Harmony 650 or Xsite Plus (urc8620) or ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-22-2014, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Harmony 650 or Xsite Plus (urc8620) or ?

I owe a harmony 785 but buttons started failing and fixing them doesn't seem to last to long, issue with the cradle seem to be common for this product. I want to buy something around 50E which takes me to the harmony 650 or the oneforall Xsite plus. I would go for the harmony cause I'm not sure what to expect from the Xsite (except what I read in some reviews) but my previous remote wasn't very reliable considering the price and I want to hear any other opinions or suggestions.
My devices: Samsung UE46ES6100, Yamaha RX-V373, WMC PC, Lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-22-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 484
I have a lot of experience with both, so here's my 2 cents:

Harmony 650 is going to be easier to use and program than the Plus and be more familiar to you since all Harmony remotes work essentially the same. It's also much more reliable than your old Harmony. The Plus is alright and now works great with Remote Master. But, the on-screen functions are awkward to use since you have to scroll through the functions rather than access them directly. If you can find it very cheap, then it would be worth it. Another option is the Xsight Touch on ebay, which runs less than 40E. It's a far better remote than the 650 or Plus since it does 18 devices, RF, has a touch screen with 6 functions per page and has more programming capabilities. It also works with Remote Master (meaning no dependence on a website for programming, plus the ability to do unlimited backups/restores of any configuration, and many other features the web based programming doesn't offer).
post #3 of 10 Old 07-23-2014, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

Most of Xsight touch are used on ebay (except some guy who is selling 3 new ones quite cheap if its not a scam) I don't think they make them anymore, they only make Xsight color which I found it for 80 including shipping. I think the two are mostly the same considering I'm not going to use RF. Does it worth buying "used"? Are those Xsight remote reliable?
post #4 of 10 Old 07-23-2014, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze2k View Post
Most of Xsight touch are used on ebay (except some guy who is selling 3 new ones quite cheap if its not a scam) I don't think they make them anymore, they only make Xsight color which I found it for 80 including shipping. I think the two are mostly the same considering I'm not going to use RF. Does it worth buying "used"? Are those Xsight remote reliable?
I have the Logitech Harmony 650 and the more I use it the more I like it.
I use it with a no-name DVR (Homeworx 150) which it supports fully so I'm sure it would support all your devices and then some.

The only complaint I have is that it uses a lot of batteries. Every time someone brushes the table, it turns on. I'd like to turn down the sensitivity of the motion detector that turns it on but I couldn't see how to do that.

Cable-free since Nov 2013
post #5 of 10 Old 07-23-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Chinese vendor had lots of Xsights like new in the past few months. I have 6 of them now I think. Ch buttons started to go on a couple after about 3 years. Otherwise reliable. Discontinued in the US last year. I thought they were still being sold in Europe. IMO there are very few good remotes made today, so I have no problem with old ones. Some of my remotes are 15+ years old and still going strong.

650 is cheap, simple and still being made. Current software has no backlight time adjustment like in the old software. My 650's have been reliable. My older Harmony's have not.

The Xsight Color is a terrible remote. Very bulky and eats batteries.

Last edited by mdavej; 07-23-2014 at 07:59 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-23-2014, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

I'm a bit in doubt I should go for the 650 which I know is inferior to the 785 I'm still using in terms of features (smaller display and only 4 buttons for it, no cradle, fewer devices) The Xsight touch seems more attractive and its also cheaper so I'm putting it in front of the 650. Also i found Nevo C2 which seems to be the same remote as the Xsight colour I found it dirt cheap like 15E new and I'm also considering it even if it looks a bit fater, don't really care about the batteries cause I will use rechargeable.
Its kinda down to the below:
1.Xsight touch for 25-35E
2.Nevo C2 for 15-20Euro
3.Harmony 650 for 50E
If anyone has any other suggestions/objections please tell now, and thanks for your help

Last edited by blaze2k; 07-23-2014 at 12:00 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-23-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Great price on the Nevo (identical to the Color). C3 is the same as Touch. Since the drawbacks don't bother you, I say go for it.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-24-2014, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Went for the touch cause it has a few advantages like touch screen, cradle and a bit less bulky and lets face it 15E is not the end of the world considering how much the Harmony 785 was . Thanks for the help and I hope I did a good choice.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-07-2014, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Forgot to post an impression about the xsight touch and I can only say its great, bought it for 25E which is a ridiculous price and funny its better than the Harmony 785. It took me even less time to configure than the Harmony and now I'm thinking if I should by a spare just in case. The only thing left to be seen is the reliability but I doubt it can be worst then the 785.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-07-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Glad to hear it. If you want to get even more awesomeness out of the Touch, check out Remote Master:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14804
Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page