Extending Harmony IR mini blasters - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #31 of 97 Old 11-20-2015, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 145
RJ45 breakout board with screw terminals, wouldnt let me edit.

http://www.gravitech.us/rjbrbo.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 97 Old 11-20-2015, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
This would be a lot easier if Logitech just used the standard 3.5mm connections.
They did, originally. URC started with 2.5mm and everyone blasted them for it, so they changed to 3.5mm.
post #33 of 97 Old 11-20-2015, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by highfigh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
This would be a lot easier if Logitech just used the standard 3.5mm connections.
They did, originally. URC started with 2.5mm and everyone blasted them for it, so they changed to 3.5mm.
Logitech wouldn't sell as many accessories, if they were easy to buy elsewhere.

post #34 of 97 Old 11-21-2015, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked: 645
3.5mm female to 2.5mm male for $0.35.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2
azz7686 likes this.

post #35 of 97 Old 11-30-2015, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Wireless IR blaster

Is there a wireless version of this solution? Most of my equipment is in an A/V closet, but my TV is in the main room on the other side of the wall.
post #36 of 97 Old 11-30-2015, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2277 Post(s)
Liked: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDanDetroit View Post
Is there a wireless version of this solution? Most of my equipment is in an A/V closet, but my TV is in the main room on the other side of the wall.
Put the hub in the closet. Control the TV directly from the remote. The Hub IS the wireless version of this solution.
post #37 of 97 Old 11-30-2015, 12:21 PM

Wireless IR blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Put the hub in the closet. Control the TV directly from the remote. The Hub IS the wireless version of this solution.
Thanks for the reply... but... Doesn't work if I'm using my smartphone or IFTTT to control it... :-/
post #38 of 97 Old 11-30-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply... but... Doesn't work if I'm using my smartphone or IFTTT to control it... :-/
So you have at least an HDMI cable running from the closet to the TV, right. Pull another cable for an emitter. They can be very, very small gauge. Mine are almost invisible. Otherwise, you'll have to use a second repeater system or HDMI control if possible.
post #39 of 97 Old 12-02-2015, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Cat5 IR for Harmony!

A couple of you mentioned splicing into Cat5. I called up CablesForLess, and they set up a SKU for my custom cables: RJ45 on one end, and two 2.5mm plugs on the other. A second cable with RJ45 on one end, and two 2.5mm jacks on the other. They are wired to match (male and female) on both ends.

I ordered 1 foot cables, and they plug into my hub with no issue, then to a wall jack which then runs about 100' to my rack. That end gets the female set, and a blaster for all my downstairs equipment and a pair of emitters for duplicated equipment (TWC cable boxes).

I got a second set for my upstairs setup, feeding three TV's and audio from a separate hub, placed centrally to ensure radio reception.

The cables make for a super-clean solution, and work great without depending on my (very) limited soldering skills.

Happy to share the SKU, and contact info at CablesForLess. Tom was great about making sure they built exactly what I needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	adapters for Harmony IR.JPG
Views:	2720
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1093810  
post #40 of 97 Old 12-16-2015, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfmueller View Post
A couple of you mentioned splicing into Cat5. I called up CablesForLess, and they set up a SKU for my custom cables: RJ45 on one end, and two 2.5mm plugs on the other. A second cable with RJ45 on one end, and two 2.5mm jacks on the other. They are wired to match (male and female) on both ends.

I ordered 1 foot cables, and they plug into my hub with no issue, then to a wall jack which then runs about 100' to my rack. That end gets the female set, and a blaster for all my downstairs equipment and a pair of emitters for duplicated equipment (TWC cable boxes).

I got a second set for my upstairs setup, feeding three TV's and audio from a separate hub, placed centrally to ensure radio reception.

The cables make for a super-clean solution, and work great without depending on my (very) limited soldering skills.

Happy to share the SKU, and contact info at CablesForLess. Tom was great about making sure they built exactly what I needed.

Hi pfmueller,

It sounds like you have what might be the most elegant/clean solution for extending the range of the Harmony cables. I'm looking at around 60' of extra range to cover, and I will be having some cable run for cat6, hdmi and an IR "blaster" of some sort. Vendor-provided IR cables are all very short, though, including the Harmony one.

Can you please help me make sure I understand your setup and the cable? It looks like the cable receives the male end of the IR blaster and goes into a cat5 jack. I would then have cat5 run to another jack in my closet housing the receiver/AV gear, and then in my closet the second cable you mention with the male end would connect that jack to the plug on the Logitech hub. Is that correct?

As I said above, I'm already having cat6 installed in several rooms, running back to a patch panel in a completely different room. I am guessing I should have your cat5 solution on a separate isolated point to point cable/jack setup, instead of feeding back to that panel.

If my assumptions are correct and you think it'll work, I would love to have that SKU and contact you mentioned in your post. Thanks in advance!

-Brian
post #41 of 97 Old 12-16-2015, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bml42 View Post
Hi pfmueller,

It sounds like you have what might be the most elegant/clean solution for extending the range of the Harmony cables. I'm looking at around 60' of extra range to cover, and I will be having some cable run for cat6, hdmi and an IR "blaster" of some sort. Vendor-provided IR cables are all very short, though, including the Harmony one.

Can you please help me make sure I understand your setup and the cable? It looks like the cable receives the male end of the IR blaster and goes into a cat5 jack. I would then have cat5 run to another jack in my closet housing the receiver/AV gear, and then in my closet the second cable you mention with the male end would connect that jack to the plug on the Logitech hub. Is that correct?

As I said above, I'm already having cat6 installed in several rooms, running back to a patch panel in a completely different room. I am guessing I should have your cat5 solution on a separate isolated point to point cable/jack setup, instead of feeding back to that panel.

If my assumptions are correct and you think it'll work, I would love to have that SKU and contact you mentioned in your post. Thanks in advance!

-Brian
Just run another CAT6 cable. There is no need for a special CAT5 run if you are already doing CAT6.

post #42 of 97 Old 12-16-2015, 09:54 AM

I guess I should have been more careful with how I worded it! I agree, I would just use cat6 and wouldn't run cat5 just for this. My main point of clarification on the cabling is that it should probably be point to point, separate cabling that runs to the a/v closet and not to the patch panel. Otherwise we're adding a lot more length and complexity to the solution.
post #43 of 97 Old 12-16-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
I guess I should have been more careful with how I worded it! I agree, I would just use cat6 and wouldn't run cat5 just for this. My main point of clarification on the cabling is that it should probably be point to point, separate cabling that runs to the a/v closet and not to the patch panel. Otherwise we're adding a lot more length and complexity to the solution.
So I'm reading more about the product and it looks like I've misunderstood how the Harmony Elite works. Based on what I've read tonight it appears that the remote doesn't need any IR receiver at the viewing location, the only cables run from the hub to the vicinity of the devices to be controlled. If that's the case I won't need any extra cables since everything I'm looking to control at this time will be in the same spot.
post #44 of 97 Old 12-16-2015, 09:05 PM

That's how all RF universal remotes work.
post #45 of 97 Old 12-17-2015, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So I'm reading more about the product and it looks like I've misunderstood how the Harmony Elite works. Based on what I've read tonight it appears that the remote doesn't need any IR receiver at the viewing location, the only cables run from the hub to the vicinity of the devices to be controlled. If that's the case I won't need any extra cables since everything I'm looking to control at this time will be in the same spot.
The benefit of running the cables to devices in your viewing location is you never have to worry about pointing the remote at the TV/projector. You can fire off the startup activity and put the remote down. This is really more for making it foolproof. I run an IR line to my TV (over CAT6), but I've got six IR outputs on my URC MRF-350 to spare. The Harmony hubs make things difficult by only giving like two outputs and using 2.5mm jacks. Not a big deal, but it was simple for my case.

post #46 of 97 Old 12-19-2015, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

pfmueller, is it possible you can post the SKU number for the cables at CableForLess.
post #47 of 97 Old 01-03-2016, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ready Made 2.5mm 6 Foot Extension Cable

[If all you need is a six foot extension cable, Amazon carries one from "Your Cable Store" for $6.09. Search under: YCS Basic 6 foot 2.5mm male to 2.5mm female mono extension cable.
post #48 of 97 Old 01-15-2016, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Note on the original post:

For the hub side, I accidentally ordered the mono 2.5mm plug to stereo 3.5mm jack adapter (part 7122 at Monoprice, instead the correct part, 7121). I realized the error after my order, but figured, since I'd be converting back from stereo to mono on the other end (with adapter 7125), it wouldn't matter.

Unfortunately, it appears to matter. Using adapter 7122 --> 25' 3.5mm stereo cable --> 7125 adapter --> Logitech blaster yields no signal. I have ordered the 7121 adapter, which will hopefully fix the issue. My only guess is that there are some resistors or some such in the mono --> stereo adapter, which are causing the issue. (Note- in my test, plugging the blaster directly into the hub works as expected, so I know both the mini-blaster as well as the output port are working).
post #49 of 97 Old 01-21-2016, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstroven View Post
[If all you need is a six foot extension cable, Amazon carries one from "Your Cable Store" for $6.09. Search under: YCS Basic 6 foot 2.5mm male to 2.5mm female mono extension cable.
Thanks I just ordered one. If you need to go longer than 6 feet just order more and connect them.
http://www.amazon.com/YCS-Basics-2-5.../dp/B00S1MU0OA

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #50 of 97 Old 01-21-2016, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
A followup to my last post-

I received the correct adapter- mono 2.5mm plug to mono 3.5mm jack, and it fixed the issue.

Additionally, I tried using said adapter with a generic IR emitter (this one) and it too worked. So, you don't necessarily have to use the mini-blasters (I am only posting this, as I could not find the answer to that question anywhere on the web).

tl;dr:

Harmony Hub --> Monoprice 7121 adapter --> 3.5mm IR Emitter DOES appear to work.
post #51 of 97 Old 03-03-2016, 05:09 PM

I have a question for someone with much more experience than me. I have an existing Sonance IR repeater system installed with a CB1 block in the closet with the components. My thought was to cut the IR Blaster and tie into the CB1 block and using the existing repeaters already connected to my components. I cut the wire and there are only 2 wires. The Sonance repeaters have 12v/Ground/Signal. Any ideas of if this will work and if so, how to wire it? I don't want to do something stupid and short out the hub. There is a bare wire and one in a white sleeve. I hooked it up with white as signal and bare as ground and no dice. Your insight is hugely appreciated!
post #52 of 97 Old 03-03-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Hammond View Post
I have a question for someone with much more experience than me. I have an existing Sonance IR repeater system installed with a CB1 block in the closet with the components. My thought was to cut the IR Blaster and tie into the CB1 block and using the existing repeaters already connected to my components. I cut the wire and there are only 2 wires. The Sonance repeaters have 12v/Ground/Signal. Any ideas of if this will work and if so, how to wire it? I don't want to do something stupid and short out the hub. There is a bare wire and one in a white sleeve. I hooked it up with white as signal and bare as ground and no dice. Your insight is hugely appreciated!
CORRECTION: the way I have it wired WORKS. I retraced everything and found a loose connection. I hope this info is helpful for someone else.
post #53 of 97 Old 04-19-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:

I tried PMing this poster, but they might not be around any more. Does anyone have the CablesForLess SKU that he is referring to in this post? I'm still looking for a solution to extend my IR blaster from one side of a wall to the other.
post #54 of 97 Old 04-23-2016, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
I tried PMing this poster, but they might not be around any more. Does anyone have the CablesForLess SKU that he is referring to in this post? I'm still looking for a solution to extend my IR blaster from one side of a wall to the other.
I have an Harmony ultimate and I got a 2.5mm to 3.5mm converter to a mono split Y 3.5 mm male to two female cable to get a total of 4 cables off of my hub. I ran 3.5 mm male to male 3.5 mm cables from that into the IR input of my Marantz AV7702 mkII. It doesn't seem to control that or my Motorola DCT-6412 DVR set top box, which also has an IR. This specific cable previously worked to control a Onkyo PR-SC885, albeit with a URC remote control. Is there anything special I should be doing to make this work? There doesn't seem to be any options in the harmony software to adjust.

Thank you for your help.
post #55 of 97 Old 04-25-2016, 11:36 AM

The IR jack on your Motorola is a blaster port for controlling another device like a VCR, not an input port. So that's never going to work. You'll have to use an emitter instead.

Your Marantz has IR input AND output ports. Confirm you're connected to the right one and that your pin-out is correct (stereo vs. mono). Marantz also has a Remote Lock setting that may need to be changed.
nathan_h likes this.

Last edited by mdavej; 04-25-2016 at 11:46 AM.
post #56 of 97 Old 05-02-2016, 11:24 AM

Cool

Quote:
FINALLY found what I was looking for (although it's apparently been around for a while)! The X10 Powermid PM5900 Remote Control Extender kit (available on Amazon)! One little pyramid receives the IR blast from the Harmony Hub in the A/V closet, converts it to its own RF signal, and sends it to another little pyramid that is out in front of the TV in the family room. (It's basically the reverse direction of my hub and remote.) What this allows me to do, however, is turn on or off my entire entertainment system (A/V receiver, cable box, and TV) using the Harmony app on my phone or (better yet) through the Amazon Echo! Very cool!... finally!
post #57 of 97 Old 05-20-2016, 03:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
IR Hub output to Sony Bravia IR Input

great thread and thanks to all for their setup descriptions. I am trying to do something a little different, I want to take the IR hub output and run it through a 3.5mm stereo cable and go directly into my XBR 65X850C IR input jack. I used a 2.5mm to 3.5mm stereo adapter (it was actually labeled a mono/stereo adapter) connected to the 3.5mm stereo cable plugged directly into the TV. Do I just need to switch the adapter on the hub side to mono?

Not clear on how the signals go from point to point ....

Thanks in advance!
post #58 of 97 Old 08-12-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLT1 View Post
A followup to my last post-

I received the correct adapter- mono 2.5mm plug to mono 3.5mm jack, and it fixed the issue.

Additionally, I tried using said adapter with a generic IR emitter ( and it too worked. So, you don't necessarily have to use the mini-blasters (I am only posting this, as I could not find the answer to that question anywhere on the web).

tl;dr:

Harmony Hub --> Monoprice 7121 adapter --> 3.5mm IR Emitter DOES appear to work.
Thank You! I have been searching for this answer for a long time!!
post #59 of 97 Old 08-30-2016, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sounds like though you have to deal with size adapters any IR blaster equipment should work... good news...

Now I am posting this question because it sounds like those here have dealt with my situation.

I have a media closet (on the opposite side of the wall of my TV). The rack in the closet is one level with all items side by side; receiver, HTPC, Dish/DVR, PS4/3. Right now I am using a URC RF system with direct stick on ir emitters on each controlled system.

Am thinking of Harmony. 1. for support as URC software is limited for DIY and OS support gets iffy. 2. PS4 BT support.

Finally my question. How well does the hub built in blaster work? From the videos they say to place it on top of your AV equipment but this seems counter intuitive since IR generally works best with direct line of site, so you would think the hub should be facing the AV not on top (my closet and horizontal layout might be too small for this)?????

I would love to get rid of the wires but consistent functionality is more important. I do love my URC remote though... Wish there was a ps4 ir2BT system like there was for ps3 /shrug.

Thanks
post #60 of 97 Old 09-27-2016, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So would this 2.5 Stereo extension cable do the trick?
https://www.amazon.com/Your-Cable-St...dp/B000Z0YECU/

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandirk View Post
Finally my question. How well does the hub built in blaster work? From the videos they say to place it on top of your AV equipment but this seems counter intuitive since IR generally works best with direct line of site, so you would think the hub should be facing the AV not on top (my closet and horizontal layout might be too small for this)?????
The hub works well in the cabinet for me, I think it really does "blast" and the IR bounces around inside the cabinet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page