Are Harmony Ultimate as laggy as Harmony One? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-04-2014, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Are Harmony Ultimate as laggy as Harmony One?

Hi,

I got the Logitech Harmony One and it got to much lag. I have tried to set the delay times, even Logitech suport have helped me but it is not good enouth. At this point it misset alot of clicks, before this last setting it was dubble hitting a lot.

This is the same for all devices I got.

So, is the Harmony Ultimate as laggy as the other Harmony remotes?

BestRegards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-06-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I have not noticed any timing issues with my Ultimate remote with hub and I have 14 devices programmed into it. I have not adjusted any of the button delays. I may try adding some delay for my Directv receiver. The higher up channels with three digits sometime don't come out right. The remote sends the commands too quickly when using the favorite channel buttons. So there really isn't any lag problem like you say. In fact its a tad to quick sending the numbers. Only noticed this with the favorite buttons tho. All my activities and I have a lot of them work perfectly every time.

Ron
post #3 of 6 Old 07-08-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Similar for me. A number of devices and no real issues. Have not had to tweak any timing.

I had read about delays/lag issues when I was doing some research to set up XBMC on my home theater PC but I think they were also for an older remote version as recently no one has posted about such issues and I didn't encounter any.

I like the remote that I'd give it a shot providing it meets your needs. No regrets whatsoever.

Panasonic 65" VT60 (calibrated by Jeff Meier), Marantz 6005, Kef Q towers/rears Kef Reference center, Win 7 Pro with XBMC, Harmony Ultimate One
Xbox Live: Arbitrage XXL
post #4 of 6 Old 07-08-2014, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Hi,

I have now tested the Ultimate for a couple of day and by using the Microsoft Media Center device f├Âr XBMC it works as good as a regular MCE remote. Its vary fast, not to be compared to the One.

The only think I really dont like is the placement of the play and rewind buttons(above the touchscreen). Changing grip is a big NO. Im thinking of switching to the smart remote instead, the problem is that it might be to simple to handle all my stuff :

Devices
TV - Panasonic Panasonic TC-P65ST60
Receiver- Yamaha RX A1020
Blu-ray - Panasonic DMP-BDT110
TVBox(controls TV channels) - Sagem HD104C
XBMC - Intel NUC (Microsoft Media Center Extender)
Console nr1 - XBOX360
Console nr2 - XBOX360

Activities
TV - TV, Receiver and TVBox
Bluray - TV, Receiver and Blu-ray
XBOX 1 - TV, Receiver and XBOX360 nr 1
XBOX 2 - TV, Receiver and XBOX360 nr 2
Mediaplayer - TV, Receiver and XBMC
Radio FM - Receiver
Net Radio - Receiver
post #5 of 6 Old 07-14-2014, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjim View Post
Hi,

I got the Logitech Harmony One and it got to much lag. I have tried to set the delay times, even Logitech suport have helped me but it is not good enouth. At this point it misset alot of clicks, before this last setting it was dubble hitting a lot.

This is the same for all devices I got.

So, is the Harmony Ultimate as laggy as the other Harmony remotes?

BestRegards

When I was trying to figure out the lag issue, here's what a Harmony rep told me:

"With all Harmony remotes there is a set 50ms to 100ms delay that happens between any and all commands due to it being to the way we implement the codes on the remote. Therefore it will almost never get down to a true 0ms delay as a hard-coded and built OEM remote is. This buffering (or queuing up) of commands cannot be controlled. It's just the way the hardware, firmware and software of the remote interact. In later Harmony models we were able to improve that internal delay starting from the 1100, to the 900, 700 and now 650, 600 & 300. Unfortunately, the prior line of remotes up to and including the Harmony One are more prone to noticing these "buffering" or bursting of commands"

I ended up ditching Logitech all together and going with URC. The speed feels just like a native remote.

Check out my WAF approved living room theater

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1526916/my...-1-living-room
post #6 of 6 Old 07-15-2014, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
When I was trying to figure out the lag issue, here's what a Harmony rep told me:

"With all Harmony remotes there is a set 50ms to 100ms delay that happens between any and all commands due to it being to the way we implement the codes on the remote. Therefore it will almost never get down to a true 0ms delay as a hard-coded and built OEM remote is. This buffering (or queuing up) of commands cannot be controlled. It's just the way the hardware, firmware and software of the remote interact. In later Harmony models we were able to improve that internal delay starting from the 1100, to the 900, 700 and now 650, 600 & 300. Unfortunately, the prior line of remotes up to and including the Harmony One are more prone to noticing these "buffering" or bursting of commands"

I ended up ditching Logitech all together and going with URC. The speed feels just like a native remote.
Thanks,

I have been playing around with the Logitech Harmony Ultimate and smart. By choosing the correct device and lowering the delay time I now have a remote that acts as fast as the original remote. Logitech have been on my account to fix the lag as good as possible on my Harmony One but there is still a big diffrence.

Yes there is still a bit of delay in XBMC but it is there also for the Logitech blutooth keyboard so its not completely the remotes problem.

Also, I got a Panasonic ST60 that ads another 80 ms to the delay(if not set in gamemode).

There may be a built in delay on about 50-100ms but that will hardly be noticed if the rest of the system is up to speed. You are not playing games with the remote. Becides, even the original remote for XBMC have some lag so I supose that the XBMC is simply a bit laggy(in main menu).
Reply Remote Control Area
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page