Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mdavej

post #1 of 4 Old 06-21-2014, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Harmony remote? Wireless kit? Please advise!

I would be very grateful if someone could offer some advice to the technologically challenged!

I'm moving into a new house that has a tv built into the wall, so I won't be able to connect my devices directly to the tv. I may end up putting my devices in a cabinet else where in the room or possibly in another room altogether. What is the best way to control these devices!?

Currently, Im running a cable box, blu ray, roku, and Xbox into a Yamaha V673 receiver via hdmi and sending that signal to my LCD via hdmi.

Could I get away with just purchasing a Harmony remote or will I need rf extenders? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

Last edited by Johnv6023; 06-21-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-23-2014, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnv6023 View Post
I would be very grateful if someone could offer some advice to the technologically challenged!

I'm moving into a new house that has a tv built into the wall, so I won't be able to connect my devices directly to the tv. I may end up putting my devices in a cabinet else where in the room or possibly in another room altogether. What is the best way to control these devices!?

Currently, Im running a cable box, blu ray, roku, and Xbox into a Yamaha V673 receiver via hdmi and sending that signal to my LCD via hdmi.

Could I get away with just purchasing a Harmony remote or will I need rf extenders? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance
Hi Johnv6023,

The Harmony Ultimate and Smart Control are both complete RF extender systems, and designed to control devices in cabinets.

The Ultimate and Smart Control remotes are paired with their Harmony Hub. Commands from the remote are sent to the hub via RF, which can travel through walls and doors. The hub is placed inside your cabinet and fires IR signals to your devices.

The IR mini blasters act as a miniature version of the hub and can be placed on individual shelves inside cabinets, or outside your cabinet, to control devices in your open room, such as your TV.

There are multiple non Harmony solutions out there too - but as a Logitech employee, I'll let other users tell you about those

Regards,

Sylvain

Last edited by HarmonySylvain; 06-23-2014 at 11:01 AM. Reason: typos
post #3 of 4 Old 08-12-2014, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmonySylvain View Post
Hi Johnv6023,

The Harmony Ultimate and Smart Control are both complete RF extender systems, and designed to control devices in cabinets.

The Ultimate and Smart Control remotes are paired with their Harmony Hub. Commands from the remote are sent to the hub via RF, which can travel through walls and doors. The hub is placed inside your cabinet and fires IR signals to your devices.

The IR mini blasters act as a miniature version of the hub and can be placed on individual shelves inside cabinets, or outside your cabinet, to control devices in your open room, such as your TV.

There are multiple non Harmony solutions out there too - but as a Logitech employee, I'll let other users tell you about those

Regards,

Sylvain
Thank you for getting back to me earlier! I know it has been some time since my question but it has taken awhile to get settled into our new house. I was wondering if you could answer one more question for me.

I have decided to go with the harmony smart control system for my setup. I now have 2 questions before purchasing. I will have the hub setup in my basement for my theater setup. I will have a cable box, receiver, blu ray player, and roku on a shelf with the hub which will sit behind my projector. Will I need to run an ir cable to my projector screen where I will point the remote? The distance from my shelf with my components and hub to the screen is about 25 feet. Should I buy any additional equipment to allow the smart control system to work? I am under the impression the ultimate is the only system with built in ir and smart control needs added ir support. Is this correct?

Secondly, and my main question at this point. I will also have a tv directly above this room on the main floor. I will have a cable box in a cabinet which will need the assistance of smart control as well. Is it possible to use the hub in the basement for this tv as well and just run a mini blaster to the cable box above . It will be a distance of about 12 feet. I would then buy a smart control universal remote only and avoid needing a second hub. Would this be possible or will it be necessary to have hubs both up and down controlling each setup independently?

I hope I explained this well enough. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks for your time!
post #4 of 4 Old 08-12-2014, 09:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnv6023 View Post
Thank you for getting back to me earlier! I know it has been some time since my question but it has taken awhile to get settled into our new house. I was wondering if you could answer one more question for me.

I have decided to go with the harmony smart control system for my setup. I now have 2 questions before purchasing. I will have the hub setup in my basement for my theater setup. I will have a cable box, receiver, blu ray player, and roku on a shelf with the hub which will sit behind my projector. Will I need to run an ir cable to my projector screen where I will point the remote? The distance from my shelf with my components and hub to the screen is about 25 feet. Should I buy any additional equipment to allow the smart control system to work? I am under the impression the ultimate is the only system with built in ir and smart control needs added ir support. Is this correct?

Secondly, and my main question at this point. I will also have a tv directly above this room on the main floor. I will have a cable box in a cabinet which will need the assistance of smart control as well. Is it possible to use the hub in the basement for this tv as well and just run a mini blaster to the cable box above . It will be a distance of about 12 feet. I would then buy a smart control universal remote only and avoid needing a second hub. Would this be possible or will it be necessary to have hubs both up and down controlling each setup independently?

I hope I explained this well enough. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks for your time!
I don't think the Smart Control is the smart choice for your systems. It's a smart choice for a single room with all devices in about the same place. It's also designed for users who don't mind using their phone to access additional functions. It has no screen for additional functions on the remote itself.

Upstairs it won't control anything without blasters. So you'll have to run a blaster for the cable box and another for the TV via an ugly wire going up the wall and a big ugly blaster stuck to the front of the TV. Not a very clean look for a wall mounted TV IMO. Whoever is downstairs won't be able to control anything because the remote will be in your hands upstairs, unless they use their iPhone.

Downstairs, every device must be line of sight with the hub or blasters. IR at your screen won't accomplish anything except possibly reaching the projector in the back of the room. There is never any aiming of the remote involved. The remote doesn't emit any kind of signal that an IR blaster would pick up. Blasters only receive signals from the hub and send out IR. The remote itself can't control anything directly. Every signal it sends goes through the hub first.

The Ultimate isn't the only remote that can send IR. The Smart is the only remote that CAN'T send IR. Every other consumer remote on the planet can send IR.

If I were you I'd get anything but the Smart control, and I'd get a dedicated remote system for each room. Besides, it sounds like you're already at the Smart's 8 device limit anyway. And I hope you're handy with electrical stuff because you have you figure out how to run a minimum of 4 blasters several places in 2 rooms. The Smart comes with one blaster, IIRC. Here's one helpful tip for you. Diodes need a certain voltage to operate, so wire all additional blasters in parallel. A different system would come with all the blasters you need and eliminate the need for some blasters entirely. Worst case you'd only need to splice in some extra wire to make the leads longer.
Johnv6023 likes this.

Last edited by mdavej; 08-12-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Reply Remote Control Area