AVS Forum banner

IR Extender recommendation?

7K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  impalanut 
#1 ·
Hi all- I was looking through the FAQ in this area but am hoping someone here can just say "buy this one". I am most comfortable following recommendations and my tech friends have no experience with this :)

My setup:
  1. remote: Logitech Harmony One
  2. tv: Vizio 60"
  3. receiver: Yamaha (in media closet), connected to in-wall speakers
  4. components: Mac mini, PS4 (in media closet)
  5. extra: I have an ethernet cable running to the TV from the media closet, in case it was needed for the IR extender

My priorities for the IR extender:
  • less than $100
  • as invisible as possible in my home theater
  • self powered, or really long battery life

I know the PS4 and Mac Mini are not controlled via the remote. My bluetooth keyboard and PS4 controllers reach into the media closet on their own. The desired usage for this extender is controlling the volume on my receiver and switching between the different component configurations.

So, all that said, what do you recommend?

Thanks for your time-

cgs

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
I have purchased two of these marvelous devices.

I have two long cabinets either side of my projector and because of this most of my IR devices were out of range or off angle to receive the signal from my Harmony remote so I purchased the below and so far I have used 14 out of the 16 emitters supplied.

The two separate units I purchased have solved my problem 100%. The control units are powered by a power pack you plug into your power point or like in my case they are powered by a 5 Volt USB port which I have 4 on my power board
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/IR-Remote-Extender-8-Emitters-1-Receiver-Infrared-Repeater-System-Kit-DC-Adapter-/400644970489?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item5d484d17f9

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Free-shipping-IR-Infrared-Repeater-Remote-Extender-Emitter-8-emitters-3-receiver-/170966440815?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item27ce64db6f

#4 ·
Price range for the above is $19 to $50 AUS yet all are Exactly the same so do your homework to buy the cheapest with free posting

Also if the lead is short between the receiver and the control unit all you have to do is buy (ebay) a whatever length 3.5mm stereo lead Male/Female and the problem is solved.

#8 ·
+1 on the monoprice unit. Works well on all my units including dual band directv hdr. Only real issue is the concave IR eye on the direct unit. The emitter Sometimes pops off. A me complain you can get additional emitters alacarte but since it only costs $17,i bought a second one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramshackle  /t/1521731/ir-extender-recommendation#post_24488823

How long a run of 3.5mm cable can these support? In my yet-to-be-built theater I will probably have a 20+ foot run from receiver to emitter. Will that still work?

I don't have specific knowledge of these extenders, but IR is hugely forgiving - you can do extender runs of multiple tens of feet without any fear of signal degradation, etc. I have a couple of runs approaching 40' in my own home theater. 20'+ should not give any problems whatsoever.

#11 ·
Hey Guys. I just added a receiver under the cabinet and a TV Above the fireplace and my remote for the TV and cable don't work unless I leave cabinet open!

I bought this on AMAZON. Haven't tried it yet, but you swap ONE battery for one of their special batterys and it turns your remote into an IR receiver.

1,900+ people at 4.8 Stars, so I figured it is pretty damn good! if anyone has one, let me know. haben't used it yet!

Link:

http://www.amazon.com/Next-Generation-Remote-Control-Extender/dp/B000C1Z0HA/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1397969539&sr=1-9&keywords=xantech+ir+repeater+kit

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoupebandit  /t/1521731/ir-extender-recommendation#post_24626355

Hey Guys. I just added a receiver under the cabinet and a TV Above the fireplace and my remote for the TV and cable don't work unless I leave cabinet open!

I bought this on AMAZON. Haven't tried it yet, but you swap ONE battery for one of their special batterys and it turns your remote into an IR receiver.

1,900+ people at 4.8 Stars, so I figured it is pretty damn good! if anyone has one, let me know. haben't used it yet!

Link:

http://www.amazon.com/Next-Generation-Remote-Control-Extender/dp/B000C1Z0HA/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1397969539&sr=1-9&keywords=xantech+ir+repeater+kit
I've been using one for several years and couldn't be more satisfied, great product.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF  /t/1521731/ir-extender-recommendation#post_24490967

I don't have specific knowledge of these extenders, but IR is hugely forgiving - you can do extender runs of multiple tens of feet without any fear of signal degradation, etc. I have a couple of runs approaching 40' in my own home theater. 20'+ should not give any problems whatsoever.

I am currently running one at 120' from Monoprice without any issues. It is the best value for IR repeater that I could find and I looked far and wide.

#15 ·
Thanks guys! I got all my Gear 6 weeks ago and haven't set it up yet! I am just about ready! Mitsubishi 6030 projector, Oppo 103, Rythmik FV15 Subs (2 of them!), Dennon 4000, 2 Tower speakers, center channel, and 4 Butt Kickers (forgot the name fo the ones I got, not the cheap $42, the cheap $109 ones.)

#16 ·
So if I understand it correctly, I can use the IR extenders with the eye by the tv , run the wire for the distribution block to the closet, tape the repeaters to the IR inputs. Then I can use all the original remotes or do I have to use a universal remote.
I am not looking to reduce the remotes and have to reprogram, I just want to be able to operate the devices in the closet (cable box, reciever, dvd player, and karaoke equipment)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.