1Likes
  • 1 Post By lovebuzz#836

post #1 of 3 Old 07-04-2014, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pronto Edit 4 on Windows 8.1

I'm using Pronto Edit 4 (for my TSU-1000 remote) on Windows 8.1. It worked under Windows 7, but on Windows 8.1, it doesn't see my com port, so I can't connect to my remote.

I'm using a USB to Serial adapter. The adapter works with other devices, and it shows up as Com 3 in the Windows Device Manager, but Pronto Edit 4 doesn't see it. Again, this configuration (same USB to Serial Adapter on this same PC) worked with Pronto Edit 4 under Windows 7, and it works under Windows 8.1 when connecting to other RS-232 devices. It's just that Pronto Edit 4 doesn't recognize it as a Com port (whereas other software programs do recognize it as a Com port) on Win 8.1.

I've tried running Pronto Edit 4 in compatibility mode (tried both Win 7 mode and Win XP mode), and I've tried running it as Administrator, all with no success. I've also tried uninstalling and then reinstalling Pronto Edit 4.

I'm trying to avoid reinstalling Win 7 (as either dual boot or a VM), and I'd rather not install an actual RS-232 card if I can avoid it (the last one I had wasn't compatible with Win 8.1, so I had to remove it).

Anyone else run into this and find a solution? Any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-05-2014, 02:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgndave View Post
I'm using Pronto Edit 4 (for my TSU-1000 remote) on Windows 8.1. It worked under Windows 7, but on Windows 8.1, it doesn't see my com port, so I can't connect to my remote.

I'm using a USB to Serial adapter. The adapter works with other devices, and it shows up as Com 3 in the Windows Device Manager, but Pronto Edit 4 doesn't see it. Again, this configuration (same USB to Serial Adapter on this same PC) worked with Pronto Edit 4 under Windows 7, and it works under Windows 8.1 when connecting to other RS-232 devices. It's just that Pronto Edit 4 doesn't recognize it as a Com port (whereas other software programs do recognize it as a Com port) on Win 8.1.

I've tried running Pronto Edit 4 in compatibility mode (tried both Win 7 mode and Win XP mode), and I've tried running it as Administrator, all with no success. I've also tried uninstalling and then reinstalling Pronto Edit 4.

I'm trying to avoid reinstalling Win 7 (as either dual boot or a VM), and I'd rather not install an actual RS-232 card if I can avoid it (the last one I had wasn't compatible with Win 8.1, so I had to remove it).

Anyone else run into this and find a solution? Any other ideas?
It has been years since I've had a Pronto, but iirc the Pronto Edit software was looking for COM1 designations for the units. I don't have Windows 8.1, but changing the COM port on it shouldn't be too different than this:

http://plugable.com/2011/07/04/how-t...r-on-windows-7
sgndave likes this.

831 Blu-ray Discs
70 HD DVD Discs
796 DVD's

post #3 of 3 Old 07-05-2014, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That was it! You're awesome! I changed it to Com 1, and it works perfectly. Nowhere in the documentation does it mention that limitation. I don't even need to set compatibility mode or run as administrator. Thanks so much!
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page