Simple learning remote recommendation - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-31-2014, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Simple learning remote recommendation

I'm looking for a learning remote control to do the following things
tv - on/off, input
stereo - on, volume up, volume down
no name media player - on/off, fw, rw, play, subtitles, etc (most of the remaining buttons on the remote!)

I'm looking at this remote here http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SRP510...pr_product_top

which looks almost perfect... except I would like to have only a single profile on the remote. I want the buttons TV, DVD, CBL to be used as power buttons. I'm guessing that it is not possible on this remote. Is this correct? Do you guys know of any remotes where this is possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-31-2014, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 148
get a harmony remote.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-01-2014, 06:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Any learning remote will work as long as you don't try to repurpose the device selection buttons. Just use different buttons for power, like the colored ones. It's usually a simple matter to program any button to perform any function, except the device selection keys. Or better yet, use macros.

However a JP1 remote will allow you to do that if you also get a programming cable. Check out the RCA RCRP05BR. A URC WR7 can also repurpose the device key using pauses in the first macro step.

Last edited by mdavej; 09-01-2014 at 08:59 AM.
post #4 of 12 Old 09-01-2014, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post
get a harmony remote.
Are you recommending it because you 'can' use one button to turn on/off all 3 devices at the same time? I haven't found this feature works very well. Also I want to turn on/off all the devices independently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
However a JP1 remote will allow you to do that if you also get a programming cable. Check out the RCA RCRP05BR. A URC WR7 can also repurpose the device key using pauses in the first macro step.
Just to clarify, are you saying that a JP1 remote will allow me to repurpose device selection buttons as I desire?

I've looked into getting a RCA RCRP05BR but I'm in Canada and the cheapest I can find it for here is $50. It certainly would be a good option if I could find a more reasonable price for it
post #5 of 12 Old 09-01-2014, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 1
If you have a smart phone or tablet and wifi you might look at this as an option. You can make a custom remote that the buttons do whatever youn want.

Broadlink WIFI Phone/Tablet IR Remote

Notice on the pictured remote below I have my Roku grouped with amp and tv buttons I might use at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roku.png
Views:	46
Size:	420.2 KB
ID:	240898  
post #6 of 12 Old 09-01-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperpansy View Post
Are you recommending it because you 'can' use one button to turn on/off all 3 devices at the same time? I haven't found this feature works very well. Also I want to turn on/off all the devices independently.
Works perfectly if you use discrete on/off codes rather than toggle.

Harmony will keep track of what's on or off and react accordingly so you don't get unintended results.

What would be a better approach is use an activity model and discretes. For example, make a Watch TV activity that turns on your cable box and TV and possibly AVR, then a Watch Movie activity that turns on your TV, AVR and disc player. Much easier that managing all that manually.
Quote:
Just to clarify, are you saying that a JP1 remote will allow me to repurpose device selection buttons as I desire?
Yes. Terrible idea IMO, but yes it will. Not sure how you'll do device selection once you remove that capability from your remote.

Quote:
I've looked into getting a RCA RCRP05BR but I'm in Canada and the cheapest I can find it for here is $50. It certainly would be a good option if I could find a more reasonable price for it
That's just an example. There are hundreds of JP1 remote models. I have no idea which ones are available in Canada. Maybe go to the one-for-all website and see.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-01-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
There are older remotes that can have the device keys hold a taught command, the sony rm-vl600 and urc rf10. Each are true learning remotes, meaning they have enough learning memory to teach a command to every key in every device without running out. With the Rf10 there's enough for two commands on each key, using its shift function. check ebay.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-02-2014, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help everyone . The JP1 remotes look the most interesting but I couldn't find one cheap.

Of all places Princess Auto had some cheap remotes so I bought 2 learning ones to play with

$12 Refurb Phillips prestigo SRU 6006 ( A poor man's harmony)
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/Vide...mote/8551897.p

$3 learning remote
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/Vide...mote/8572117.p

Hoping for the best
post #9 of 12 Old 09-03-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

That $3 one is probably a JP1 remote. When you get it, see if there is a 6 pin connector in the battery bay. If so, you can get a JP1 cable and program it any way you like. Simple stuff can be done without a cable but not wiping out the device buttons like you want.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-10-2014, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again @mdavej I may look into that

I have got the Phillips remote set up, seems to work pretty decently.

I'm having a bit of an issue when holding down a button through (eg. like the right arrow key)... The Phillips remote kind of lags. It feels like the timing of the repeated signal is different than the original remotes...

Do the better remotes, such as HARMONY, still have this minor annoyance? Is this a pretty common thing?
post #11 of 12 Old 09-10-2014, 08:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Learns won't repeat properly. Built in codes will. Remote doesn't matter.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-11-2014, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks @mdavej , exactly what I was looking for
Reply Remote Control Area
Gear in this thread - rm-vl600 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page