Which Harmony? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-24-2014, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Based on my research, Harmony One is the best universal remote Logitech made. I cannot find a new or refurbished Harmony One locally in Toronto.   I saw a few used and refurbished ones in eBay but the prices were not too good when shipping and custom charges were added.  

I found a refurbished Harmony 1100 locally for $150CAN.   The new Ultimate One is $250CAN with new hardware while the 1100 is 5 years old.  

I have a hard time deciding which ine to get.   Any comments are appreciated.   My current remote is the Harmony 700.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2014, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If you have line of sight and more than 8 devices then the One is a great buy, if you can find one to purchase. There are plenty on Craig's List, with no buyers, in Vancouver selling for $100+. Personally I don't know their condition.
I, personally, am not enamored with the ONE because of its lack of actual physical red, blue etc buttons, which I usually map for other convenient uses.
I have 8 devices and love my 650 and 900. Although I have line of sight I prefer using the 900 because I hate pointing the remote for a full minute or two. But that's my personal preference. The main drawback, to some, is the 900 does not do sequences which I never use.

I briefly owned a Ultimate and Smart. While both worked very well I found the layout on the Ultimate takes some getting used to. Thus I kept hitting the screen accidentally. I'm certain if I kept it longer I would like it. Personally I find the hub based new Logitech remotes temperamental with frequent disconnects from the router. The Smart hand held has very small buttons, no backlight, help feature but price wise its probably the best bang for the buck, if you get one on sale and 8 devices, and like using another ipad/android hand held. Still has flaky disconnects of the hub.

I find that remotes are very personal.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Mis3,

What's wrong with your 700? It's better than the One in some respects; long sequences, colored buttons, slimmer, better tactile feedback, lower price. It has fewer devices, but that's about the only drawback.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Nothing wrong with the H700. It is getting old so I like to upgrade to a higher model and according my research, H1 is legendary. I actually was not aware of the missing colored buttons in the H1.

I was thinking of the newer Harmony remotes like Ultimate One but decided against them because of the lack of buttons.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mis3 View Post

Nothing wrong with the H700. It is getting old so I like to upgrade to a higher model and according my research, H1 is legendary. I actually was not aware of the missing colored buttons in the H1.

I was thinking of the newer Harmony remotes like Ultimate One but decided against them because of the lack of buttons.
The One was very popular. But it's older than the 700 and would only be an upgrade in number of devices, and a downgrade in other areas. The One is missing colored buttons because it's obsolete and outdated. You'll gain nothing if you buy a One besides more room in your wallet. IMO, you should keep what you've got. Replacing a perfectly good 700 with a One is going backwards. The One does have a touchscreen, but I consider that a drawback. I personally wouldn't spend a couple of hundred bucks on remotes every few years. I still have 15 year old remotes that work fine. If it ain't broke...

That said, the 700 is also obsolete, but it's years newer than the One and just about the last rechargeable Harmony model you'll find that has a full set of buttons, as you already know. If you're itching to buy a new toy, have a look at the Smart Control.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

H1 was launched on Jan-2008 and H700 was Sept-2009.

Now I am not sure about the H1 because of the lack of colored buttons.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

H1 was launched on Jan-2008 and H700 was Sept-2009.

Now I am not sure about the H1 because of the lack of colored buttons.
If your heart is set on the One, you can just put the colored buttons on the screen. Or just get a 900, which is identical to the One except it does have colored buttons, RF and no sequence macro capability.

You might also be interested in the One Plus which was released just a few years ago. It works with the latest Harmony config software and has a cheaper display.

I'd still be hesitant to replace a 4.5 year old remote with a 6 year old one. The iPhone 1 was a "legendary" phone, but I wouldn't replace my iPhone 3 with one.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

If your heart is set on the One, you can just put the colored buttons on the screen. Or just get a 900, which is identical to the One except it does have colored buttons, RF and no sequence macro capability.

I did look at the H900 and I don't care much for the RF. My TV stand is an open stand that all the devices are in the line of sight to my sitting area. One of my pet peeves is cabling, I do not want extra cables ( IR hub and blasters) unless they are absolutely necessary. Also, I read that he RF of the H900 is temperamental.

Don't know why I overlooked the colored buttons. On a fast glance, H1 and H700 look identical. I would think that H1, being a higher model, would have all the features of the H700. I somehow neglected the fact that H700 came out 1.5 years after the H1.

I guess it would be OK if I can program the colored buttons on the touch-screen.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I did look at the H900 and I don't care much for the RF. My TV stand is an open stand that all the devices are in the line of sight to my sitting area. One of my pet peeves is cabling, I do not want extra cables ( IR hub and blasters) unless they are absolutely necessary.

Don't know why I overlooked the colored buttons. On a fast glance, H1 and H700 look identical. I would think that H1, being a higher model, would have all the features of the H700. I somehow neglected the fact that H700 came out 1.5 years after the H1.

I guess it would be OK if I can program the colored buttons on the touch-screen.
You don't have to actually use RF on the 900. It works fine as an IR only remote. You may even save some money if you find a used one that's missing the RF base and blasters.

If cost is an issue, the 650 is identical to the 700 besides being rechargeable. And the 600 is identical to the 650 except the display is monochrome and it has 3 fewer devices.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

I checked last night with my H700 and definitely, the lack of colored buttons is a deal-breaking.

I tried to look for a H900 locally and a seller is selling an used one for $250. This is more than I expected to pay for an old remote.

I think I may not have a choice but to consider the Ultimate One. The Touch has no motion sensor, this is important to me because I usually watch TV in the dark. I am not in a rush, I will wait for sales of Ultimate One.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

So colored buttons are more important than skip fwd / skip back buttons, which are missing on the Ultimate? I don't know about you, but I use skip buttons more than any others. Granted they have workarounds like long presses and gestures, but that simply doesn't cut it for me.

Any button press will turn on the backlight on the Touch, so lack of motion sensor isn't really a problem.

If you are open to anything besides Harmony, I think the Xsight Touch is pretty much perfect and only $40 shipped worldwide on ebay. It has all the same hard buttons as the One plus colored buttons, touch screen, recharegable battery and charging stand, motion sensor, stellar battery life, 18 devices, activity based web programming as well as excellent 3rd party programming tools should the website ever go offline. I have several of them. They run circles around every Harmony I've ever seen. You have complete control over the contents of all your macros (activity and sequence), ability to create and add your own custom devices, import pronto hex, locally backup and restore all configs, and have multiple favorites lists for any device (with channel logos).
Old 05-27-2014, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

I record 10-20 TV shows per week and I rely on the Page-Up/ Page-down (on the screen) and the hard colored buttons. If I have to put the colored buttons on the screen, I will have to flip back-and-forth screens to record a TV show.
As for the skip Fwd / Skip back functions, I read that you can acheive this by pressing the Fwd button longer.

I am surprised on the marketing decisons of Logitech. H1 and H900 are so sought-after that I would think they would consider producing them in up-to-date hardware!

As for the AR, I know them for high end audio equipment manufacturer many years ago. I can see that Xsight Touch looks similar to H1 but discontinued. Are they still making remotes? Do they have the 250,000 equipment library like Harmony?
Old 05-27-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

AR remotes are made by UEI, the one of the largest remote makers in the world, far larger than Logitech. Their database is larger than Harmony's, 330,000 at last count. UEI makes hundreds of millions of remotes worldwide as an OEM for many service providers and device makers. Their main consumer brand is One-For-All. Xsight is marketed under the OFA brand in Europe and Nevo in some other places.

I've been using UEI remotes since before Harmony existed and have never come across an IR device they couldn't control.

Most of the other remotes you're considering are discontinued, so I didn't think that was a problem.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

As per your suggestion, I looked into this Xsight Touch. Canada Computer sells it for $170CAN with only 30 days warranty and no IR hub/ blasters. No return and it may be a demo or display unit. As for online purchase, you never know what you are getting especially for used items.

This Xsight Touch is 5 years old as well. Do they make any newer remotes? Funny that Harmony used the same name (Touch) as their competitor.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

As per your suggestion, I looked into this Xsight Touch. Canada Computer sells it for $170CAN with only 30 days warranty and no IR hub/ blasters. No return and it may be a demo or display unit. As for online purchase, you never know what you are getting especially for used items.

This Xsight Touch is 5 years old as well. Do they make any newer remotes? Funny that Harmony used the same name (Touch) as their competitor.
Xsight from China is $40 shipped worldwide. Many of us have had great experience with that vendor. I've bought 4 myself and all have been practically mint. They make new models as well, but like Harmony, they aren't nearly as good as the old ones.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Xsight from China is $40 shipped worldwide. Many of us have had great experience with that vendor. I've bought 4 myself and all have been practically mint. They make new models as well, but like Harmony, they aren't nearly as good as the old ones.

if you don''t mind, can you provide the link?
Old 05-27-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Old 05-27-2014, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191124154395

Thanks. I will check it out later.

I sure learned a lot about universal remotes in the last few days. More and more I appreciate my H700. It has been working well in the past 2-3years. The fact is I bought a new TV (kdl65w850a) with excellent PQ so I wanted upgrade my remote.

Too bad Logitech chose to forgo a winning layout like the H1 or H900. i am sure many of us would love to an upgraded version of H900 with better hardware, faster processor, better screen. Hope Logitech gives the people what they want eventually.