Remote for my needs: ProControl ?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-28-2014, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

I just recently moved in to a new place and have a bit of home automation setup with Loxone for controlling my lights, shutters, blinds and so on. The main problem is that the whole AV setup is not optimal and my wife struggles with the many remotes smile.gif

I have a TV, AV Receiver, Playstation (Blue ray), Cable box, Apple TV, sonos connected to AV receiver, and use the Samsung Smart TV for the Plex App which plays movies and TV videos from my NAS.

She gets confused using the different logitech remotes, TV remote to access smart hub and Cable box remote to see the TV guide and all shows. Second problem is the logitech remote is IR and needs line of sight. Sometimes line of sight is lost and 1 or 2 components are not turned on and then the whole thing is a nightmare.

An AV dealer recommended ProControl and said all can be done from the Ipad. This sounds like a dream and wanted to check if others have experience with this. Can procontrol control the smart hub from my Samsung Smart TV? Can it then access Plex and see all the movies to stream as well as the cable tv gude?

Thanks for the advice on a wife friendly setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-29-2014, 02:36 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 39

Cool thing.

It is a physical remote talking to its own receiver box over its own wireless codes, the box then sends out IR codes and maybe also wireless signals to control other stuff as programmed.

The box is controllable over network/wifi too.

The premium box also has a couple serial ports too (RS232), and I assume it can send controls over serial too.

Can do macros too (send a bunch of IR commands in a rapid succession, fast example, you turn on 5 devices by pressing only one button on the main remote, or jump the hops to do something hidden in submenus in a device).

How well it works depends from how well you can map the buttons on its remote and in the apps controlling it to IR codes of the original remotes, and if you can place it somewhere where it has line of sight to all stuff it controls over IR (it's the actual IR remote, it needs line of sight).

Another box! Yay!

Unless it's done very very poorly, I'd say it should deliver what it promises. It's not a particularly complex thing. Just a universal programmable remote done right. Also networked. Using cheap home router hardware as a "brain" in the main box allows it to be outrageously better than conventional universal programmable remotes.

A DIY project with a similar result (kinda) is this raspberry pi project http://blog.riyas.org/2014/01/raspberry-pi-ir-blaster-control-your.html

and then using an iOS app like this http://www.mbpowertools.net/iDevices/WiFiRemote.html on the apple device used as a remote.

Maybe you can bend Loxone to do something of that kind too if it has IR emitters and can learn IR commands from a remote and can be interfaced with such apps, as that's all ProControl offers, apart from good-looking hardware anyway.

post #3 of 9 Old 05-29-2014, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Pro control is made by RTI who is among the top players in the industry. RTI branded stuff does allow for more expandability but the pro control line is plenty powerful.
Most of it comes down the the programming work done by the integrator. A wonderful interface can be designed to make controlling it all simple. Not all devices support discrete codes (say for example a separate code for on and off instead of shared code which makes it hard to ensure the device is one and off when it needs to be) so that could be a concern depending on what products your trying to control. But the main answer is yes it can work and no more pointing the remote at devices. It can be done wirelessly with
post #4 of 9 Old 05-29-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerard143 View Post
Not all devices support discrete codes (say for example a separate code for on and off instead of shared code which makes it hard to ensure the device is one and off when it needs to be) so that could be a concern depending on what products your trying to control.

It's simple as mapping two buttons to the same code. As long as you can have it read the code you can map it.

In any case I'm not trusting this to work reliably over the internet or on a schedule while none is watching (devices it is controlling can error, lockup or reboot on their own and if you don't see the screen you have no way of knowing what is happening, and react if your commands failed), but as long as there is a human looking at the TV screen I'd say it's perfectly fine.

post #5 of 9 Old 05-29-2014, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
It's not that simple when you have macros.... Scenes... System variable tests...status checks...etc and want a reliable system. Not having discretes blows
post #6 of 9 Old 05-30-2014, 12:16 AM

Here the unreliability comes from the other devices anyway. There is no way I'm trusting anything on a 1-way communication to do things remotely, discrete or shared IR codes.

I think it's possible to connect a webcam to an AppleTV... maybe you can use that to see what is happening when you control stuff remotely (webcam looking at the TV and devices, streaming to your remote workstation where you also are connected to the ProControl box through the internet).

But admittedly this is a very geeky setup. 99% of the times you will be in front of the TV and this will be unnecessary. As long as the devices don't share the same IR codes you can do decent macros anyway.

post #7 of 9 Old 05-31-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 346
1-way RF has been 100% reliable for me for at least 15 years. TOADs are easily handled in code. No webcams or serial cables required.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 9 Old 05-31-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

1-way RF has been 100% reliable for me for at least 15 years. TOADs are easily handled in code. No webcams or serial cables required.

I've seen plenty of devices that threw errors or asked things at random moments that were just annoyances if in front of the screen, but were show-stoppers if you wanted to remote-control the device from a distant location without seeing the screen.

post #9 of 9 Old 06-20-2014, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerard143 View Post
Pro control is made by RTI who is among the top players in the industry. RTI branded stuff does allow for more expandability but the pro control line is plenty powerful.<br>
Most of it comes down the the programming work done by the integrator. A wonderful interface can be designed to make controlling it all simple. Not all devices support discrete codes (say for example a separate code for on and off instead of shared code which makes it hard to ensure the device is one and off when it needs to be) so that could be a concern depending on what products your trying to control. But the main answer is yes it can work and no more pointing the remote at devices. It can be done wirelessly with
I use a Loxone IR extension to control Samsung TV and Dish receiver and apple TV. I have single button for news channel to come on and turn everything on. I also see the someone has controlled Plex using Loxone
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page