Looking for a WiFi enabled learning remote that doesn't cost half my tv. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-08-2014, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Looking for a WiFi enabled learning remote that doesn't cost half my tv.

Like the title states, I am looking for a learning universal remote that supports WiFi. Google returns almost nothing but smartphone apps. I have a Vizio m551d-a2r. If anyone has this tv, they know that you HAVE to point the remote at the lower left of the TV, not the middle of the screen, but exactly at the lower left corner for the IR to work. As a secondary, these TV's have built-in WiFi support and a WiFi enabled remote. I have yet to find a universal remote that replaces wifi remotes(I have seen wifi remotes that use a seperate module and a bunch of IR blasters, but that's messy for an open-display setup). I see people talking about the MX5000 but $450 for a used one is steep. I'm in a rental, I can't configure my lights and curtains to be controlled by a remote. I'm sorry if I'm too unknowledgeable about universals. My last one was a URC MX500 which I loved because of the macro's you can set and the LCD. My main issue right now is I'm using ARC and my Vizio wont automatically switch my RX-v371 to the ARC input when I go to Netflix, so I have to find the Yamaha remote to change it because I usually use my Vizio remote. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-08-2014, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Why not just get a simple repeater system (one sensor, power block, one emitter) to feed the TV? That's pretty easy to hide. Then use your IR remote of choice?
post #3 of 3 Old 07-08-2014, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
All handheld WiFi remote solutions are going to be as you would say "half the cost of your TV" or more. Almost all of which aren't DIY.

If you want a less expensive you need to look into iOS or Android based options.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page