can also accomplish your goal of simple input switching macros, volume punch through and channel lock. Just depends on how fancy you want to get, and on your budget.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-25-2014, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm using Smart with great success.
Upgraded from One which caused all sorts of phone calls from wife, babysitter or guests.

Simple remote is used 99% of the time.

Wife also likes iPhone and android app for times when kids misplace/hide the simple remote or she needs to lower volume from another room.

Panasonic TC-P55ST50
Onkyo HTX-22HDX HTIB(reciever)
Fios box
Roku 2XS
Wii

Activities
Watch TV
Watch Roku
Play Wii
Play music
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Yamaha Rx V671 Receiver , Xbox One Console Standard Edition , Wii , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page