RCRP05BR and 7MC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-08-2014, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Howdy everyone,

I went and bought the cheap SANOXY® Wireless USB PC Remote Control Mouse for PC off amazon for $4.50. It works but isn't too sensitive and lacks functions. The reviews on amazon said throw the remote away and keep the ir receiver.

I bought the rca rcrp05br after reading the glowing reviews on here. I got it to learn functions from the sanoxy and the arrow keys and pause works great. But I am looking to program a button to be the green wmc button and maybe another to open the guide. Is there any way to do this with my setup? Can I enter a code in the rca? Or maybe install some software that will recognize my keypress and I can turn that into a keyboard shortcut?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-08-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbow513 View Post

Howdy everyone,

I went and bought the cheap SANOXY® Wireless USB PC Remote Control Mouse for PC off amazon for $4.50. It works but isn't too sensitive and lacks functions. The reviews on amazon said throw the remote away and keep the ir receiver.

I bought the rca rcrp05br after reading the glowing reviews on here. I got it to learn functions from the sanoxy and the arrow keys and pause works great. But I am looking to program a button to be the green wmc button and maybe another to open the guide. Is there any way to do this with my setup? Can I enter a code in the rca? Or maybe install some software that will recognize my keypress and I can turn that into a keyboard shortcut?

Thanks!
The RCRP05B is fine. But you got the wrong cheap PC remote for that. While yours is designed for PC control, it's not designed specifically for WMC control like other slightly more expensive ones. So many functions and capabilities are missing that a WMC user needs.

This is the one you should have gotten. It does everything, including Green button and Guide:

.. or any remote that mentions MCE or RC6 protocols. In that case, you can even use built-in code DVD 1972 and not have to do any learning at all.

Yours doesn't.

You could do a shortcut for the Green button by simply making a shortcut to WMC on the desktop, R-click, Properties, enter the desired key under Shortcut Key (Ctrl+Alt+A, Ctrl+Alt+1 or Ctrl+Alt+F1, which works with the first hotkey on the Sanoxy). But you can't do anything about Guide, as far as I know. I don't think Lirc or iMon work with that dongle. If I were you, I'd accept that you've blown $5 and can fix it with $12 more. I did exactly the same thing, trying to save a few bucks.

If you want some interesting reading on our adventures trying to figure out Sanoxy's weird protocol and our ultimate failure finding a Green Button code, check this out:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10564&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

BTW, your RCRP05B can also be programmed from your computer (no learning required) if you get a cable like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330809610323
But that won't fix this particular problem. Only a different IR dongle will.
Reply Remote Control Area