switch receiver inputs in standby mode, harmony remote - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-10-2014, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have a harmony 900 and a harmony one. they both work great except for the fact that i cant change inputs on my yamaha rx-a1020 when its in standby mode. so if im using pandora and switch back to = watch tv, it will put my receiver into standby mode but wont switch the inputs back to the right input for watching tv. also if im watching tv and want to play my ps3 i cant switch inputs, not unless my receiver is on watch tv and yamaha. how do i add the receiver to watch tv without having to turn the receiver on, being able to operate it in standby mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-10-2014, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod351 View Post

i have a harmony 900 and a harmony one. they both work great except for the fact that i cant change inputs on my yamaha rx-a1020 when its in standby mode. so if im using pandora and switch back to = watch tv, it will put my receiver into standby mode but wont switch the inputs back to the right input for watching tv. also if im watching tv and want to play my ps3 i cant switch inputs, not unless my receiver is on watch tv and yamaha. how do i add the receiver to watch tv without having to turn the receiver on, being able to operate it in standby mode.

I'm not sure I understand your question fully; specifically the part about "being able to operate it in standby mode".

I think you mean how do I use the Yamaha as an input selector? This can be done, but may seem a bit tricky. So, a few questions first:

1) Are you using the Harmony 7.7.0 software?

2) What Activities do you have set up on the Harmony?

3) What devices do you have?

4) What Activities actually use the Yamaha, and which do you want it to be only an input selector?

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I bought all this "stuff" to enjoy it!
post #3 of 9 Old 06-10-2014, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

7.7.0 up software. i have a activity of watch tv, also watch tv with yamaha, and more activities. problem is if im using flash drive and yamaha, which uses the flash drive input on my tv but the av4 digital input on my yamaha for sound, when i click to just watch tv my yamaha wont switch back to input av2 because my yamaha isnt included in my watch tv. my receiver is included in watch tv and yamaha. same if im playing a video game, input av4 on receiver, if i then go to just watch tv it will turn my receiver off but cant switch it back to input av2. id like to be able to being watching my tv without the receiver on and switch to input av4 for playing games with my receiver in standby mode. in other words id like to be able to control my yamaha inputs with it in standby mode. this doesnt seem like a option that harmony has included in it setup as of yet. would be nice to say = watch my tv and then click on ps3 as a added button and have my receiver switch to input av4 with it in standby mode. right now im using s old harmony 600 for switching it while in standby mode. ive read some ways of doing it but havent figured any of them out. hope im making myself clear.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-10-2014, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Your receiver can't switch inputs if it is in standby or powered off.

Any activity that uses the Yamaha, has to have the Yamaha included as a device. The input switching is done when changing activities and the receiver is on.

Your Watch TV w/Yamaha activity needs to power up the TV, power up the Yamaha and then set the Yamaha to the correct input.

Your Play Video Game activity also needs to power up the TV, power up the Yamaha and then set the Yamaha to the correct input.

You can set your Watch TV (without Yamaha) to send a power off command to the Yamaha. This way, if the Yamaha is on, it will turn off. If it is already off, it will stay off.

Lastly, you set the remotes to power everything off with the off button.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-10-2014, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

it can switch inputs in standby mode. i use a harmony 600 to do that. thats a nice feature of it. unfortunately it isnt easy to add that feature to watch tv without adding the receiver as being on. if i had the option of adding it but having it off then id be set.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-10-2014, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod351 View Post

it can switch inputs in standby mode. i use a harmony 600 to do that. thats a nice feature of it. unfortunately it isnt easy to add that feature to watch tv without adding the receiver as being on. if i had the option of adding it but having it off then id be set.

OK. So here's how you do this. For any activity that uses the receiver and changes the input, add a task when the activity ends to change it back to the input you want before shutting off the receiver.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-12-2014, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod351 View Post
I do have to ask; what is the problem with leaving the AVR "On" for the Activity?

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I bought all this "stuff" to enjoy it!
post #8 of 9 Old 06-12-2014, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

nothing, if i want to listen to sound from my av receiver all the time. there is a reason that my receiver has that capability. so i can switch inputs without having to have it on. anyway i figure it out. learned a command, couple of them. now i can switch inputs while its in standby mode with no problems.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-15-2014, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

ok, i finally figured it out. i added a sequence to my harmony one then use that to learn a command to my harmony 900, why they eliminated add a sequence on the harmony900 i dont know. but now it works. it took a couple of tries but it works. now if i can figure out how to trick the harmony into switching the inputs on the receiver when i start my watch tv id be set. it will switch the tv on and have it on HDMI but doesnt switch the receiver to AV2, once the the touch screen is up i have watch tv on it and i can touch it and it will switch the receiver to AV2. im sure there is a way to do this. but im getting there with it.
Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page