Strange problem with MRF-260 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-19-2014, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Strange problem with MRF-260

I've had an issue with my URC setup for a while which I always assumed was interference, but now it seems like something potentially more basic. I'm using an MX-1200 with a single MRF-260 that controls:

Denon 3311 (electrical cable)
Panasonic ZT60 (IR stickon)
Tivo Roamio (IR stickon)
Oppo 103D (electrical cable)

I have no trouble using the system with the Roamio, everything works well and I control the TV, the Receiver, and the Roamio all through the MRF-260.

But, if I start my Oppo macro/task, everything starts up fine and I can control the Oppo with the remote (still may need to tune the repeats as I sometimes need to press a button twice), but while working with that task I cannot send any signals to either the Receiver or the TV.

I used to have the same problem when I had a PS3 in the loop and was using the Logitech PS3 adapter. Whenever I was using the PS3, I couldn't control any of the other devices. At the time, I assumed that the PS3 was just putting out too much noise and the receiver was not receiving the signals from the remote. I never bothered to debug that as I never used the PS3 much (with the remote), but I'm getting the same symptoms with the Oppo now and I use that much more.

I would still believe it was interference, but when I send a command to the TV, I can clearly see the IR sender blinking on the TV. Signals are being sent to the TV, but they just don't register. It's hard to say if signals are being sent to the Receiver since it is using an electrical connection and so there is nothing that blinks when it gets a signal. Also, worth noting, is that I cannot send any signals to the Roamio in this state either (starting the Roamio task/macro doesn't power on the Roamio).

If I turn off the Oppo using its front panel power button, then suddenly all other device connections start working again.

So, is this still potentially interference even though I can see the signals getting to the TV's IR stick-on? Is a Blu-ray laser a prime candidate for causing the interference (seeing as it happened with both my PS3 and my Oppo)?

Is there a way that the electrical connection that I've been using to connect to the Oppo (and the Logitech PS3 adapter before that) could be blowing the MRF-260's mind when that device is powered on?

I've seen a lot of recommendations to stay away from the 260 and go for the MRF-350 instead and I'm pretty close to just trying that solution, but I'm wondering if there are other things to try before I bother swapping out what appears to be a perfectly working component other than this odd "IR signals aren't recognized when a 3rd component is on" issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-20-2014, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I would start by finding out if the Oppo uses a specialized cable for IR. The BDP-83 would not work with a standard 3.5mm stereo or mono cable. You had to buy a special cable from them to get the pin configuration correct. From what they said it could damage the unit if you used the wrong one.

The MRF-350 does have the advantage of better IR routing but I think this issue is with the connection to the Oppo.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-21-2014, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Thanks for the suggestions!

The cable for the BDP-83 is listed as not compatible with the 103 and the owners manual shows a fairly standard 3.5mm mono cable for the IR port on the 103 so that's probably not it, but I do note that the owners manual still has the "connecting to non-Oppo devices is unsupported and may cause damage" language that you refer to.

Tonight I'm going to pore over my CCP file and see if I've munged something about the setup (if my Windows Update ever finishes...)
post #4 of 6 Old 06-29-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Take the antennae off the MRF-260
post #5 of 6 Old 07-04-2014, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Make sure you are not using channel 0
post #6 of 6 Old 07-21-2014, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adk highlander View Post
I would start by finding out if the Oppo uses a specialized cable for IR. The BDP-83 would not work with a standard 3.5mm stereo or mono cable. You had to buy a special cable from them to get the pin configuration correct. From what they said it could damage the unit if you used the wrong one.

The MRF-350 does have the advantage of better IR routing but I think this issue is with the connection to the Oppo.
BDP103 is a standard 3.5mm mono cable. Also be aware that this disables the front IR input.

What exactly do you mean by not controlling the TV and AVR? Volume? Do you have custom buttons to control those devices within particular activities? More information is needed to guide you properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page